Guarana ***********FYI Only

Nana b
Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
Just an FYI for those suffering from Diarrhea. Dr Oz had this on his show for increases energy. I don't know about the caffeine, since I stopped drinking coffee for that reason, but I sure do have a lot of energy lately.

http://www.rain-tree.com/guarana.htm

TRIBAL AND HERBAL MEDICINE USES

The uses of this plant by the Amerindians predates the discovery of Brazil. South American Indian tribes (especially the Guaranis, from whence the plant's name is derived) dry and roast the seeds and mix them into a paste with water. They then use it much the same way as chocolate - to prepare various foods, drinks, and medicines. The rainforest tribes have used guaraná mainly as a stimulant and as an astringent (drying agent) for treating chronic diarrhea. It is often taken during periods of fasting to tolerate dietary restrictions better. Botanist James Duke cites past and present tribal uses in the rainforest: as a preventive for arteriosclerosis; as an effective cardiovascular drug; as an pain-reliever, astringent, stimulant, and tonic used to treat diarrhea, hypertension, fever, migraine, neuralgia, and dysentery.

Over centuries the many benefits of guaraná have been passed on to explorers and settlers. European researchers began studying guaraná (in France and Germany) in the 1940s, finding that Indians' uses to cure fevers, headaches, cramps, and as an energy tonic were well-founded. Guaraná is used and well known for its stimulant and thermogenic action. In the United States today, guaraná is reputed to increase mental alertness, fight fatigue, and increase stamina and physical endurance. Presently, guaraná is taken daily as a health tonic by millions of Brazilians, who believe it helps overcome heat fatigue, combats premature aging, detoxifies the blood, and is useful for intestinal gas, obesity, dyspepsia, fatigue, and arteriosclerosis. The plant, considered an adaptogen, is also used for heart problems, fever, headaches, migraine, neuralgia, and diarrhea. Guaraná has been used in body care products for its tonifying and astringent properties, and to reduce cellulite. Guaraná also has been used as an ingredient in shampoos for oily hair and as a ingredient in hair-loss products. In Peru the seed is used widely for neuralgia, diarrhea, dysentery, fatigue, obesity, cellulite, heart problems, hypertension, migraine, and rheumatism.

Today the plant is known and used worldwide (and is the main ingredient in the "national beverage" of Brazil: Guaraná Soda!). Eighty percent of the world's commercial production of guaraná paste is in the middle of the Amazon rainforest in northern Brazil-still performed by the Guarani Indians, who wild-harvest the seeds and process them into paste by hand. The Brazilian government has become aware of the importance of the local production of guaraná by traditional methods employed by indigenous inhabitants of the rainforest. Since 1980, FUNAI (the National Indian Foundation) has set up a number of projects to improve the local production of guaraná. Now, under the direction of the FUNAI regional authority in Manaus, many cooperatives in the rainforest support indigenous tribal economies through the harvesting and production of guaraná.

Comments

• westie66
    westie66 Member Posts: 642
    Guarana
    Hi Nana: Thanks for this. I did drink guarana in Brazil and brought home some powdered guarana to make what tastes exactly like Ginger Ale (is this a Canada only beverage?). When I'm really fatigued I take a few sips of an energy drink called Rock Star that contains guarana (and taurine and other things) which helps but these drinks are not to be taken lightly!!! They have very very very high caffeine content. In fact at my university there are signs all over warning students that more than one can a day can cause serious problems like heart palpitations (not sure if it is the guarana or what though). I've never tried the guarana for diarrhea.
    Cheryl
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    westie66 said:

Guarana
    Hi Nana: Thanks for this. I did drink guarana in Brazil and brought home some powdered guarana to make what tastes exactly like Ginger Ale (is this a Canada only beverage?). When I'm really fatigued I take a few sips of an energy drink called Rock Star that contains guarana (and taurine and other things) which helps but these drinks are not to be taken lightly!!! They have very very very high caffeine content. In fact at my university there are signs all over warning students that more than one can a day can cause serious problems like heart palpitations (not sure if it is the guarana or what though). I've never tried the guarana for diarrhea.
    Cheryl

Taking 200 mg from GNC.

Taking 200 mg from GNC.
  • SisterSledge
    SisterSledge Member Posts: 332 Member
    more energy
    Thanks Nana, I'll look into guarana further...I could sure use help with getting more energy. Fatigue and occasional diarrhea are my main chemo side effects.
  • westie66
    westie66 Member Posts: 642
    Nana b said:

Taking 200 mg from GNC.

Taking 200 mg from GNC.

Guarana
    Thanks, Nana - I'll give the pills a try as my main complaint along with the diarrhea is fatigue. We have GNC here.
    Cheryl