Finished with treatment but feeling like 1/2 the person I used to be

Options
NJMom10
NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
Finally finished with all treatments except Tamoxifen. 8 rounds of chemo, lumpectomy to remove a still 3 cm tumor, clean margins, but 2 lymph nodes still positive and 33 rads.

I feel drained. Tired, pelvic pain, some nausea off and on, low energy, back ache, neck pain... I'm trying to get to the gym but I'm so tired it's hard to get myself moving even if I can convince myself to get there. 2 years ago I was 30 lbs lighter, doing 60 minutes 6 days a week and a weight training schedule 3 days a week. Will I ever get back there again? Sorry just moping a little. I should be grateful I'm still alive and I am! But I want to feel normal again.

Comments

• Punkindo
    Punkindo Member Posts: 113
    Options
    I think so :)
    I know I feel better and better every day!! Just do what you can, but don't over do it. Your body has been thru a lot. My dr said that it takes at least a year to get back to normal..... Chocolate helps....
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    Options
    Maybe not exactly there but close. Your body has been through a lot. You've been through a lot, more than most ever do in their entire lifetime. Don't be so hard on yourself! Every day presents a new challenge just take it one small step at a time. Don't be afraid to ask for pain medication if you're having pain. You'll get there but it will take time.
  • renee616
    renee616 Member Posts: 181
    Options
    You will be "All that you can be" When your bodies ready!
    I'm sorry your feeling drained, but you've gotta have lots of time to heel! We always push ourselves too hard & expect too much from ourselves too soon! You've been giving this battle all you have & now you need to pamper yourself, get lots of rest & slowly get back to your pre self! Not the same person you were, but a Stronger, even better version! Give it some time! Your still healing!
    Hugs, Renee
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    renee616 said:

You will be "All that you can be" When your bodies ready!
    I'm sorry your feeling drained, but you've gotta have lots of time to heel! We always push ourselves too hard & expect too much from ourselves too soon! You've been giving this battle all you have & now you need to pamper yourself, get lots of rest & slowly get back to your pre self! Not the same person you were, but a Stronger, even better version! Give it some time! Your still healing!
    Hugs, Renee

Miss Renee, hit the nail on the head!!! You
    are not, nor will you ever be the person you once were. You will be BETTER, you will have the innate ability to know when another Sister is in need of a hug, smile or pat on the back. You will take the time to stop and smile the coffee, or roses ..

Our world and life has been turned upside down by those words "You have Breast Cancer", we endure many weeks and months of chemo and/or radiation .. surgeries and multiple hours spent in waiting rooms -- with other cancer patients. We know that cancer can hit at any age, and there are no boundaries with regards of race.

Pat yourself on the back for a job well done! You have walked a path that many others will never walk (Thank, God), and come out victorious!

Now it's time to heal, and rest.

Vicki Sam
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Miss Renee, hit the nail on the head!!! You
    are not, nor will you ever be the person you once were. You will be BETTER, you will have the innate ability to know when another Sister is in need of a hug, smile or pat on the back. You will take the time to stop and smile the coffee, or roses ..

Our world and life has been turned upside down by those words "You have Breast Cancer", we endure many weeks and months of chemo and/or radiation .. surgeries and multiple hours spent in waiting rooms -- with other cancer patients. We know that cancer can hit at any age, and there are no boundaries with regards of race.

Pat yourself on the back for a job well done! You have walked a path that many others will never walk (Thank, God), and come out victorious!

Now it's time to heal, and rest.

Vicki Sam

Both Renee and VickiSam are
    Both Renee and VickiSam are on target. Rest and heal.
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    I agree
    It will take a little time, but you will get there. We all mope - it's so natural.

Big hugs,

Sue
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

I agree
    It will take a little time, but you will get there. We all mope - it's so natural.

Big hugs,

Sue

So glad I found this pink warrior group...
    So I posted that thought on the spur of the moment today because I just felt so awful and you all came right out there and cheered me up. I am so grateful to you all and to this board.

I went to breakfast with my 'non-cancer' friends today to 'celebrate' being finished with treatment. And although I enjoyed it, it just isn't the same as it is here. I can't tell them how nice it was to be able to wear an underwire bra again. What an accomplishment that was for me. Or that I was so thrilled that my gynecologist said my bone density scan tests came out great. Or that I'm worried because my platelet level is so low I'm close to having to have a transfusion. While they care about me, they don't get it. And it's pretty pointless to explain it. Thanks for your help. I will try to take it a little easier on myself.

Barb
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    You'll find your "new" normal
    With all your body has gone through, it will never be the same, how can it be? However, you will find your new normal. Little by little strength will return, maybe not to the full capacity (or maybe it will), every person's body is different.

I think all of us just want to feel like we did before BC and resume normalcy again. But for me, the reality is, it didn't. If that happens to you, just remember, you're strong in mind and spirit. Not that you have to like it, but the faster you embrace the "new" you and begin to re-learn your body and be accepting of what you CAN do, the better you'll feel and the more appreciative you'll be of your new you.

You'll get there!

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Eventually you will feel
    Eventually you will feel like your old self but it will take time. Maybe 6 months or so but you will be back. I am 7 months post chemo and I gradually started feeling better and better each month. With you it may be sooner as everyone is so different and also I am 64, maybe you are younger If so you will feel better sooner. You have been through alot, you need to rest and heal.
    Hugs
    Annette
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    sea60 said:

You'll find your "new" normal
    With all your body has gone through, it will never be the same, how can it be? However, you will find your new normal. Little by little strength will return, maybe not to the full capacity (or maybe it will), every person's body is different.

I think all of us just want to feel like we did before BC and resume normalcy again. But for me, the reality is, it didn't. If that happens to you, just remember, you're strong in mind and spirit. Not that you have to like it, but the faster you embrace the "new" you and begin to re-learn your body and be accepting of what you CAN do, the better you'll feel and the more appreciative you'll be of your new you.

You'll get there!

Hugs,

Sylvia

Physically...
    My physicians all told me to expect it to take as long to feel physically well again, as it did to finish all treatment...we all want what was "before"....not possible....we all come through this, changed people....it takes time....don't push yourself to hard....be kind to yourself and vent here anytime...we get it!

Hugs, Nancy