Here's a new one (for me, at least): black raspberry syrup

Options
coloCan
coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
at:http://ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?storyid=27034

"Cutting Off Cancer That Can't Be Cut Out"........................

".............This experimental syrup made from black raspberry powder suppressed blood vessel growth in up to 60% of patients........"

Who knows?

Comments

• janie1
    janie1 Member Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Once
    Very interesting. Once again, using something from berries. Wonder what they mix the raspberry powder with....hmm. Wish i knew, I'd probably give it a try. Colocan, i've ask this before, but was it you recently who included a link about a new drug coming out that targets a tumor in 3 different ways. I sort of skimmed the thread, but failed to save it. This is really bugging me :( Thanks for all your info that you provide.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Tasty too!
    Similar in it's ability to suppress blood flow to tumors like Avastin does. Much cheaper and better tasting too I imagine.
  • SisterSledge
    SisterSledge Member Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    live link
    http://ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?storyid=27034
    Cutting Off Cancer That Can't Be Cut Out

I'd love to add Black Raspberry Powder to my juicing, but it seems very expensive :(
  • coloCan
    Options
    janie1 said:

Very interesting. Once
    Very interesting. Once again, using something from berries. Wonder what they mix the raspberry powder with....hmm. Wish i knew, I'd probably give it a try. Colocan, i've ask this before, but was it you recently who included a link about a new drug coming out that targets a tumor in 3 different ways. I sort of skimmed the thread, but failed to save it. This is really bugging me :( Thanks for all your info that you provide.

In response to your question ,Janie:go back to that posting as I
    had listed some other articles that may interest you. Don't think what you had asked about came from me.....steve
  • Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Dosage
    is not really mentioned in this article, but gets a passing mention in this one: Black Raspberries

"Stoner and his colleagues have conducted clinical trials using whole berry powder, which has yielded some promising results, but required patients to take up to 60 grams of powder a day."

Cost on Amazon.com equals out to about $0.18 per gram, so 60 grams a day day works out to about $11 a day (142 grams sells for $25.95, so about a jar every two days).
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Buckwirth said:

Dosage
    is not really mentioned in this article, but gets a passing mention in this one: Black Raspberries

"Stoner and his colleagues have conducted clinical trials using whole berry powder, which has yielded some promising results, but required patients to take up to 60 grams of powder a day."

Cost on Amazon.com equals out to about $0.18 per gram, so 60 grams a day day works out to about $11 a day (142 grams sells for $25.95, so about a jar every two days).

I saw something similar to
    I saw something similar to this with Noni Juice too....take both and give it a one two punch!!!
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    smokeyjoe said:

I saw something similar to
    I saw something similar to this with Noni Juice too....take both and give it a one two punch!!!

Try Mangostein Juice. It is
    Try Mangostein Juice. It is fairly inexpensive and tastes good too! Noni Juice is very nasty tasting. Blue Berry Juice and Black Berry Juce are also very reasonable and very good antioxidents.

Best Always, mike
  • Buckwirth
    Options
    Buckwirth said:

Dosage

Neuroendocrine cancer
    Did a little more reading. Seems that the black raspberry powder treatment is (so far) pretty much exclusive to this cancer which strikes about 3,000 people a year, the most famous of which is probably Steve Jobs. Some of the mouse tests were with esophageal cancer, but I found no reports dealing with CRC.
  • coloCan
    Options
    Buckwirth said:

Neuroendocrine cancer
    Did a little more reading. Seems that the black raspberry powder treatment is (so far) pretty much exclusive to this cancer which strikes about 3,000 people a year, the most famous of which is probably Steve Jobs. Some of the mouse tests were with esophageal cancer, but I found no reports dealing with CRC.

The article itself stated:"She's fighting a rare neuro-endocrine
    cancer that hasn't responded to traditional therapy".

Though article never mentions CRC, the middle of concluding paragraph states:"Its still investigational and is not considered to be appropriate for all types of cancer or all cancer patients" which does not specifically include nor exclude CRC, or any other cancer,so.........I guess we have to await further news......

Just something to drink, I mean think ,about....

Oh yeah,Blake: before I forget: what creature was it that the researchers used in Stoners' lab? A RAT........
  • Buckwirth
    Options
    coloCan said:

The article itself stated:"She's fighting a rare neuro-endocrine
    cancer that hasn't responded to traditional therapy".

Though article never mentions CRC, the middle of concluding paragraph states:"Its still investigational and is not considered to be appropriate for all types of cancer or all cancer patients" which does not specifically include nor exclude CRC, or any other cancer,so.........I guess we have to await further news......

Just something to drink, I mean think ,about....

Oh yeah,Blake: before I forget: what creature was it that the researchers used in Stoners' lab? A RAT........

Yep
    That's what sent me searching. LSU seems to be the lead in researching this cancer and this treatment (Jobs went to Basel, Switzerland for an undisclosed treatment).

And rats off to you for finding this one!
  • smokeyjoe
    smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Buckwirth said:

Yep
    That's what sent me searching. LSU seems to be the lead in researching this cancer and this treatment (Jobs went to Basel, Switzerland for an undisclosed treatment).

