Femara and Side Effects

Options
Chickadee1955
Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 355 Member
Ladies,

I'm interested to know if any of you have any of these side effects from Femara:

Bone pain, particularly in hands.

Trigger joints in fingers/thumbs.

Heaviness in legs.

General fatigue and lack of desire to move.

Pain in legs, joints, particularly knees. (I can barely get up from a chair, the ground and don't even think about squatting down!)

Sleep problems.

Numbness in hands.

I talked to my oncologist and we discontinued Femara for several weeks a few months ago because of knee pain. I didn't notice a huge difference and went back on. Now I have all of the above and its worse than ever. I found a website called askapatient.com and I was shocked to find that many, many women on Femara have the exact same issues. The one that startled me most is the 'trigger' joints in the hands. I have that with my right thumb and just assumed it was related to working at a keyboard all day, old age, you name it.

I have decided I am going off the Femara. I am scheduled to see my onc next week. My question now is whether to change meds to Tamoxifen. Some of these treatments make life miserable. I am beginning to think I'd rather have my quality of life back than take any of these meds.

Do you think the benefit of the anti-hormone meds outweigh the misery?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Chickadee

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hey Chickadee,
    I've been on Femera (actually generic now) since December. The only side effect I have is problems with my knees. I have no problems walking or on the machines at the gym. However, if I sit for a long period of time or get down on the floor, I have a hard time getting up. I am definitely not used to this! My Onc is hoping that it won't be as bad now that I had my last Herceptin infusion last week. It's not something that I can't live with.

Hope you get some relief.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • CAchick
    CAchick Member Posts: 277
    Options
    Me, too...
    Hi, I have been taking Femara since April 2010. I have many of the SE you mentioned, in fact all of them except trigger joints. All the pain, feeling like I move like a 90 year old...
    Hand pain is really bad. I told my husband once that I never thought about how many bones I have in my hands/wrists until now...
    I am not sure about the benefits vs the side effects...
    I am still taking it so far though.
    Let me know what you decide!
    Sybil
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Hey Chickadee,
    I've been on Femera (actually generic now) since December. The only side effect I have is problems with my knees. I have no problems walking or on the machines at the gym. However, if I sit for a long period of time or get down on the floor, I have a hard time getting up. I am definitely not used to this! My Onc is hoping that it won't be as bad now that I had my last Herceptin infusion last week. It's not something that I can't live with.

Hope you get some relief.

xoxo,
    Jean

I'm on it
    I've been on it for almost a month and so far so good I was having joint pain before i started it and i couldn't get up off the floor before either,I am having mild cramps in the stomach and hot flashes but so far it's doable. MOLLYZ
  • Chickadee1955
    Options
    CAchick said:

Me, too...
    Hi, I have been taking Femara since April 2010. I have many of the SE you mentioned, in fact all of them except trigger joints. All the pain, feeling like I move like a 90 year old...
    Hand pain is really bad. I told my husband once that I never thought about how many bones I have in my hands/wrists until now...
    I am not sure about the benefits vs the side effects...
    I am still taking it so far though.
    Let me know what you decide!
    Sybil

Sybil,
    I've decided I am

Sybil,

I've decided I am definitely giving up the Femara; in fact, I stopped taking it a couple of days ago. I just can't decide if I want to give Tamoxifen a try. My sister takes Tamoxifen and she tolerates it better than Femara, but it has side effects of its own, including thinning hair.

My onc told me before that the protocol for treating my type of cancer is 5 years on anti-hormone drug of some kind, but I'm thinking that I don't want to do any of them. I'll talk to her next week about just what percentage improvement in chance of recurrence I am getting by taking the drug. I can't imagine feeling this way--or worse--for the next 4.5 years.

I also am going to drop the Boniva that I have been on since starting Femara. Tamoxifen isn't supposed to be so hard on your bone density. I've been reading some very scary stuff about biphosphonates and risks vs benefits.

