Bilateral Mastectomy vs Mastectomy

Options
Hope818
Hope818 Member Posts: 3
I have one more Chemo treatment to go and then I may have to decide on a mastectomy or bilateral mastectomy I would like to hear what you have decided on and what to expect after the surgery. Also, if you have any great tips on how to deal with the loss of one or both breast would be appreciated.

Comments

• mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    bilateral mastectomy
    In 2005, at 43 years old, my sister died of breast cancer. When I was diagnosed last october, the mammogram was not able to see the 3 masses I had in my right breast. We did not know if the left side was effected. I decided that, instead of having to have MRI's every year, I would just have the bilateral mastectomy.
    The drains were a pain. You shouldn't move either arm so they can come out quickly. Other than that, it hasn't been that bad.

I may have a different attitude about breasts later, but for now they served their purpose years ago for feeding my kids. Now they were a liability.

Talk it over with your husband because it may matter to him. But ultimately, you need to be ok with the decision.

Cindy
  • Hope818
    Hope818 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    mamolady said:

bilateral mastectomy
    In 2005, at 43 years old, my sister died of breast cancer. When I was diagnosed last october, the mammogram was not able to see the 3 masses I had in my right breast. We did not know if the left side was effected. I decided that, instead of having to have MRI's every year, I would just have the bilateral mastectomy.
    The drains were a pain. You shouldn't move either arm so they can come out quickly. Other than that, it hasn't been that bad.

I may have a different attitude about breasts later, but for now they served their purpose years ago for feeding my kids. Now they were a liability.

Talk it over with your husband because it may matter to him. But ultimately, you need to be ok with the decision.

Cindy

Thank you for your response!
    Thank you for your response! I appreciate your advice.
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    Options
    I wish I could have had both removed.
    I only had my right breast removed due to insurance issues. I wish I could have had them both removed because my weight goes up and down (mostly up)and my remaining breast changes sizes so often that it never matches my "foob". I'm not interested in reconstruction but if that's something you want to do, then you might want to just have one breast removed? You need to do what you feel is best for you. As far as what to expect after the surgery, we are all different but for me the only pain I felt was from the drains. I had physical therapy about two weeks after my surgery to help improve my recovery. I recently saw someone wearing a T-shirt that said "Darn right they're fake....the real ones tried to kill me." If I get cancer in my other breast, I'm getting me one of those shirts!
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options
    jamiegww said:

I wish I could have had both removed.
    I only had my right breast removed due to insurance issues. I wish I could have had them both removed because my weight goes up and down (mostly up)and my remaining breast changes sizes so often that it never matches my "foob". I'm not interested in reconstruction but if that's something you want to do, then you might want to just have one breast removed? You need to do what you feel is best for you. As far as what to expect after the surgery, we are all different but for me the only pain I felt was from the drains. I had physical therapy about two weeks after my surgery to help improve my recovery. I recently saw someone wearing a T-shirt that said "Darn right they're fake....the real ones tried to kill me." If I get cancer in my other breast, I'm getting me one of those shirts!

Hi,
    I had a bilateral mastectomy on Feb. 28th, 2011. My tumor was just in my left breast no nodes. I chose to have them both removed for three reasons.

1. Peace of mind in the future, my cancer was IDC and I still would have milk ducts in the right breast had I kept it. Granted from everything I've read there is under a 15% chance that my cancer would have spread to that breast. But at least now, I won't have the fear of knowing I didn't do everything to prevent it. I don't want to do this journey again if I can help it.

2.Since I was big breasted (36DD)having an implant in one and having to do a reduction on the other, I would have been quite the challenge for my plastic surgeon. I had immediate reconstruction following my surgery, I am currently sporting tissue expanders until after my radiation treatments are over and healed. I felt I would have a better cosmetic look if both my breast were removed and the doctor had a level playing field so to speak.

3. I can't stop gravity.. I didn't want one boob to be all perky and the other hanging down to my knees when I am 80 years old and this would have been the case for me. I too fluctuate in weight (until my cancer)and the first place I would gain or lose weight would be in the chest.

