Radiation question

Options
Dav1965
Dav1965 Member Posts: 132
I finished radiation treatment in October. Now i have been having really bad ear pain. The doctor finally did a ct scan and i have a cyst by my ear and jaw bone. Also the socket that holds the jaw in place radiation deteriated it. I am in more pain now than ever. Any body have anything like this happen to them. My doctor is trying to find someone to look at me now. At least the cyst is non cancerous. Any help would be apreciated. David

Comments

• palmyrafan
    palmyrafan Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Jaw Pain
    I am sorry to hear that you are having pain in the ear and jaw.

My brother-in-law is a maxillofacial jaw surgeon. While he treats people who need root canals, etc., he also treats those who have had surgery and/or radiation to the jaw bone area who need reconstructive surgery.

Once your doctor gives you the all-clear that it is nothing more serious (cancerous tumors), you might want to check out the maxillofacial surgeons in your area who should be able to help you rebuild your jaw and hopefully stop, or at least lessen the pain.

Good luck.

Teresa
  • Dav1965
    Dav1965 Member Posts: 132
    Options
    Thanks
    My doctor was sending me to someone but that doctor said that he could not do nothing for me. So my doctors still looking for someone.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Dav1965 said:

Thanks
    My doctor was sending me to someone but that doctor said that he could not do nothing for me. So my doctors still looking for someone.

Hi David

Very sorry to hear about your pain, I too live with this pain in the left ear and jaw due to radiation damage. I have asked both my Oncl and my ENT doctors about what I can do for it to stop the pain. You would know they just offer a stronger pain killer, but I don’t more pills. Hope you get some help and if so please let me know what they do so maybe I can try the same thing.

Wishing you the best in help
    Hondo
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options
    Ear pain...
    David, I am 21 months post treatment and still experience bad ear pain in the same ear that bothered me before treatment. My ENT checks my ear and larynx during each visit and says that everything looks good and he has no explanation for the pain. It isn't a constant thing either, it will hurt for weeks and then stop for a few days and then start up again. He doesn't seem too concerned so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Fortunately I haven't had any jaw problems. Hoping they find an answer to your problems soon and everything works out well.

Stay strong,
    Glenna
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Glenna M said:

Ear pain...
    David, I am 21 months post treatment and still experience bad ear pain in the same ear that bothered me before treatment. My ENT checks my ear and larynx during each visit and says that everything looks good and he has no explanation for the pain. It isn't a constant thing either, it will hurt for weeks and then stop for a few days and then start up again. He doesn't seem too concerned so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Fortunately I haven't had any jaw problems. Hoping they find an answer to your problems soon and everything works out well.

Stay strong,
    Glenna

Ditto
    Same here. Just like Glenna with the ear pain.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options

Ditto
    Same here. Just like Glenna with the ear pain.

Side affect

I think ear pain is just a part of the many side affects of Radiation, for some it’s not bad for other it is a nightmare.

Hondo