Breast cancer--the gift that just keeps on giving.......................
  • CAchick
    CAchick Member Posts: 277
    Options

Sybil,
    I've decided I am

Sybil,

I've decided I am definitely giving up the Femara; in fact, I stopped taking it a couple of days ago. I just can't decide if I want to give Tamoxifen a try. My sister takes Tamoxifen and she tolerates it better than Femara, but it has side effects of its own, including thinning hair.

My onc told me before that the protocol for treating my type of cancer is 5 years on anti-hormone drug of some kind, but I'm thinking that I don't want to do any of them. I'll talk to her next week about just what percentage improvement in chance of recurrence I am getting by taking the drug. I can't imagine feeling this way--or worse--for the next 4.5 years.

I also am going to drop the Boniva that I have been on since starting Femara. Tamoxifen isn't supposed to be so hard on your bone density. I've been reading some very scary stuff about biphosphonates and risks vs benefits.

Breast cancer--the gift that just keeps on giving.......................

Thanks for the info!
    You've given me some food for thought. I am going to try to find some articles, or reseach. If I can get out of taking this drug, I would like to. I am going to talk to my onc about the Femara, too...
    I'll post something after I see him (few more months)... THXS!
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Femara has not been nasty to me.
    I've been on Femara for 17 mths and so far, to the best of my knowledge, have had no SE's from it. I do have some aches and pains but then I've had them for yeasrs from old injuries and the arthritis I've had for years; there are nights that I don't sleep good but then that's nothing new either; I don't have the stamina/endurance I once had but then I'm older than I was years ago so that's to be expected to some degree. I've never had 'hot flashes' but then I never had any when I went through natural menopause at 44 either.

We're all different.

Susan
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Femara has not been nasty to me.
    I've been on Femara for 17 mths and so far, to the best of my knowledge, have had no SE's from it. I do have some aches and pains but then I've had them for yeasrs from old injuries and the arthritis I've had for years; there are nights that I don't sleep good but then that's nothing new either; I don't have the stamina/endurance I once had but then I'm older than I was years ago so that's to be expected to some degree. I've never had 'hot flashes' but then I never had any when I went through natural menopause at 44 either.

We're all different.

Susan

Just because you asked....
    Truthfully, I had every one of the same side effects. I tried the other 2 aromatase inhibitors also with the same results.
    Try Aromisin or Arimidex if your doctor suggests them. These are different than Tamoxifin, but you always can try that too.
    There are many options before you give up on them.

Good luck and keep us posted. The great debate~ quality of life is something I do understand.

HUGS,
    Wanda
  • Chickadee1955
    Options

Just because you asked....
    Truthfully, I had every one of the same side effects. I tried the other 2 aromatase inhibitors also with the same results.
    Try Aromisin or Arimidex if your doctor suggests them. These are different than Tamoxifin, but you always can try that too.
    There are many options before you give up on them.

Good luck and keep us posted. The great debate~ quality of life is something I do understand.

HUGS,
    Wanda

Wanda,
    What did you end up

Wanda,

What did you end up taking? Are you taking anything right now?

I'll let you know what I do after seeing Dr. next week.

Thanks for the hugs, too! ;D
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

Wanda,
    What did you end up

Wanda,

What did you end up taking? Are you taking anything right now?

I'll let you know what I do after seeing Dr. next week.

Thanks for the hugs, too! ;D

I'm not on anything
    I'm not on anything Chickadee but I'm very careful to say that is my decision and I don't recommend it.
    Most of the women here can handle the SE's and some are even lucky enough not to have any.
    I sincerely hope that another medication will work better for you.
    I wish you the very best.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

I'm not on anything
    I'm not on anything Chickadee but I'm very careful to say that is my decision and I don't recommend it.
    Most of the women here can handle the SE's and some are even lucky enough not to have any.
    I sincerely hope that another medication will work better for you.
    I wish you the very best.
    Hugs,
    Wanda

My AI info today
    Ah yes, the gift that keeps on giving. . .

