Permanent makeup - a vanity issue

Options
Double Whammy
Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
I'm going to get permanent eyeliner and maybe eyebrows (since I don't have any). A friend wondered if it was ok and thought maybe I should check with my doctor first. I'm tired of checking with my doctor for every little thing. Besides, some of you are getting nipples tatooed. And Heather, weren't you getting a new tat? How is this different? I think it's ok, but don't want to be foolish. What say you?

Suzanne

Comments

• emamei
    emamei Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Makeup
    Are you still in treatment? My eyebrows and hair grew back fairly quickly post chemo.

You should check with your docs though just to make sure it's o.k.
  • kjrpcb
    kjrpcb Member Posts: 41
    Options
    permanent make up
    We are all different but all my hair north-south-east-west and central valley started growing back very quickly even during treatment. I was suprised at how fast it grew.I don't know what they use to apply the make up. I'm presuming some form of needle or such. You don't want to risk infection. I would check with your Onc first. Good luck.
  • Survivor73
    Survivor73 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Eyeliner...
    Hi Suzanne. I had permanent eyeliner done years ago...I have blue eyes and really fair skin, and have always worn blue eyeliner...so I opted for the color blue. Just so you know, it didn't last very long...my mil went for brown and hers lasted much longer. You can get touch ups in a year or so to make them stay longer. You can still see mine if you look really hard...but I still put on eyeliner when wearing makeup as you can't see it.

We went to a school where they learn how to do it...they use a tattoo needle to mark the line, which kind of sears the skin. Then they put on a gel that numbs the skin. The first part hurts, but not too bad. Then they go back over the line and make it deeper/permanent. It was a little painful...I remember having to put some gel stuff on it for at least a week - and it looks funny for a week or so, so if you have any outings, make sure they are more than a week later.

Regarding infection, I don't know where you are at in your treatment. There is a risk (with any tattoo) for infection, so again I recommend you ask your onc.

Regarding the eyebrows, if you know where your brows will grow back, they I would say go for it...but what if they grow in slightly below/above where the tattoo is?? I would go for the eyeliner, but wait for the eyebrows...just a thought.

Anyway, good luck with it. I hope you enjoy it.

Any idea what colour you will do??

My MIL also had lip liner done and it worked really well...
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Miss Suzanne :)
    I am

I am actually getting a giant new tattoo this Friday -a year and a day after my diagnosis. I see no reason to ask your doctor about it -the only thing I would NOT do as far as tattoos is get one on your arm that had lymph nodes removed-I originally was going to get my tattoo on my right arm but because of lymphedema risks (i had nodes removed from my right armpit area) im having it on my left instead.
    Go for it! If done right I've seen it look really good, just make sure you have a really reputable artist. Actually-if I were you, I would find the most reputable tattoo artist in your area, rather than a beautician type deal-you want the person with the most experience putting permanent ink on your body. My tattoo artist is going to do my areola tattoos when my scars are healed, rather than my plastic surgeon.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

I am

I am actually getting a giant new tattoo this Friday -a year and a day after my diagnosis. I see no reason to ask your doctor about it -the only thing I would NOT do as far as tattoos is get one on your arm that had lymph nodes removed-I originally was going to get my tattoo on my right arm but because of lymphedema risks (i had nodes removed from my right armpit area) im having it on my left instead.
    Go for it! If done right I've seen it look really good, just make sure you have a really reputable artist. Actually-if I were you, I would find the most reputable tattoo artist in your area, rather than a beautician type deal-you want the person with the most experience putting permanent ink on your body. My tattoo artist is going to do my areola tattoos when my scars are healed, rather than my plastic surgeon.
    *hugs*
    Heather

I want e something else done
    I want something else done.I need to have my varicose veins removed.It reqiures a injection of saline(we get that in IV's). I talked to my oncologist and she wasn't worried.Anyway it is something we get or have had many times.When the procedure is done you see the vein collapse when they inject the saline.I had it done years ago but got tired of going for the treatment.My one leg looks bad so I need something done.

I thought about permanent make up but decided to forget it.I heard years ago blue eye shadow was no no so with my luck what I would use will be outdated. I think I will just hold off and worry about my leg veins.That's enough!!!!!!

Lynn Smith
  • Double Whammy
    Options

I want e something else done
    I want something else done.I need to have my varicose veins removed.It reqiures a injection of saline(we get that in IV's). I talked to my oncologist and she wasn't worried.Anyway it is something we get or have had many times.When the procedure is done you see the vein collapse when they inject the saline.I had it done years ago but got tired of going for the treatment.My one leg looks bad so I need something done.

I thought about permanent make up but decided to forget it.I heard years ago blue eye shadow was no no so with my luck what I would use will be outdated. I think I will just hold off and worry about my leg veins.That's enough!!!!!!

Lynn Smith

Tattoo artist vs. salon
    Heather, you're too cute! I strongly considered a tattoo artist and understand what you're saying. The kid (ok, 40-year-old man) who has the local place is a good friend of my son and he has someone who's been doing it for many years, but I'm a generation older than you and have this thing about "tattoo parlors". The woman (at a salon, of course) who will do it is highly recommended, we talked about any potential health conflicts (she says she's done them when women are still in chemo and does them often after) and she said there were none. She has 10+ years of experience. I've seen her work.

