mixed visit

tesa
tesa Member Posts: 123
well I and my mom and sister are at md anderson and i have learned that the original surgeon at MUSC IN charleston probably didn't get the whole tumor out last year from the sinus from mom. now she's 83 and the surgery this doctor is talking abbout maybe doing is 9 hours to totally remove eye, muscles socket, nerves and clear out sinuses. so they said they may not do surgery based on age and heart disease. we meet with 4 doctors tomorrow on the team so they can assess her. The new surgeon in Charleston said she was a good candidae for surgery and that it would be curative when she saw him last month. I don't think chemo works well with this type of cancer and they said she can't get radition again. I am really depressed right now and want to take her back to the new surgon in Charleston, who actually did his felloship at MDA. I know I need to wait to hear what the doctors at md anderson say tomorrow, but i feel depressed. plus it always seem like they want to throw old people uder the bus when they're the main ones who get cancer. i just want to go home..

Comments

• kim50
    kim50 Member Posts: 34
    okay tessa, don't fret till
    okay tessa, don't fret till you talk to the docs tommorow, and if you think your mom can tolerate the surgery take her back to the new surgeon in Charleston and let him perform the surgery. i agree they often throw these old people under the bus wherein sometimes they can tolerate surgery well.

why can some people not have radiation twice and some people can...i don't understand this.

Also can they perform a lesser extensive surgery for cure that could last maybe 5 years and leave the extensive surgeries for the young people. i go to emory and i am not looking forward to the vist. i am tired of the battle, but people on here do give me hope.

GOD bless you your mom sweetie
  • Carolinagal
    Carolinagal Member Posts: 91
    Just curious
    Who was the Dr. @ MUSC? My dad had surgery there in 2009. It wasn't successful. I hope that all goes well tomorrow and that you and your mom will have peace about the next steps. I know it's difficult but try to stay positive.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi teas

Hang in and don’t give up just yet, I know you must be frustrated about now but you needed this second opinion. After you talk to the doctors tomorrow you can sit with your Mom and sisters and decide the way you want to go with her treatment. Whether that is back to Charleston and stay at MD Anderson, at lease now you have all the information you need and was asking for.

Take care of your Mom and do what you believe is in her best interests, no matter what the outcome. I have a daughter just like you and I thanks God everyday for her as she is always on the look out for me making sure I have everything I need.

Praying for Mom and you
    Hondo
  • tesa
    tesa Member Posts: 123

Just curious
    Who was the Dr. @ MUSC? My dad had surgery there in 2009. It wasn't successful. I hope that all goes well tomorrow and that you and your mom will have peace about the next steps. I know it's difficult but try to stay positive.

The new doctor(surgeon) is
    The new doctor(surgeon)at musc is dr. Lentsch. Who was your dad's doctor?
  • BeacherBum
    BeacherBum Member Posts: 32
    Hondo said:

Hi teas

Hang in and don’t give up just yet, I know you must be frustrated about now but you needed this second opinion. After you talk to the doctors tomorrow you can sit with your Mom and sisters and decide the way you want to go with her treatment. Whether that is back to Charleston and stay at MD Anderson, at lease now you have all the information you need and was asking for.

Take care of your Mom and do what you believe is in her best interests, no matter what the outcome. I have a daughter just like you and I thanks God everyday for her as she is always on the look out for me making sure I have everything I need.

Praying for Mom and you
    Hondo

Charleston isn't that far
    Charleston isn't that far away from the Raleigh/Durham area. If you feel you may not get the treatment you want, I suggest you look into the Cancer Hospital at UNC. That is where I was treated and the staff is top notch. PM me for more details if you want.
  • Carolinagal
    Carolinagal Member Posts: 91
    tesa said:

The new doctor(surgeon) is
    The new doctor(surgeon)at musc is dr. Lentsch. Who was your dad's doctor?

My Dad's surgeon was Dr.
    My Dad's surgeon was Dr. Boyd Gillispie. I should say too, at the time of the surgery they thought it was successful, but when the cancer came back the dr. said they must have missed a cell.
    Thanks for replying! Your family is in my prayers.