I have no SE from Arimidex unless the no hair thing is a SE - and it could be.

I saw both my surgeon and medical oncologist today. Surgeon asked how I was doing on Arimidex and said if my hot flashes got bad they could prescribe something for that. My hot flashes are minimal to almost unexistent and I have no other side effects. I'm fine, thank you. No more drugs.

Now, about the hair thinning thing. As you know, I don't have much hair since chemo. Med oncologist said it might be the Arimidex or it might be the chemo (she actually admitted that any chemo can rarely cause permanent hair loss - like the cells aren't just stunned, they're dead). She browsed the other aromatase inhibitors and they ALL list alopecia as a side effect. Tamoxifen, too. She did say that even tho they all do the same thing, sometimes women will have a certain side effect on one, but not another, and they have no explanation for this, so switching to another might let me grow hair.

She was thinking about switching me to Femera, but it seems the generic Femera manufacturers are doing so well that they're out of the drug until September. I may change to that in December, but I'm going to wait and see what happens to my hair in the meantime. It might wake up.

Have you tried any of the other aromatase inhibitors? I hate that you're having such awful side effects. I really, really hate cancer.

Suzanne
  • krw14
    krw14 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Femara Side Effects
    I was put on Femara after completing five years of tamoxifen for a stage 1 tumor that was estrogen receptive. I had joint pain and hot flashes on tamoxifen, but it wasn't until I was on Femara that I truly understood the meaning of the word "agony." I have the same complaints I hear from so many women on this dreadful drug: crippling knee pain, inability to stand after sitting for any length of time, all-over pain, feeling like I'm 90 years old (I'm 59), and most recently, four trigger fingers and stiffness and pain in my hands and fingers. Chickadee, you ask if the benefits of the anti-hormone meds outweigh the misery. I wish our oncologists understood that they absolutely do not. Most of us aren't aware that we're suffering through all this disability for an average 2.9% improvement in our risk of not having a recurrence. You read that right: 2.9%--a less than 3% improvement. And for those of us who already did years on tamoxifen, the improvement is even less than this. If you want the full low-down, read Dr. Susan Love's article about this. It's called Femara: A Closer Look at the New JCO Study, from
    March 21, 2008. I can't seem to post a link, but here's the URL: http://www.dslrf.org/breastcancer/content.asp?CATID=0&L2=3&L3=5&L4=0&PID=&sid=130&cid=1393. It explains the numbers and questions whether the slight improvement in risk of recurrence is worth the debilitating side effects so many women experience on aromatase inhibitors. For me, I've decided it is most definitely NOT worth it. I stopped Femara over 3 months ago but have yet to see any improvement in my condition (I think the hot flashes aren't as bad, but the bone and joint problems are as bad as ever). Our bodies don't like being totally deprived of estrogen, which is what Femara and the other AIs do to us. It's time more research was done on the effects of these drugs. And the doctors who prescribe them must be made aware that when they recommend that a woman take these drugs, they need to fully explain the risks worth the benefits and the minimal increase in improvement that the drugs give. I doubt many women would opt to be crippled and in pain so they can have a 2.9% improvement in their risk of a recurrence. I certainly would never have taken this drug had I known what it would do to me and the minimal improvement it would give me.

Meanwhile, Chickadee, I hope your side effects improve. Someday, perhaps they'll have better drugs in their arsenal to offer us.
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    krw14 said:

