Options
2»

Comments

• stayingstrongfortoday
    stayingstrongfortoday Member Posts: 116
    Options
    renee616 said:

Ambien doesn't give me any
    Ambien doesn't give me any side effects, but I do sleep untill at least 9am since I'm not working. I have a head thing about pills, I've gotten over it alot since doing this little number! I'm more afaid of the side effects than the results sometimes...but I am going to try the Xanax, I will be up anyways! I did have adivan in my pre treatment cocktail and she said I'd get sleepy, but I honestly think I fought it. I almost fell asleep on my last treatment & I think it was because I was finally relaxed knowing it was almost over!
    Thanks! :)

I understand
    I am also having trouble sleeping. I have been on steroids for several weeks while having radiation and finally am weaning off. I have tried xanax, ambien, benadryl anything. Ambien only makes me sleep for about 2 hours and then I am back up. It's very frustrating. I get the point that I dread bedtime. I can not wait to be off the steroids and maybe that will help. I hope that Xanax works for you, it is good at "turning off the thoughts".
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    renee616 said:

Ambien doesn't give me any side effects, but I do sleep untill at least 9am since I'm not working. I have a head thing about pills, I've gotten over it alot since doing this little number! I'm more afaid of the side effects than the results sometimes...but I am going to try the Xanax, I will be up anyways! I did have adivan in my pre treatment cocktail and she said I'd get sleepy, but I honestly think I fought it. I almost fell asleep on my last treatment & I think it was because I was finally relaxed knowing it was almost over!

IV Benadryl = Nighty-night (for me)
    For the 4 A/C I had oral benadryl and never got the least bit drowsy/sleepy. Taxol was a whole different story though - as soon as they started the IV benadryl I went "Nighty-night" for all 12 of them and woke up about 1/2 hr before it was done so I always had a bed cubicle for it. (Also bed cubicles were glassed in so heat could be turned up to keep me warm.)

Susan
  • renee616
    renee616 Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Rague said:

IV Benadryl = Nighty-night (for me)
    For the 4 A/C I had oral benadryl and never got the least bit drowsy/sleepy. Taxol was a whole different story though - as soon as they started the IV benadryl I went "Nighty-night" for all 12 of them and woke up about 1/2 hr before it was done so I always had a bed cubicle for it. (Also bed cubicles were glassed in so heat could be turned up to keep me warm.)

Susan

Oh wow! All We had were
    Oh wow! All We had were recliners placed in an open room!
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    renee616 said:

Oh wow! All We had were
    Oh wow! All We had were recliners placed in an open room!

Sleep problems
    So sorry to hear that you are having sleep problems but so glad at the same time to read all your posts because I am having tha same kind of problems...lie down in bed and then lay there and don't sleep! It's so frustrating and especially so since I never had any sleep problems before chemotherapy. I take ativan or xanax but don't like to feel like I "have to " take them every night because I am also afraid of addiction. But sometimes I just need to get some relaxation to be able to drop off.

Yes, the people on this board get it and not everyone else can or does. I also have a great support system but I think that I do put sn expectation on myself to be like everything is cheerful and happy when sometimes it is just not! This is a great place to share, talk, vent.

Laura
  • renee616
    Options
    dbhadra said:

Sleep problems
    So sorry to hear that you are having sleep problems but so glad at the same time to read all your posts because I am having tha same kind of problems...lie down in bed and then lay there and don't sleep! It's so frustrating and especially so since I never had any sleep problems before chemotherapy. I take ativan or xanax but don't like to feel like I "have to " take them every night because I am also afraid of addiction. But sometimes I just need to get some relaxation to be able to drop off.

Yes, the people on this board get it and not everyone else can or does. I also have a great support system but I think that I do put sn expectation on myself to be like everything is cheerful and happy when sometimes it is just not! This is a great place to share, talk, vent.