And rats off to you for finding this one!

Wow Mike, never heard of
    Wow Mike, never heard of this looked at it on line.....seems to have a lot of rave reviews...will be looking for some to try, cannot hurt :) Thanks. Leena
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    smokeyjoe said:

Wow Mike, never heard of
    Wow Mike, never heard of this looked at it on line.....seems to have a lot of rave reviews...will be looking for some to try, cannot hurt :) Thanks. Leena

black raspberries
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39971798/ns/health-cancer/t/black-raspberries-prevent-colorectal-cancer-mice/

Compounds found in black raspberries are effective in preventing colorectal cancer tumors in mice, according to a new study.

The fruits contain compounds called anthocyanins, which give them their color, along with a host of other cancer-fighting vitamins, minerals and acids, said study researcher Gary Stoner, a professor at the College of Medicine at the Ohio State University.

Yuck! Most Kids Don't Shower Before Using Public Pools
    Hacked iTunes Store Accounts: Apple's Problem That Won't Go Away
    Intruders, Beware: Ancient City's Walls Protected Against Threats
    Savvy Decisions: Many Gays Keep One Foot in the Closet

"Due to the high levels of these compounds, the berries have high antioxidant activity," Stoner told MyHealthNewsDaily. He added that it makes them effective in destroying toxic free radicals in the body, which can damage DNA in cells.

If the same result is found in humans, the fruit could be used to help prevent colorectal cancer. Previous studies have found black raspberries – which are different from blackberries – to play a role in preventing esophageal, oral and skin cancers, he said.

Don't miss these Health stories
    Image: Woman shaving her legs
    Image Source via Getty Images stock
    Master barber's trick: Wait 3 minutes to shave

Wait at least 3 minutes after getting in the shower before whipping out the razor. Click for more information and other must-try beauty and skin care tips.
    Moms: Get real! Take our secret survey
    Waffling over E. coli points to 'incompetence'
    Aging with AIDS: Living longer, living with loss
    Dripping in sweat? Maybe it's hyperhidrosis

Ripe results

Researchers genetically engineered two types of mice to test the benefits of black raspberries. One type was engineered to develop intestinal tumors, and the other type was engineered to have colitis, an inflammation of the large intestine that can lead to colorectal cancer.

For 12 weeks, all mice were fed a "high-risk" diet — which was high in fat and low in calcium and vitamin D — and some were also given a supplement, so 10 percent of their calories came from freeze-dried black raspberry powder.
    Advertise | AdChoices

Both types of mice that ate the black raspberry powder had fewer tumors than the mice not given the supplements.

Among mice engineered to have intestinal tumors, the growth of new tumors decreased by 45 percent, and the total number of tumors in the mice decreased by 60 percent, the study said. The black raspberries stopped tumors from developing by suppressing a protein that binds to the gene that the scientists genetically modified in the mice, the researchers said.

Most popular
    Casey Anthony judge declares surprise recess
    Top court sides with Wal-Mart in bias case
    'Green Mile' actor, 51, weds country singer, 16
    Casey Anthony trial comes to abrupt halt
    Bridge jumper paralyzed after landing on boat
    Week in Sports Pictures

In the mice engineered to have the intestinal inflammation, new tumors and number of tumors were reduced by 50 percent, because the black raspberries worked to reduce inflammation, according to the study.

To get the equivalent of the supplements the researchers gave the mice, a human would have to eat four cups of fresh berries a day, said study researcher Dr. Wancai Yang, an assistant professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

That's a lot for humans, but the animals used in the study were engineered to be susceptible to cancer. So for humans, "it is not necessary to eat so much fresh berries to have similar benefit of cancer prevention," he said.

Findings for fruit

Don't miss these Health stories
    Image: Woman shaving her legs
    Image Source via Getty Images stock
    Master barber's trick: Wait 3 minutes to shave

Wait at least 3 minutes after getting in the shower before whipping out the razor. Click for more information and other must-try beauty and skin care tips.
    Moms: Get real! Take our secret survey
    Waffling over E. coli points to 'incompetence'
    Aging with AIDS: Living longer, living with loss
    Dripping in sweat? Maybe it's hyperhidrosis

Other berries, such as blueberries and strawberries, are also known to have cancer-preventing effects, but their effects are not as great as those of black raspberries, Yang said.

A 2001 study by Stoner in the journal Carcinogenesis found freeze-dried berries stopped the changes that take place cells and lead to cancer. The study used animal cells grown in lab dishes.

And two 2009 studies — one conducted in cells in lab dishes and one conducted in mice — found that compounds in black raspberries can prevent and stop proliferation of esophageal tumor cells. The studies were published in the journals Nutrition and Cancer and Cancer Prevention Research.

Because the black raspberries were shown to lower inflammation, it's possible that they can also protect against other diseases, such as heart diseases, the researchers said.

The new study was published in the November issue of the journal Cancer Prevention Research. The work was funded by UIC and the National Cancer Institute.