Stage 4 Mouth SCC- Chemo last hope

Options
So my dad stared his chemo today, finally saw doctor. Doctor said it is stage 4 and the chemo should help swelling. Said nothing positive, is it possible to beat stage 4 oral cancer with just chemo?

Amanda

Comments

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Possibilities Are Endless
    Anything is possible....

Not saying that Chemo is any less or more successful than all of the combinations...

Chemo
    Radiation
    Surgery

Any combination or those plus more....

You need to have faith in your MD's or get ones that you do...

Maintain a positive attitude and never ever give up.

Your comment/question is filled full of doubt. Just ask all of the questions you can, refer to the Superthread on here for one's you might never think of.

Thoughts & Prayers
    John
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Possibilities Are Endless
    Anything is possible....

Not saying that Chemo is any less or more successful than all of the combinations...

Chemo
    Radiation
    Surgery

Any combination or those plus more....

You need to have faith in your MD's or get ones that you do...

Maintain a positive attitude and never ever give up.

Your comment/question is filled full of doubt. Just ask all of the questions you can, refer to the Superthread on here for one's you might never think of.

Thoughts & Prayers
    John

Almost everybody here is at least stage 4
    Hi Amanda

We are almost all at least stage four. It dosen't take much to be classified stage four. Many here are doing fine.
  • Dav1965
    Dav1965 Member Posts: 132
    Options
    Sorry for your dad
    Like was mentioned earlier most here was stage 4. I was stage 4 also. I had more than chemo but listen to your doctors and do not be afraid of getting second opinions. I think it is important to have trust in your doctors. God bless you and your father. David
  • DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Palliative?
    Chemo alone is sometimes used to shrink tumors to make the patient more comfortable, but I'm wondering why they are not going with either surgery or radiation in addition. Did the doctor mention surgery as a possible option down the road after the tumor is smaller?
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    I started with just chemo
    Amanda,

Are your dad's docs saying chemo is the ONLY treatment, or the FIRST? My treatment started with chemo only (three types at the same time) - the goal was to slow the cancer, shrink the tumors and beat the cancer down. Round two of treatment wasradiation with concurrent chemo treatments - with a goal of rads finishing off the cancer cells. As it turned out, I needed a round three - surgery to remove lymph nodes. A friend of mine had chemo/radiation as the only planned treatment - this didn't get the job done - now he's doing chemo only - but the goal is to have the tumors shrink enough for surgery to be a viable option. I agree with the others - if you all don't have absolute faith in his doc, see another doc.
  • Jimbo55
    Jimbo55 Member Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Stage 4 here also
    Amanda, I was also diagnosed stage 4 for base of tongue SCC. My treatment was concurrent chemo and rads. Stage 4 is definitely not hopeless.

Confidence in your med team and a positive attitude are both very important during this treatment. If you have any questions, fears etc, don't hesitate to put them to your docs. If you are still not completely satisfied with their answers:

2nd opinions: I am still being treated by my initial medical team, although I did get a 2nd and a 3rd opinion. My ENT even encouraged us to get a 2nd opinion. No doctor should have even the slightest objection to a 2nd opinion.

One question I would have: is the chemo the only treatment they have planned or is this just the 1st stage of treatment?

Hope things work out for you and your dad. Cheers

Jimbo
  • luv4lacrosse
    luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    STAGE 4 IS CONQUERED EVERY DAY
    Hi Amanda, like some of the others have said, most of us when we find this group are already stage 4. I am enjoying living cancer free, 8 mos. post treatment.

Have faith in your medical team and do not hesitate to get other opinions if you feel your need are not being met.

Good luck

Best!!

Mike
  • luv4lacrosse
    Options
    Hi Amanda, like some of the others have said, most of us when we find this group are already stage 4. I am enjoying living cancer free, 8 mos. post treatment.

Have faith in your medical team and do not hesitate to get other opinions if you feel your need are not being met.

Good luck

Best!!

Mike
  • luv4lacrosse
    Options

Good luck

Best!!

Mike
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

Good luck

Best!!

Mike

Side Effects - Stuttering
    One of the side effects of all this treatment is stuttering, or in the case of posting...multiple posts, LOL....

Just teasing, I know a hockey player can take a little schtick, ummm slap shot, ummm checking, oh crap I gotta stop, I'm cracking myself up.... :)

~JG
  • Pumakitty
    Pumakitty Member Posts: 652
    Options
    Hi Amanda
    My dad was stage 4 with base of tongue. He just had his 1 year check up and everything is great. He did have chemo and rads. There is a great chance that he can beat this even at a stage 4. Tell him to keep fighting. My dad first doctor the ENT told us that things did not look good for my dad and he was very wrong.

Kathy
  • Pam M
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Side Effects - Stuttering
    One of the side effects of all this treatment is stuttering, or in the case of posting...multiple posts, LOL....

Just teasing, I know a hockey player can take a little schtick, ummm slap shot, ummm checking, oh crap I gotta stop, I'm cracking myself up.... :)

~JG

Or As Grandpa would say, Skiffin
    "I'm a'cuttin - but you ain't a'bleedin'" Haw haw
  • Amanda.H
    Amanda.H Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Pumakitty said:

Hi Amanda
    My dad was stage 4 with base of tongue. He just had his 1 year check up and everything is great. He did have chemo and rads. There is a great chance that he can beat this even at a stage 4. Tell him to keep fighting. My dad first doctor the ENT told us that things did not look good for my dad and he was very wrong.

Kathy

Hi everyone thank you all so
    Hi everyone thank you all so much for your stories, comments and support! This network has gotten me through these past couple of weeks. He started Chemo 2 days ago and the swelling is going down. I just hope the cancer will kill it. But we will see!

Thanks again for the support!
    Amanda
  • Pam M
    Options
    Amanda.H said:

Hi everyone thank you all so
    Hi everyone thank you all so much for your stories, comments and support! This network has gotten me through these past couple of weeks. He started Chemo 2 days ago and the swelling is going down. I just hope the cancer will kill it. But we will see!

Thanks again for the support!
    Amanda

Action - Satisfaction
    Amanda,

Glad to hear he's on the road! I felt better as soon as I started chemo - well, mentally. Felt great physically, too - when I first started. And on most of the days I didn't feel so good, I told myself that it was proof that the chemo was strong. Do well.