Laura

Hi Laura
    I haven't slept for

Hi Laura
    I haven't slept for two nights because I don't have the ambien. Starting to get mad!
    The problem with being cheerful & nice for most of the time is that when you do decide to rant & rave, you feel bad! Like I said on another post, I was great all through chemo & then went to radiation for my markings & have been emotional & cranky every since & it wasn't even my first one until Monday. It will all be ok once I settle into yet another new routine.
    Yes this is a great board!

Renee
  • Rague
    Options
    renee616 said:

Hi Laura
    I haven't slept for

Hi Laura
    I haven't slept for two nights because I don't have the ambien. Starting to get mad!
    The problem with being cheerful & nice for most of the time is that when you do decide to rant & rave, you feel bad! Like I said on another post, I was great all through chemo & then went to radiation for my markings & have been emotional & cranky every since & it wasn't even my first one until Monday. It will all be ok once I settle into yet another new routine.
    Yes this is a great board!

Renee

A cup of warm milk
    Yeah - go ahead and laugh but a cup of warm milk can help with getting to sleep. I don't understand how it does (and it doesn't with all) but it does often. I worked 'graveyard' at nursing homes for several years as a CNA and this was a 'secret' that one of the older head nurses used with several of the residents who were hard to get to sleep at night. Invariably they would still be awake when our shift started even after having been given meds, with the pass down to give them more meds. Nancy would always try giving them a cup of warm milk and give it 20 - 45 minutes before she'd give any more 'knock out' meds - it worked almost all the time. Can't hurt to try unless you're allergic to milk.

Susan
  • renee616
    Options
    Rague said:

A cup of warm milk
    Yeah - go ahead and laugh but a cup of warm milk can help with getting to sleep. I don't understand how it does (and it doesn't with all) but it does often. I worked 'graveyard' at nursing homes for several years as a CNA and this was a 'secret' that one of the older head nurses used with several of the residents who were hard to get to sleep at night. Invariably they would still be awake when our shift started even after having been given meds, with the pass down to give them more meds. Nancy would always try giving them a cup of warm milk and give it 20 - 45 minutes before she'd give any more 'knock out' meds - it worked almost all the time. Can't hurt to try unless you're allergic to milk.

Susan

Thanks Susan, definitely
    Thanks Susan, definitely worth trying! Do you think a few cookies would hurt? :)
  • Rague
    Options
    renee616 said:

Thanks Susan, definitely
    Thanks Susan, definitely worth trying! Do you think a few cookies would hurt? :)

Definately
    a few cookies too!

(Plain white milk though - chocolate doesn't work all that good - don't know why but it doesn't)
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    renee616 said:

I have used Ambien when I
    I have used Ambien when I have trouble sleeping and it works well for me. Good luck!

Lex
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

I also had to took a relaxer or sleeping pill occasionally when going through treatment. I also put my little potable radio with the attached ear plugs into my ears and that would put me to sleep quickly and I still do that often. It helps.
    Annette

I occasionally take a
    I occasionally take a sleeping pill and it really helps me to get a good nights sleep. I think we all need a little help sometimes considering what we go thru.

Hugs, Kylez
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options
    Alexis F said:

I have used Ambien when I
    I have used Ambien when I have trouble sleeping and it works well for me. Good luck!

Lex

Last taxol bothered me the most too
    Just giving you some encouragement here. My last Taxol treatment was Feb 1, 2011 and it was the worst for me too. I got severely depressed, couldn't sleep, felt totally wiped and it took a lot longer to recover than any other treatment. I think it was the steroids they gave me that caused these issues though and not the chemo. As a matter of fact, I think most of my issues during chemo were with the 'helping' drugs and not necessarily the chemo itself. So be encouraged, because after 2 weeks, I started feeling much better and the best part was, I was DONE!!!!!!

I wouldn't worry about addiction either right now. Such a silly comment compared to all you have had to weather!