Nobody can make this decision for you, you need to dig deep within and figure out what's best for you. My circumstances might not match yours. I am a 50 year old woman who's been happily married for 24 years. It was my husbands swaying that made me seriously think about taking them both and three months later, still no regrets.

Good Luck, we will be here to root you on which ever avenue your heart steers you.
    Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    First of all,
    First of all, congratulations on getting through all those chemo treatments! Just one more, it's a good milestone to reach. Is your dx inflammatory bc? If so, you'll find several of us here with that dx.

I chose a bilateral, and so far I'm happy with the decision. I had chemo first too and struggled with the decision that entire time. For me, it was as much about being even as it was about preventative measures. Ultimately, I just couldn't picture flat on one side and sagging on the other. I had rads after surgery, and it made rads easier too because I could go without a bra which was easier on my red itchy skin. (Although I looked like a Dr. Seuss character, all stomach and flat chest.)

Whatever you decide, I recommend that you (and your hubby) take some time to say goodbye and to mourn the loss before the surgery. I believe that letting go before the actual surgery made recovery smoother because I was in a better place mentally and emotionally.

As for the surgery itself, you'll want to be sure everything (dishes, clothes, food) can be easily reached, neither too high or to low. You'll also want garments that open in the front, as you won't be able to reach over your head to put on and take off clothes. Be sure and talk to your doc about which exercises to do after surgery and when to start them. The exercises will make a big difference in getting your range of motion back.

Once I got home I slept in bed with a wedge pillow a couple of regular bed pillows behind me. It made it easier to sit up and get out of bed. I also used some smaller pillows to support my arms, just for a more comfortable position. Some here have slept in recliners for a little while.

Finally, be sure and take your pain meds. It's easier to control any pain if you stay "in front" of it.

I wish you peace with your decision. Please keep coming back and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs,

Linda
  • kjrpcb
    kjrpcb Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Bilateral v: single mastectomy
    My cancer was only on the left side. I elected to do a prophylactic mastectomy on the right side because I wanted to lessen the chances of recurrence in that breast. Plus I knew I would have reconstruction surgery after treatment and I like symmetry. The surgery itself was easier than I expected it to be . Pain was minimal and I was back to work in three weeks. But rememeber we are all different you may need more time to recover. It was kind of a no brainer for me and I didn't really have to deal with loss issues. In my mind my breasts were trying to kill me and I wanted both of them removed.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Like Linda - I'm another
    Like Linda - I'm another IBCer. I had a unilateral (single) mastectomy though. Bilateral was never suggested by any of my DRs. Personally, I'm glad that I didn't have a bi (unless it had been needed). Had it been suggested as needed -0 would have done it but it wasn't so didn't and I'm quite comfortable with my decision.

We are all so unique that there is no one 'right' answer for all. Get all the info you can and let it and your heart be your guide.

Susan
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Hope
    I had bil. mast. the surgery was scary but I didn't have any problems. I'm glad I had both taken, I did not have reconstruction and that was a good decision for me. I don't think about the loss of my breasts, I just focus on the fact that I am here and doing pretty good so far. It's hard to make such a major decision but all I can say is talk to others who had to go through this and your family and of course your doctors.
    We are here for you any time if you have any questions or concernes.
    Hugs,
    Annette
  • NinnieD
    NinnieD Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Bilateral
    I chose to have a bilateral - my cancer was in my left breast - my reasoning for the bilateral were just as the Three listed above... I have no regrets at this point - My surgery was done on March 10th and I began reconstructive surgery immediately. I am still in that process, actually just waiting for the final op. I am also having my last Chemo treatment tomorrow #4 and DONE!!!

Like all, everyone is different, I really did feel a choice to be made as soon as I felt my lump in my breast, I knew in my heart it was cancer and I immediately told/ask my husband I want both off, and he agreed due to losing his mother to breast cancer many years ago.

I wish you the best in whatever decision that you make, I know it is difficult, I had a hard time deciding to do Chemo, because it was a choice not a must, however I thought of it as an insurance policy, tomorrow as I said will be my last, however I still dread it.

In my thoughts and prayers - Keep all posted

God's Grace
    Lisa