anyone else ever out of medical to be called and told we did away with your job?

Options
2»

Comments

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    poplolly said:

That stinks, Denise. The
    That stinks, Denise. The very idea of a boss calling to tell a cancer patient that is outrageous.

That's awful
    So sorry, Denise. It more than stinks. Whether it's legal or not, it's reprehensible and just plain wrong. Where is their moral compass?

I hope you're able to accept the position at the new location and it turns out to be a blessing in disguise. Sure!

Suzanne
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

That's awful
    So sorry, Denise. It more than stinks. Whether it's legal or not, it's reprehensible and just plain wrong. Where is their moral compass?

I hope you're able to accept the position at the new location and it turns out to be a blessing in disguise. Sure!

Suzanne

Denise
    Denise,
    I am very sorry that you are having this problem. Please seek legal help and do not sign any paper until you talk to a lawyer. If your hospital has a clinical social worker please discuss with him/her your situation.
    Hugs
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options

Denise
    Denise,
    I am very sorry that you are having this problem. Please seek legal help and do not sign any paper until you talk to a lawyer. If your hospital has a clinical social worker please discuss with him/her your situation.
    Hugs

Like mentioned above prior
    Like mentioned above prior to surgery I did contact Cancer support group I had gone to in past and given # for help...they never returned my call (i was surprised) I left a message well over month ago...so last night I sent email to support group again to see if they have another contact or group....just so I am informed of my rights...I dont' even trust my union..
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    That is awful! It is so
    That is awful! It is so stressful. The worst that really happened to me was the company I work changing health insurance on me twice. So I went from an HMO at time of diagnosis to a PPO last year and now a HRA this year. It was enough trying to figure out the different systems and how much I really owed. But to be shunted around at work and being out of medical while undergoing this treatment is really rough. I hope there is something you can do about this. I wish you well.
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

That is awful! It is so
    That is awful! It is so stressful. The worst that really happened to me was the company I work changing health insurance on me twice. So I went from an HMO at time of diagnosis to a PPO last year and now a HRA this year. It was enough trying to figure out the different systems and how much I really owed. But to be shunted around at work and being out of medical while undergoing this treatment is really rough. I hope there is something you can do about this. I wish you well.

I contacted support group i went to 3 yrs ago
    I heard back and they gave me # of local legal agency...they did so much wrong (my job) 3 yrs ago...I found out in hind sight....so this time I am getting informed prior to going back to work...so I know what they can and can't do...i have phone conference monday...and i have misc list of things/ questions...

Denise
  • briedawn
    briedawn Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was terminated when I went on disability
    I was terminated when I went on disability. I got my cancer diagnosis one week after I started a new job. My company's policy is that you are not eligible for FMLA (job protection) until you have worked there a year. I went on disability after I started Chemo. Some people work through chemo, but as a nurse, I couldn't make medical decisions for other people with "chemo brain". Fortunately I have state disability.

If you don't want to relocate:
    You mentioned that you carry the insurance for your family. Last time I had to go on COBRA, I had help from the Obama plan. The government subsidized my COBRA payment, so I only had to pay $400, instead of $1100 a month. Google Obama cobra subsidy.
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    briedawn said:

I was terminated when I went on disability. I got my cancer diagnosis one week after I started a new job. My company's policy is that you are not eligible for FMLA (job protection) until you have worked there a year. I went on disability after I started Chemo. Some people work through chemo, but as a nurse, I couldn't make medical decisions for other people with "chemo brain". Fortunately I have state disability.

You mentioned that you carry the insurance for your family. Last time I had to go on COBRA, I had help from the Obama plan. The government subsidized my COBRA payment, so I only had to pay $400, instead of $1100 a month. Google Obama cobra subsidy.

wow...sorry to hear....new
    wow...sorry to hear....new location is about same distance or closer for me...I go back monday...i'll see how it goes...

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    briedawn said:

wow...sorry to hear....new
    wow...sorry to hear....new location is about same distance or closer for me...I go back monday...i'll see how it goes...

Denise
  • jason8705
    jason8705 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    hard time in work
    I definately know what you mean...I worked thru my treatments missed days here and there but, I did my best! They changed my dept. said it might be easier for me (less stress)....Now they say I can't go back because of needs of service I have to stay where I am..I still get tired easily, had a double mast. stage 3b breast cancer band still need reconstruction surgery....Now they want to change my shift and keep asking me what my restrictions are and that they want to see if I can still perform my job duties..I am starting to get scared since they have forced other employees out before by giving ultimatives....Doing the best I can , but I need my medical and don't know how much more I can take....
  • jason8705
    jason8705 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    hard time in work
    I definately know what you mean...I worked thru my treatments missed days here and there but, I did my best! They changed my dept. said it might be easier for me (less stress)....Now they say I can't go back because of needs of service I have to stay where I am..I still get tired easily, had a double mast. stage 3b breast cancer band still need reconstruction surgery....Now they want to change my shift and keep asking me what my restrictions are and that they want to see if I can still perform my job duties..I am starting to get scared since they have forced other employees out before by giving ultimatives....Doing the best I can , but I need my medical and don't know how much more I can take....
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    jason8705 said:

hard time in work

wow..do you think they are
    wow..do you think they are trying to break you so you quit? or just office drama...going on?
    SO hard to know...what some business' do or planning..Ihope it works out for you
    Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    jason8705 said:

hard time in work

wow..do you think they are
    wow..do you think they are trying to break you so you quit? or just office drama...going on?
    SO hard to know...what some business' do or planning..Ihope it works out for you
    Denise