And while you may not have been feeling very funny while posting, your posts had me laughing! You can't be too far out from healing if you still have a sense of humor. AND vent anytime. You sound exactly like me when it comes to making everything better for everyone else. I found my family and friends were so used to me saying, "Yeah, it's not that bad." that they began to think it really wasn't that bad. At one point, during radiation, when my husband told me to stop complaining about the pain in my back, I finally said, Listen, I may have weathered this fairly well so far, but I'm still not in good shape. I feel like crap, like someone has beaten me into submission. And while I'm trying to get through each day by being positive, sometimes I just can't. It helped.

Hope you get some sleep soon. Try coming out of your thoughts and just blanking out some. Do something mindless, go somewhere that allows you to just relax, do something just for yourself. And by all means, get the damn Ambien from your doctor! Hugs, Barb
  • renee616
    Options
    NJMom10 said:

Last taxol bothered me the most too
    Just giving you some encouragement here. My last Taxol treatment was Feb 1, 2011 and it was the worst for me too. I got severely depressed, couldn't sleep, felt totally wiped and it took a lot longer to recover than any other treatment. I think it was the steroids they gave me that caused these issues though and not the chemo. As a matter of fact, I think most of my issues during chemo were with the 'helping' drugs and not necessarily the chemo itself. So be encouraged, because after 2 weeks, I started feeling much better and the best part was, I was DONE!!!!!!

I wouldn't worry about addiction either right now. Such a silly comment compared to all you have had to weather!

And while you may not have been feeling very funny while posting, your posts had me laughing! You can't be too far out from healing if you still have a sense of humor. AND vent anytime. You sound exactly like me when it comes to making everything better for everyone else. I found my family and friends were so used to me saying, "Yeah, it's not that bad." that they began to think it really wasn't that bad. At one point, during radiation, when my husband told me to stop complaining about the pain in my back, I finally said, Listen, I may have weathered this fairly well so far, but I'm still not in good shape. I feel like crap, like someone has beaten me into submission. And while I'm trying to get through each day by being positive, sometimes I just can't. It helped.

Hope you get some sleep soon. Try coming out of your thoughts and just blanking out some. Do something mindless, go somewhere that allows you to just relax, do something just for yourself. And by all means, get the damn Ambien from your doctor! Hugs, Barb

Thanks Barb! I finally did
    Thanks Barb! I finally did get that damn ambien! It was 4 days later....And the Dr just called it in, never said He needed to see me or anything. I think the receptionist was just trying to think by her self....I will be 2 weeks out from my very last treatment on Monday. I took taxotere with a neulasta shot the day after the last four rounds. So I don't know who's causing me the most trouble. Those drugs or the cocktails! But I get a red face then red inner hands, arms etc, feel hot & sick...have to run to bath room. Wake up thinking I feel great then My mood and energy just plummets. I do have to remind myself that it hasn't been very long & it will probably take a while to recoup from those drugs! I'm going to ask the Rad Dr Monday. And I do think this last ones been the worst! Its usually 3-4 days & I'm good to go....You definately get tired of being sick!
    Thanks for the post!
    Renee
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    renee616 said:

Thanks Barb! I finally did get that damn ambien! It was 4 days later....And the Dr just called it in, never said He needed to see me or anything. I think the receptionist was just trying to think by her self....I will be 2 weeks out from my very last treatment on Monday. I took taxotere with a neulasta shot the day after the last four rounds. So I don't know who's causing me the most trouble. Those drugs or the cocktails! But I get a red face then red inner hands, arms etc, feel hot & sick...have to run to bath room. Wake up thinking I feel great then My mood and energy just plummets. I do have to remind myself that it hasn't been very long & it will probably take a while to recoup from those drugs! I'm going to ask the Rad Dr Monday. And I do think this last ones been the worst! Its usually 3-4 days & I'm good to go....You definately get tired of being sick!
    Thanks for the post!
    Renee

So sorry that you are
    So sorry that you are feeling so bad Renee. Hoping the Ambien will help you.
  • poplolly
    poplolly Member Posts: 346
    Options
    I have taken Ambien for
    I have taken Ambien for about three years daily. If the doctor you have now won't do that, get another doctor. Not sleeping is the worst thing in the world. We have enough time for morbid thoughts during the day without having them all night long. You are so right! Unless a person has been in our boat, there is no real understanding of what we go through.
  • Vigee
    Vigee Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Oh, Renee,

I LOVED your "rant"! You summed up your/our frustrations perfectly!