Everyone has an opinion about color. I've heard blue isn't a good choice. I've also been told that black is the only way to go. And then I've been told not to do black.

My appointment is at 11:30 tomorrow. I just might get my brows done, too, because I got the impression there's a package deal . . . . afterall, it's my birthday!

Suzanne
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Tattoo artist vs. salon
    Heather, you're too cute! I strongly considered a tattoo artist and understand what you're saying. The kid (ok, 40-year-old man) who has the local place is a good friend of my son and he has someone who's been doing it for many years, but I'm a generation older than you and have this thing about "tattoo parlors". The woman (at a salon, of course) who will do it is highly recommended, we talked about any potential health conflicts (she says she's done them when women are still in chemo and does them often after) and she said there were none. She has 10+ years of experience. I've seen her work.

Everyone has an opinion about color. I've heard blue isn't a good choice. I've also been told that black is the only way to go. And then I've been told not to do black.

My appointment is at 11:30 tomorrow. I just might get my brows done, too, because I got the impression there's a package deal . . . . afterall, it's my birthday!

Suzanne

Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday to YOU!
    Good for you! I'm glad you're celebrating with something you want, like eyebrows and eyeliner. You are truly a girly-girl Suzanne!! I love it! Maybe you can post some photos of the results. If not, I'll get to see on the 25th. Can't wait!

Chickadee
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    emamei said:

Makeup
    Are you still in treatment? My eyebrows and hair grew back fairly quickly post chemo.

You should check with your docs though just to make sure it's o.k.

I have a girlfriend that had
    I have a girlfriend that had the eyeliner done and she is very happy with it!
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday to YOU!
    Good for you! I'm glad you're celebrating with something you want, like eyebrows and eyeliner. You are truly a girly-girl Suzanne!! I love it! Maybe you can post some photos of the results. If not, I'll get to see on the 25th. Can't wait!

Chickadee

Suzanne,
    How did it go? I

Suzanne,
    How did it go? I can't wait to hear!
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • poplolly
    poplolly Member Posts: 346
    Options
    I think I would have enjoyed
    I think I would have enjoyed having that. My eyebrows and eyelashes have grown back. If yours came out because of the chemo, yours may come back too. However, if it makes YOU happy and it makes you feel good, I think it's a go!!! (PS-I have two tattoes--I got them when I was young and didn't know any better--I was in my 40's) and that's another good story......
  • Double Whammy
    Options
    poplolly said:

I think I would have enjoyed
    I think I would have enjoyed having that. My eyebrows and eyelashes have grown back. If yours came out because of the chemo, yours may come back too. However, if it makes YOU happy and it makes you feel good, I think it's a go!!! (PS-I have two tattoes--I got them when I was young and didn't know any better--I was in my 40's) and that's another good story......

Got 'em!
    If anyone is interested, there is the website for the woman who did my eyeliner AND eyebrows today: www.estellesplace.com. I'm very happy and very broke. She spent the first 15 minutes talking to me about what she does. She's very good at it (talking about herself). I'd already made up my mind that if I could get a "deal" doing both at the same time, I'd do it and I did. The "deal" was still expensive, but I think this is something you should not scrimp on. I did not choose a color. She told me what she recommended based on my skin, hair, and eye color. It made sense to me. I'm a little tender and skin is irratated around the areas I had done, but this stuff is here to stay. I'll wake up tomorrow with eyebrows and eyeliner. She will see me again in a couple of weeks to do any touch up.

Estelle thinks that needling can stimulate my hair growth. She thinks she can get some action going on my head. I'm not totally convinced. She thinks that my eyelashes may fill in and grow because of the skin trauma to my eyelids. We'll see. If they do and my head hair remains as it is, I will definitely give it a shot.

My husband is grumbing about the cost. He'll get over it (or not, I really don't care). I didn't bother to tell him that I may have my face and neck needled in the future. I had no idea this stuff existed.

Even though my brows and liner are quite dark right now (her comment was that I'd look like a hooker for a few days), I can tell you that I'm so happy I did this. I have absolutely no color without makeup (I never did) and suddenly I have eyebrows and my eyes are lined subtly yet they "pop" even without any additional makeup. Just think, I'll be able to get up and plop on my wig and a little mascara and be good to go. Ok, you younger women won't understand this.

Oh, while I was there she got a phone call from the tatoo place where I considered going. They were calling for advice. Interesting.

Estelle works with plastic surgeons - and she does nipples. She said people fly in (to Woodland? Really?) from all over the country to have her do either permanent makeup, needling, or nipple tatooing. She also teaches these techniques. I feel I made a wise choice by having her do my work, but also recognize she's not the only person capable of doing a good job, even though she kept reiterating tht she was "the best".

Happy birthday to me!