Femara Side Effects
    I was put on Femara after completing five years of tamoxifen for a stage 1 tumor that was estrogen receptive. I had joint pain and hot flashes on tamoxifen, but it wasn't until I was on Femara that I truly understood the meaning of the word "agony." I have the same complaints I hear from so many women on this dreadful drug: crippling knee pain, inability to stand after sitting for any length of time, all-over pain, feeling like I'm 90 years old (I'm 59), and most recently, four trigger fingers and stiffness and pain in my hands and fingers. Chickadee, you ask if the benefits of the anti-hormone meds outweigh the misery. I wish our oncologists understood that they absolutely do not. Most of us aren't aware that we're suffering through all this disability for an average 2.9% improvement in our risk of not having a recurrence. You read that right: 2.9%--a less than 3% improvement. And for those of us who already did years on tamoxifen, the improvement is even less than this. If you want the full low-down, read Dr. Susan Love's article about this. It's called Femara: A Closer Look at the New JCO Study, from
    March 21, 2008. I can't seem to post a link, but here's the URL: http://www.dslrf.org/breastcancer/content.asp?CATID=0&L2=3&L3=5&L4=0&PID=&sid=130&cid=1393. It explains the numbers and questions whether the slight improvement in risk of recurrence is worth the debilitating side effects so many women experience on aromatase inhibitors. For me, I've decided it is most definitely NOT worth it. I stopped Femara over 3 months ago but have yet to see any improvement in my condition (I think the hot flashes aren't as bad, but the bone and joint problems are as bad as ever). Our bodies don't like being totally deprived of estrogen, which is what Femara and the other AIs do to us. It's time more research was done on the effects of these drugs. And the doctors who prescribe them must be made aware that when they recommend that a woman take these drugs, they need to fully explain the risks worth the benefits and the minimal increase in improvement that the drugs give. I doubt many women would opt to be crippled and in pain so they can have a 2.9% improvement in their risk of a recurrence. I certainly would never have taken this drug had I known what it would do to me and the minimal improvement it would give me.

Meanwhile, Chickadee, I hope your side effects improve. Someday, perhaps they'll have better drugs in their arsenal to offer us.

not the same problems some seem to have
    I've been on Femara since the end of March and while my hot flashes went nuclear that's about the only problem I've had. A friends of mine was in the study for Femara when it was first being readied for use and she had no problems. That being said, I know each person is unique. As to the nuclear hot flashes - sone one posted on another thread about evening primrose oil so I asked my MO about trying it and he gave me a green light with the provision that I call in and let them know if it was working. It has! I still get hot flalshes, but not as many, not as long-lasting, and not as intense. I can deal with that. When my MO first talked to me about Femara he said it provided a 20% increase in non-recurrence. I was glad to give it a try because I knew so many people who had trouble with tamoxifan. I'm sticking with it.
  • Chickadee1955
    Options
    skipper54 said:

not the same problems some seem to have
    I've been on Femara since the end of March and while my hot flashes went nuclear that's about the only problem I've had. A friends of mine was in the study for Femara when it was first being readied for use and she had no problems. That being said, I know each person is unique. As to the nuclear hot flashes - sone one posted on another thread about evening primrose oil so I asked my MO about trying it and he gave me a green light with the provision that I call in and let them know if it was working. It has! I still get hot flalshes, but not as many, not as long-lasting, and not as intense. I can deal with that. When my MO first talked to me about Femara he said it provided a 20% increase in non-recurrence. I was glad to give it a try because I knew so many people who had trouble with tamoxifan. I'm sticking with it.

Update
    I opted to pass on the Tamoxifen. I had to get injections for the trigger thumb and finger, but that took care of that.
    ALL the other side effects of the Femara are gone. The creaky knees were a problem for me before Femara and went back to the pre-Femara level. Even my sleep is improved!
    I can only speak for me, but the benefit of the AIs in my case is not worth the side effects.

I saw my oncologist yesterday for my regular check up and let her know I had been 3 months without taking anything and feel a world better. She didn't press me to attempt the Tamoxifen or anything else and reiterated that I have a very low risk of recurrence. She's very pleased with my 'numbers'. I'm glad the drugs work for many of you, and I do realize not everyone has the luxury of an option one way or the other, but for me I have decided to discontinue everything but my supplements. In a strange way it feels empowering to make my own choice in the matter, too.

