Triple negative right bc

lbdrn
lbdrn Member Posts: 1
I was diagnosed with triple negative right breast cancer stage 2 grade 3 clear borders and 0.26 microscopic lymph node involvement in 1 out 2 lymph nodes. I had a bilateral mastectomy and the ACT chemo protocol which I finished 2 weeks ago. Now the radiologist oncologist of the group suggested that I have 5 days a week for 5 weeks of radiation. Not sure if the benefits out weight the risk? Looking for advice.

Comments

• emamei
    emamei Member Posts: 146
    Me too...
    I was also diagnosed with Triple Negative, Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, Stage 2, Grade 3, Tumor size 3.5cm, with 2 out of 18 lymph nodes positive.

I had a lumpectomy in October, chemo from Dec. to March (4 AC and 4 Taxol) re-excision surgery in April and then a Unilateral mastectomy on June 1st as residual cancer was found post-chemo.

I too am scheduled to begin radiation treatments on July 6th. Given all the research I've done on TNBC and in speaking in length with my medical team, the benefits of radiation do outweigh the risks. As I understand it, there are few risks involved with radiation treatment and the side effects are typically skin irritation and fatigue.

TNBC is the 2nd most aggressive forms of breast cancer and must be treated aggressively. Unfortunately, surgery, chemo and radiation are the only treatment options at this point for women with TNBC.

Personally, I want to attack this disease with everything treatment available to give me the best chance for survival and lessen the chance of any recurrence.

Check out the TNBC website - www.tnbcfoundation.org for more info on treatments, the latest studies and research.

Keep us posted on what you and your oncologist decide.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    As you probably know, chemo
    As you probably know, chemo is designed to kill any cancer cells that might be roaming around your body, it's a systemic treatment.

Surgery and radiation are designed to kill cancer at the site of the cancer. Even though you've had a bilateral with clear boarders, there is some remaining breast tissue. That breast tissue is at higher risk of having a few remaining cancer cells. Radiation is designed to kill any that might be there.

My dx was TN inflammatory bc. So treatment for me was 6 rounds TAC chemo, bilateral with 14 lymph nodes removed (12 positive). Radiation for me was 44 rounds. I went 2x a day for 4 and half weeks, it was 2 1/2 to 3 hours travel time every day. It wasn't fun, but I got through it. I didn't have any blisters, but I did get very very red and had a rads rash so I was itchy too. I did/do have trouble with the fatigue. It's been almost 3 months since I ended rads and I still have some days that I just can't do anything. But those days are getting farther apart and I'm having fewer of them.

Do ask your rads onc about any impact to your lungs and other organs on the right side. My rads were on the left, so some of the rads did "catch" some of the lung and the left ventricle of the heart. So far, no issues with any of that for me.

I hope this helps with your decision. Let us know what you decide, and good luck.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

As you probably know, chemo
    As you probably know, chemo is designed to kill any cancer cells that might be roaming around your body, it's a systemic treatment.

Surgery and radiation are designed to kill cancer at the site of the cancer. Even though you've had a bilateral with clear boarders, there is some remaining breast tissue. That breast tissue is at higher risk of having a few remaining cancer cells. Radiation is designed to kill any that might be there.

My dx was TN inflammatory bc. So treatment for me was 6 rounds TAC chemo, bilateral with 14 lymph nodes removed (12 positive). Radiation for me was 44 rounds. I went 2x a day for 4 and half weeks, it was 2 1/2 to 3 hours travel time every day. It wasn't fun, but I got through it. I didn't have any blisters, but I did get very very red and had a rads rash so I was itchy too. I did/do have trouble with the fatigue. It's been almost 3 months since I ended rads and I still have some days that I just can't do anything. But those days are getting farther apart and I'm having fewer of them.

Do ask your rads onc about any impact to your lungs and other organs on the right side. My rads were on the left, so some of the rads did "catch" some of the lung and the left ventricle of the heart. So far, no issues with any of that for me.

I hope this helps with your decision. Let us know what you decide, and good luck.

Hugs,

Linda

Rads kill any stray cancer
    Rads kill any stray cancer cells left behind, so for me, I never questioned having the treatments. But, talk to your rads oncologist about any concerns you have. It is still your choice whether you have rads or not. Good luck to you.

Hugs, Megan
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Megan M said:

Rads kill any stray cancer
    Rads kill any stray cancer cells left behind, so for me, I never questioned having the treatments. But, talk to your rads oncologist about any concerns you have. It is still your choice whether you have rads or not. Good luck to you.

Hugs, Megan

Have the radiation...
    Take any and everything they can throw at this....! Normally I would say do what's right for you, but with TNBC you need all the treatment your oncologist can provide...those of us who are triple negative aren't candidates for any further treatment, like Tamoxifen, etc....I can't stress that enough!

Wishing you the best...but have the rads!
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Had the same thoughts at first...
    But then I said, hmmmm...better to hit it with all they have available now. I also think you should have a long talk with your Dr. about the risks and why it is so important to have the treatment. I personally think it is, because I like to fight rough. :/ But everyone is different.

BTW, my cancer was ER+.

Good luck!