Sunscreens rated by EWG...food for thought

Options
CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
I thought this site was very interesting re toxicity and ineffectiveness of many popular sunscreens. I am not sure how valid all of their information is, but I have switched to a less toxic sunscreen. I am using Devita for a moisturizer/sunscreen and I love its silky feel. I have ordered the Livestrong thinksport for the beach.

The rating system is a little confusing at first. Apparently a score of "1" is the most desirable and a score of "10" is the least desirable, but I never could find anything explaining their ratings.

What do you guys think? BTW, I found the site because it is mentioned in a Consumer Reports article.

Environmental Working Group Sunscreen Ratings

Comments

• Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Hope you hear something
    I've been wondering about sunscreen and posted something. It seems 50 is the one to use but I don't know how you can tan with a 50 sunscreen. I want to be safe though.

The next level under I think was 15.I did buy the 50. It is for babies.

We've only had some very nice sunny days around here.We were on a roll for a week then today is probably high 60's.Rainy to as usual.What a bummer!!!!!

Lynn Smith
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Hope you hear something
    I've been wondering about sunscreen and posted something. It seems 50 is the one to use but I don't know how you can tan with a 50 sunscreen. I want to be safe though.

The next level under I think was 15.I did buy the 50. It is for babies.

We've only had some very nice sunny days around here.We were on a roll for a week then today is probably high 60's.Rainy to as usual.What a bummer!!!!!

Lynn Smith

When I use one, I use a 15.
    When I use one, I use a 15. I still want to get a tan. Thanks for the link Cynthia.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Angie2U said:

When I use one, I use a 15.
    When I use one, I use a 15. I still want to get a tan. Thanks for the link Cynthia.

The site discusses SPF at
    The site discusses SPF at length. Here is a sample:

"High-SPF products contain greater amounts of sun-blocking chemicals than low-SPF sunscreens. These ingredients may pose health risks when they penetrate through the skin, where they have been linked to tissue damage and potential hormone disruption. If studies supported a reduction in skin damage and skin cancer risk from high-SPF products, the additional exposures might be justified. But they don’t, so choosing sunscreens with lower amounts of active ingredients – SPF 30 instead of SPF 70, for example – is prudent."
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options

The site discusses SPF at
    The site discusses SPF at length. Here is a sample:

"High-SPF products contain greater amounts of sun-blocking chemicals than low-SPF sunscreens. These ingredients may pose health risks when they penetrate through the skin, where they have been linked to tissue damage and potential hormone disruption. If studies supported a reduction in skin damage and skin cancer risk from high-SPF products, the additional exposures might be justified. But they don’t, so choosing sunscreens with lower amounts of active ingredients – SPF 30 instead of SPF 70, for example – is prudent."

For me, sunscreen is like eating my fruits and vegetables
    CC, I have found so many of the articles you point us to here so very helpful, so I hope you know I mean no disrespect at all....I'll just share my own personal opinion about sunscreen, which for me is like eating my fruits and vegetables.

I know some people who will allow ONLY organic fruits and vegetables to pass their lips (big surprise, I know, living in Los Angeles). In practice, however, this usually means they don't eat nearly the fruits and veggies they should, because they're more concerned with how and where they were grown than with actually eating them.

For me and my little hectic life, sunscreen is the same thing. I'm very fair skinned, I take walks every day, I NEED to wear sunscreen. And I just buy mainstream brands at the drugstore, with an SPF of at least 30. For me, if I tried to commit to using only the special sunscreens considered "safe," I would end up using that as an excuse not to wear sunscreen at all (and probably get skin cancer) or not to exercise (and have more weight-related health problems than I already do).

Again, just my own personal philosophy for me, as I sit here wearing toxic sunscreen eating pesticide-ridden baby carrots with my lunch....:-) :-) :-)

Traci
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

For me, sunscreen is like eating my fruits and vegetables
    CC, I have found so many of the articles you point us to here so very helpful, so I hope you know I mean no disrespect at all....I'll just share my own personal opinion about sunscreen, which for me is like eating my fruits and vegetables.

I know some people who will allow ONLY organic fruits and vegetables to pass their lips (big surprise, I know, living in Los Angeles). In practice, however, this usually means they don't eat nearly the fruits and veggies they should, because they're more concerned with how and where they were grown than with actually eating them.

For me and my little hectic life, sunscreen is the same thing. I'm very fair skinned, I take walks every day, I NEED to wear sunscreen. And I just buy mainstream brands at the drugstore, with an SPF of at least 30. For me, if I tried to commit to using only the special sunscreens considered "safe," I would end up using that as an excuse not to wear sunscreen at all (and probably get skin cancer) or not to exercise (and have more weight-related health problems than I already do).

Again, just my own personal philosophy for me, as I sit here wearing toxic sunscreen eating pesticide-ridden baby carrots with my lunch....:-) :-) :-)

Traci

15 and 30
    15 and 30 sure sounds better than 50.I am going shopping for sunsceen.I don't start out in the beginning but maybe a hour.I don;'t want to look like a lobster and over do it. The other day I was at the store and a young lady looked like a lobster.She was redder than anyone I had ever seem.She had been to a lake and was in the sun for 5 hours.She said her grandma was a skin cancer survivor and she said "I should know better". Her grandma told her she would be sorry.

Lynn Smith