Chickadee
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I have all of the above. I
    I have all of the above. I started out on Arimidex, in Jan, but the pain in my feet got so bad I could hardly walk. So My Dr, changed me to Famara. Well the pain in my feet went away!! But the pain in my right wrist ( thumb join were it goes on to your wrist )got very very bad I can hardly use my hand at times. and the pain in my left knee got so sever I don't trust it to hold me up. It is almost unbearable to walk and bend it at all. Forget getting on the floor cant get up. And squatting down can't do that at all. have trouble sleeping at night. I'm tired most of the time. I called my Dr, and she said to stop the Famara for 3 weeks then she wants to see me. After reading your post I think I would rather change to some thing else then go back on it. I hope there is some thing I can take. I know I need it. But 5 years with this much pain?? Sorry for complaining I know there are so many others worse off then me. Thanks for listening Kay
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Options

I have all of the above. I
    I have all of the above. I started out on Arimidex, in Jan, but the pain in my feet got so bad I could hardly walk. So My Dr, changed me to Famara. Well the pain in my feet went away!! But the pain in my right wrist ( thumb join were it goes on to your wrist )got very very bad I can hardly use my hand at times. and the pain in my left knee got so sever I don't trust it to hold me up. It is almost unbearable to walk and bend it at all. Forget getting on the floor cant get up. And squatting down can't do that at all. have trouble sleeping at night. I'm tired most of the time. I called my Dr, and she said to stop the Famara for 3 weeks then she wants to see me. After reading your post I think I would rather change to some thing else then go back on it. I hope there is some thing I can take. I know I need it. But 5 years with this much pain?? Sorry for complaining I know there are so many others worse off then me. Thanks for listening Kay

I have all the same symptoms!!!!!
    I've been on femara for about 4 months now and i have all the same symptoms and my oncologist put me on neurotin 300mg and that didn't help so i stopped taking it and i feel better with the joints now it seems as the neurotin made it worst,i still have trouble walking when i first get up my feet hurt but once i get going I'm good. MOLLYZ
  • rs4592
    rs4592 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    krw14 said:

Femara Side Effects

femara side effects
    Thanks! I was beginning to think I was crazy. I also did 5 years of Tamoxifen and it was nothing compared to the last 60 days on Letrozole. I went from cycling 10-20 miles 2-3 times a week,working out or walking on the off days to feeling like I also am 90 years old. It is all I can do to work all day. It's like taxol without the swelling. Forget sleeping - even the ambien doesn't work anymore. I told my onc I would try it for 3 months-I have 3 weeks before I see her again so she can try to convince me to continue. I agree with you the new studies didn't mention the decrease in quality of life or the constant pain.
    I hope your side efects start to go away.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    mollyz said:

I have all the same symptoms!!!!!
    I've been on femara for about 4 months now and i have all the same symptoms and my oncologist put me on neurotin 300mg and that didn't help so i stopped taking it and i feel better with the joints now it seems as the neurotin made it worst,i still have trouble walking when i first get up my feet hurt but once i get going I'm good. MOLLYZ

Happy or not so happy I read
    Happy or not so happy I read this. I tried arimidex and had to stop it, because it put me in a tunnel of depression. I've been on Femara regularly in the past few months. I have all the symptoms described. I now have a middle trigger finger, very achy joints in the hands, fingers and wrists. Sleep----- well thats another story,. It is 1:30 am and I'm obviously wide awake but physically tired. I'm getting hot flashes and I blamed all of this on getting older, after all I'll be 29 oops 69 next January. so far i can tolerate the pain, but these sleepless nites are really getting to me. My onc gave me ambien and I have taken it twice for sleep. I'm not an avid pill taker and really dont think it helped. Need to give this post a lot more thought. Thanks all of you for your input.
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    natly15 said:

Happy or not so happy I read
    Happy or not so happy I read this. I tried arimidex and had to stop it, because it put me in a tunnel of depression. I've been on Femara regularly in the past few months. I have all the symptoms described. I now have a middle trigger finger, very achy joints in the hands, fingers and wrists. Sleep----- well thats another story,. It is 1:30 am and I'm obviously wide awake but physically tired. I'm getting hot flashes and I blamed all of this on getting older, after all I'll be 29 oops 69 next January. so far i can tolerate the pain, but these sleepless nites are really getting to me. My onc gave me ambien and I have taken it twice for sleep. I'm not an avid pill taker and really dont think it helped. Need to give this post a lot more thought. Thanks all of you for your input.

