Options
2»

Comments

• Jan Trinks
    Jan Trinks Member Posts: 477
    Options
    Such Heartbreaking News
    Hi:

Will be keeping Chefdaddy and son in my prayers. That is so heartbreaking for his son and not news he needed to hear, but unfortunately, we all know cancer is no respector of persons, age and otherwise. Prayers for him and his family start now!

Jan (Basketcase)
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Talked to Mike

I talk with Mike last night and the outcome is not good for his Son. This boy has been fighting Leukemia for many years and just a few months ago was showing very positive results to have it come back on him so fast. I could not talk to long to Mike as there is just too much going on right now in there life.

I ask everyone to please keep all three of them in your prayers as they will need strength to help them through the darkest hour in there lives.

My Prayers are for you and your children Mike.
    Hondo
  • bpell0402
    bpell0402 Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Hondo said:

Talked to Mike

I talk with Mike last night and the outcome is not good for his Son. This boy has been fighting Leukemia for many years and just a few months ago was showing very positive results to have it come back on him so fast. I could not talk to long to Mike as there is just too much going on right now in there life.

I ask everyone to please keep all three of them in your prayers as they will need strength to help them through the darkest hour in there lives.

My Prayers are for you and your children Mike.
    Hondo

Prayers
    i know there are no words to ease your pain. but my prayers and thoughts are with you.
  • staceya
    staceya Member Posts: 720
    Options
    bpell0402 said:

Prayers
    i know there are no words to ease your pain. but my prayers and thoughts are with you.

I am keeping your family in
    I am keeping your family in my heart and prayers and wish we could help lessen your pain.
    Stacey
  • Chefdaddy
    Chefdaddy Member Posts: 170
    Options
    staceya said:

I am keeping your family in
    I am keeping your family in my heart and prayers and wish we could help lessen your pain.
    Stacey

Hard Day
    My dear and loving friends,
    Today was a very scary and long day. I took my son up to the children's hospital for another transfusion and he started passing out on the way there. He was having severe head, back and sternum pain and then he couldn't keep his eyes open. After arriving the nurses and doctor couldn't keep him focused and his eyes were going everywhere. They finally concluded that he is now allergic to the Oxycontin that he has been taking for the last 4 1/2 years. He almost went into a comma. They have switched him over to Dilaudid and it seems to be helping control the pain more. I was able to bring him back home this afternoon. This Monday he will finally learn from his oncologist how grim his future is. It's going too be a very long weekend.

Thank you all for your kind loving words and prayers.

Your friend
    Mike
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Hard Day
    Today was a very scary and long day. I took my son up to the children's hospital for another transfusion and he started passing out on the way there. He was having severe head, back and sternum pain and then he couldn't keep his eyes open. After arriving the nurses and doctor couldn't keep him focused and his eyes were going everywhere. They finally concluded that he is now allergic to the Oxycontin that he has been taking for the last 4 1/2 years. He almost went into a comma. They have switched him over to Dilaudid and it seems to be helping control the pain more. I was able to bring him back home this afternoon. This Monday he will finally learn from his oncologist how grim his future is. It's going too be a very long weekend.

Your friend
    Mike

Mike

We are all there with you my friend and keeping your family in our Prayers.

God bless
    Hondo
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Hard Day

Your friend
    Mike

Strength
    As much pain and tragedy as your body has taken over the last several months, I have no idea how you can still be so strong. It's a real testiment of the inner strength you possess..

You have given and sacrificed so much of yourself for your children...and they know that and will always have that.

Thoughts, Prayers and Memories,
    John
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Strength
    As much pain and tragedy as your body has taken over the last several months, I have no idea how you can still be so strong. It's a real testiment of the inner strength you possess..

You have given and sacrificed so much of yourself for your children...and they know that and will always have that.

Thoughts, Prayers and Memories,
    John

Mike
    I am so sorry to read this update. Still praying for you and your family.

Love,

Dawn
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Hard Day

Your friend
    Mike

Strength
    I will be praying for strength for you, your son and your daughter. I cry a little each time I think of what you and your children have been through.

Sending love and prayers to all of you,
    Glenna
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    Glenna M said:

Strength
    I will be praying for strength for you, your son and your daughter. I cry a little each time I think of what you and your children have been through.

Sending love and prayers to all of you,
    Glenna

Glenna Glenna Glenna
    I was OK til you said that. But glad you did.
  • Daddisgrl
    Daddisgrl Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Hard Day

Your friend
    Mike

Mike; I'm reading through
    Mike; I'm reading through tears.. I will reply when I'm done fully reading but I want to say.. I'm not sure if you've seen some of my posts about Oxycontin.. they changed the formulation back in October or November to make it turn into a gel if people try to crush it to sniff it. Whatever they did to it; it's not the same pain reliever because I've already had 2 increases since then & am going to be looking at a medication change next. There is a new medication that's a derivative of Dilaudid; supposed to be longer acting. It was recently released. I don't know if it's an option for your son. I've also mentioned Actiq pops which were great for my hubs cancer pain. I don't know if this would help your son- my dad also had Leukemia; back in 2006 brand Oxycontin took care of the pain. My hub liked that it went to the pain but did not make him stoned like a narcotic pill would. It may be worth it to ask so that your son doesn't have to be knocked out from pain meds.