Suzanne
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options

Got 'em!
    If anyone is interested, there is the website for the woman who did my eyeliner AND eyebrows today: www.estellesplace.com. I'm very happy and very broke. She spent the first 15 minutes talking to me about what she does. She's very good at it (talking about herself). I'd already made up my mind that if I could get a "deal" doing both at the same time, I'd do it and I did. The "deal" was still expensive, but I think this is something you should not scrimp on. I did not choose a color. She told me what she recommended based on my skin, hair, and eye color. It made sense to me. I'm a little tender and skin is irratated around the areas I had done, but this stuff is here to stay. I'll wake up tomorrow with eyebrows and eyeliner. She will see me again in a couple of weeks to do any touch up.

Estelle thinks that needling can stimulate my hair growth. She thinks she can get some action going on my head. I'm not totally convinced. She thinks that my eyelashes may fill in and grow because of the skin trauma to my eyelids. We'll see. If they do and my head hair remains as it is, I will definitely give it a shot.

My husband is grumbing about the cost. He'll get over it (or not, I really don't care). I didn't bother to tell him that I may have my face and neck needled in the future. I had no idea this stuff existed.

Even though my brows and liner are quite dark right now (her comment was that I'd look like a hooker for a few days), I can tell you that I'm so happy I did this. I have absolutely no color without makeup (I never did) and suddenly I have eyebrows and my eyes are lined subtly yet they "pop" even without any additional makeup. Just think, I'll be able to get up and plop on my wig and a little mascara and be good to go. Ok, you younger women won't understand this.

Oh, while I was there she got a phone call from the tatoo place where I considered going. They were calling for advice. Interesting.

Estelle works with plastic surgeons - and she does nipples. She said people fly in (to Woodland? Really?) from all over the country to have her do either permanent makeup, needling, or nipple tatooing. She also teaches these techniques. I feel I made a wise choice by having her do my work, but also recognize she's not the only person capable of doing a good job, even though she kept reiterating tht she was "the best".

Happy birthday to me!

Suzanne

This is truly a birthday to
    This is truly a birthday to remember! I'm thrilled for you and am very excited to see the work.

Hugs,

Linda
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

Got 'em!

Happy birthday to me!

Suzanne

Suzanne so happy you love your results!!!
    I am a chicken when it comes to tattoos. I like them on other people though, I must admit.

You think you can post a picture of your gorgeous self? I would love to see it.

It's so important to feel good about yourself, so good for you! And I can't think of better
    Birthday present. HAPPY BIRTHDAY my fair lady!

Love,
    Ayse
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

This is truly a birthday to remember! I'm thrilled for you and am very excited to see the work.

Hugs,

Linda

I am so happy for you
    I am so happy for you Suzanne! You go girl! And, Happy Birthday!

♠♣ Love, Susie ♠♣
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    aysemari said:

Suzanne so happy you love your results!!!
    I am a chicken when it comes to tattoos. I like them on other people though, I must admit.

You think you can post a picture of your gorgeous self? I would love to see it.

It's so important to feel good about yourself, so good for you! And I can't think of better
    Birthday present. HAPPY BIRTHDAY my fair lady!

Love,
    Ayse

Glad you did it Suzanne!
    Glad you did it Suzanne! Can you post a pic?
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

Hugs,

Linda

What a great thing to do for
    What a great thing to do for your birthday! So happy for you!

When can we see a picture of how great you look?

Lex
  • Double Whammy
    Options
    Noel said:

Glad you did it Suzanne!
    Glad you did it Suzanne! Can you post a pic?

I'll post pictures after my
    I'll post pictures after my touch up in a couple of weeks. I am very happy I did it, but it's not done yet.

Suzanne
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

I'll post pictures after my
    I'll post pictures after my touch up in a couple of weeks. I am very happy I did it, but it's not done yet.

Suzanne

Can't wait to see them
    Can't wait to see them Suzanne! So glad this made you happy!

Jan
  • Survivor73
    Survivor73 Member Posts: 135
    Options

Can't wait to see them
    Can't wait to see them Suzanne! So glad this made you happy!

Jan

lashes
    Ok, so I also had my eyeliner done...and then right afterward I had my eyelashes done.

I had it done at Merle Norman (don't know if they have this in the US but any spa should do it).

They put stuff on your lashes that stays and it lasts for about 6 weeks...wake up and just go, you already have eyeliner and mascara on...it was great!

Just a thought if your interested...

By the way, I just about freaked out when I had the lashes done...you have stuff put on both eyes and have to wait about 10 minutes where you can't see and they leave you alone...take a friend with you to talk to...

Anyway, take care all...S73
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

lashes
    Ok, so I also had my eyeliner done...and then right afterward I had my eyelashes done.

I had it done at Merle Norman (don't know if they have this in the US but any spa should do it).

They put stuff on your lashes that stays and it lasts for about 6 weeks...wake up and just go, you already have eyeliner and mascara on...it was great!

Just a thought if your interested...

By the way, I just about freaked out when I had the lashes done...you have stuff put on both eyes and have to wait about 10 minutes where you can't see and they leave you alone...take a friend with you to talk to...

Anyway, take care all...S73

Good luck with the touch up
    Good luck with the touch up Suzanne! This sounds so cool to do this!