Had them all and then some
    I tried femera for 7 months and was one miserable cookie. Then I tried anastrozole and had breathing problems which my MO said weren't from the meds but they even put a little sticker on the pill container saying that it may cause breathing difficulties. I have asthma so I know that's a problem. Anyway, stopped the anastrozole after about 2 mos and gave myself about a 3 month break, determined to stay off. I went back on when my MO said it was at least as important as chemo and in a few years he'd like to be able to "consider me cured" well I know that's as close to that particular "c" word as I'll ever get, so I went back on the anastrozole and I'm having almost no side effects (since June this year) so hopefully it'll stay that way.

It is a totally personal decision one has to make. I never want to sound like I'm trying to influence you one way or the other. It truly is your decision alone to make. Just hope my experience may point out something to consider.

marge

ps I realize it's not the worst side effect, but doesn't trigger finger s**k?
  • KathyLQ
    KathyLQ Member Posts: 100
    Options
    krw14 said:

Femara Side Effects

I'm thinking of stopping Femara
    krw14, thank you so much for pointing out this study (a closer look). I've been on Femara for 8 months, getting side effects (lower back pain, knee pain, aches) Is it worth it? I'm wondering. This article throws doubts on it for sure.

Something I can add. For the joint aches, try MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) Google it, I don't think there is any side effects to MSM, and it is a natural pain reliever. I used it previously on plantar fasciitis, it helped heal it. I'm taking MSM 3 times daily, it seems to work better than once a day. I believe taking acetaminophen and Tylenol in excess can hurt the body, and MSM will not. MSM is a natural anti-inflammatory agent.

People talk about taking Glucosamine and Chondroitine to help joints, but I've seen clinical studies which say they aren't effective.
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options

Had them all and then some
    I tried femera for 7 months and was one miserable cookie. Then I tried anastrozole and had breathing problems which my MO said weren't from the meds but they even put a little sticker on the pill container saying that it may cause breathing difficulties. I have asthma so I know that's a problem. Anyway, stopped the anastrozole after about 2 mos and gave myself about a 3 month break, determined to stay off. I went back on when my MO said it was at least as important as chemo and in a few years he'd like to be able to "consider me cured" well I know that's as close to that particular "c" word as I'll ever get, so I went back on the anastrozole and I'm having almost no side effects (since June this year) so hopefully it'll stay that way.

It is a totally personal decision one has to make. I never want to sound like I'm trying to influence you one way or the other. It truly is your decision alone to make. Just hope my experience may point out something to consider.

marge

ps I realize it's not the worst side effect, but doesn't trigger finger s**k?

I've been on Femara for
    I've been on Femara for almost 10 months and for the first several months thought I was lucky because I wasn't having too many side effects. Anyway, it was something I could handle along with painful fibromyalgia. But for the last month my sleep was being affected, night sweats were getting worse and the pain finally became crippling. My hands, wrists, arms, neck/shoulders ache so bad all the time. My knees and ankles hurt when I try to walk/stand and its turning me into a wreck. Called my onc and she said to come off Femara for a couple of weeks and see if it helps. From what I'm reading here, it might be a couple of months before I notice any difference. I'm willing to try other meds but first I want to see if staying off all these will increase my quality of life. My onc will prob ably want to put me on something different but I think I'lll hold out to see what happens. I can hardly hold a cup of coffee in my right hand because of the pain and weakness. I want a better quality of life so I understand what a lot of you are saying. Hoping that a new med will be discovered that will be better if we have to continue to take meds for several years after bc.