I imagine that the formulation change of Oxy now has something your son is allergic to. It pisses me off that people have to suffer because of drug addicts.

~HUGS
  • Daddisgrl
    Daddisgrl Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Son update
    Hi my friends.

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers.
    I took my son in to the Children's hospital ER today because he was in a great deal of pain and very dizzy. After running more tests they told me he is terminal. He only has a few days or possibly weeks left. Due to his compromised liver they cannot give him the dosage of chemo necessary to kill the leukemia as it would immediately cause his liver to fail.
    He has an incredible positive attitude and wanted to go have sushi with me and his sister. I've been through a lot but nothing like this. Please continue your prayers.

Love you all
    Mike

~*^*~
    Mike; I'm so sorry that your son has had to know what Leukemia & treatments are like. When my hub was diagnosed with oral cancer; he was not going to fight because of watching my dad fight AML Leukemia. The treatment is barbaric to say the least. My dad did a clinical trial that killed his organs but not the cancer. I can not imagine a child having to go through treatment like that.

My back was fused with rods after losing my dad; one of my biggest complains is the pain I feel from the hardware. I can't imagine a kid knowing what that pain is like; it's excruciating. Hopefully the medications help his pain.

I'm sorry that you're having complications due to your treatment. That was a fear of mine with my hub; that the machine was not calibrated correctly. I was questioning where my hub was being treated (one of the top 3 in Philly) when we saw a news report about radiation machines not being calibrated correctly & giving off too little or too much radiation.

Your family will be in my thought.. I will ask my hubs gram to pray for him.

~Hugs
  • pattyanny
    pattyanny Member Posts: 544
    Options
    My heart breaks, and I have
    My heart breaks, and I have no words to comfort you. Prayers Mike.
  • Chefdaddy
    Chefdaddy Member Posts: 170
    Options
    pattyanny said:

My heart breaks, and I have
    My heart breaks, and I have no words to comfort you. Prayers Mike.

Sad update
    Hello my dear friends.

The 4th of July we spent in the ER, as I couldn't get my sons nose to stop bleeding.
    His platelets had dropped dangerously low and they had to give him a infusion of platelets which he's already receiving every three days now. Today, his GI doctor told me that due to his liver cirrhosis (caused by the first chemo treatments in 2007) they cannot give him a high enough level of chemo to kill the leukemia and that my options are narrowed to a possible lower dosage to give him a little longer but comes with the very high risk of causing his liver to completely fail. Liver failure would immediately be followed with uncontrollable internal and external bleeding along with going into a coma and then death. The second option is to do nothing, no chemo and let him die from the leukemia with uncontrollable bleeding, leukemia going to the brain and then go into a coma.

I'm mentally numb. We left the hospital and he wanted some sushi from his favorite place and after two bites he became sick to his stomach and we quickly left for home. He does not know how grim all this is yet and I don't know how to tell him. I don't want to break his fighting spirit. I just don't know what to say or do. Please continue your prayers.

Your friend,
    Mike
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Sad update
    Hello my dear friends.

The 4th of July we spent in the ER, as I couldn't get my sons nose to stop bleeding.
    His platelets had dropped dangerously low and they had to give him a infusion of platelets which he's already receiving every three days now. Today, his GI doctor told me that due to his liver cirrhosis (caused by the first chemo treatments in 2007) they cannot give him a high enough level of chemo to kill the leukemia and that my options are narrowed to a possible lower dosage to give him a little longer but comes with the very high risk of causing his liver to completely fail. Liver failure would immediately be followed with uncontrollable internal and external bleeding along with going into a coma and then death. The second option is to do nothing, no chemo and let him die from the leukemia with uncontrollable bleeding, leukemia going to the brain and then go into a coma.

I'm mentally numb. We left the hospital and he wanted some sushi from his favorite place and after two bites he became sick to his stomach and we quickly left for home. He does not know how grim all this is yet and I don't know how to tell him. I don't want to break his fighting spirit. I just don't know what to say or do. Please continue your prayers.

Your friend,
    Mike

Mike, I'm so sorry.
    My heart is breaking for you. You and your family are in my prayers many times a day.

Hugs,
    Dawn
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Sad update
    Hello my dear friends.

Your friend,
    Mike

Don't Know Whether to Whimper or Scream
    You guys are often in my thoughts, Mike.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Chefdaddy said:

Sad update
    Hello my dear friends.

Your friend,
    Mike

Mike Man
    So sorry for your situation.....

My opinion (easily given from a far I know).... I wouldn't tell him how bad it is... I know that might not seem like the right thing, but as you mentioned. I would be afraid to put him in a state of no hope...you as well as anyone know that as long as you are breathing there's hope....miracles do happen, stay positive and like Kent says, "Believe"....

Love ya brother,
    John