When I got to the part about trying to be positive I started to cry. I think we all feel like this, don't want to be constantly complaining, but come on, this is hell.

I just finished my 4th A/C and will start Taxol next week. I have been battling the not sleeping thing as well, without drugs so far, but reading all of the other lovely ladies' posts am thinking it might be time to get a little help.

Wishing you, me and all of us, sweet dreams.

Love,
    Vigee (Vee-shay)
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    renee616 said:

Thanks for the post!
    Renee

hope you get some rest
    One thing that really bothers me is that the receptionists sometimes think they are the doctor, and worse yet----I guess two things----when the insurance companies think they are my doctors also and think the prescription (whatever it is) isn't cost effective.

I hope you get some rest and I wanted to say that sometimes when I cannot sleep, I just read.
    Now I love reading, but at night it makes me very sleepy. :)

Take care.
  • renee616
    Options
    Vigee said:

Oh, Renee,

I LOVED your "rant"! You summed up your/our frustrations perfectly!

When I got to the part about trying to be positive I started to cry. I think we all feel like this, don't want to be constantly complaining, but come on, this is hell.

I just finished my 4th A/C and will start Taxol next week. I have been battling the not sleeping thing as well, without drugs so far, but reading all of the other lovely ladies' posts am thinking it might be time to get a little help.

Wishing you, me and all of us, sweet dreams.

Love,
    Vigee (Vee-shay)

Hi Vigee
    Yes, I think some

Hi Vigee
    Yes, I think some times we do need help sleeping! I hope your Taxol treatments go by quickly! I am 2 weeks out from my last chemo tratment. 4 A/C & 4 Taxatere treatments. I usually bounce back quickly after a treatment and I start radiation in the morning, but my hands are broke out in a rash and I feel so much more tired than all the other times put together! What a pain! Dispite all the encouragement on the rads, I know I'm secrectly anxious about my first one.....Hoping to get a good nights sleep...kind of doubtful, We had a Great Fathers Day, but I'm sitting in reliner looking "I'm sure like a cancer patient!" :) Wig on cockeyed, I've rubbed my eye brows off from my eyes tearing all day! Pretty tired! But I thank you for the Sweet dreams wish! Same to you! Sleeps very important, but on days like today, I get so darn tired more easily & cant just tell everyone to go home! :) Keep us posted about how the Taxol treatments go! Will you be having radiation after your treatments?

Hugs, Sweet Dreams all!
    Renee
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    renee616 said:

Hi Vigee
    Yes, I think some

Hi Vigee
    Yes, I think some times we do need help sleeping! I hope your Taxol treatments go by quickly! I am 2 weeks out from my last chemo tratment. 4 A/C & 4 Taxatere treatments. I usually bounce back quickly after a treatment and I start radiation in the morning, but my hands are broke out in a rash and I feel so much more tired than all the other times put together! What a pain! Dispite all the encouragement on the rads, I know I'm secrectly anxious about my first one.....Hoping to get a good nights sleep...kind of doubtful, We had a Great Fathers Day, but I'm sitting in reliner looking "I'm sure like a cancer patient!" :) Wig on cockeyed, I've rubbed my eye brows off from my eyes tearing all day! Pretty tired! But I thank you for the Sweet dreams wish! Same to you! Sleeps very important, but on days like today, I get so darn tired more easily & cant just tell everyone to go home! :) Keep us posted about how the Taxol treatments go! Will you be having radiation after your treatments?

Hugs, Sweet Dreams all!
    Renee

How did your first rads
    How did your first rads appointment go Renee?

Lex