Options
2»

Comments

• jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

mariam
    you've come to the right place. I hear you loud and clear regarding the summer school issue. Your daughter is probably dealing with a lot of emotions knowing what her mother went through with cancer. As for your female problems, I hope all tests are good results.
    {{hugs}} Char

Hoping that your daughter
    Hoping that your daughter will realize how much stress she is causing you and you certainly don't need that.

Positive thoughts and prayers for you,

Leeza
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Poor thing
    Poor thing, I'm sorry you seem to be having issues on so many different fronts. Praying that all your appts. go better than you could dream and all tests come back negative, or with things that are simple to fix.

As for your 12 year old daughter, all I can say as a grandmother who's raising an 18 and 15 year old, just keep praying and hang on to the fact that soon she'll be 13, although that may not be any better, just closer to being an adult.

marge

Good luck with your doctor's
    Good luck with your doctor's appointment. Praying for good results.

Hugs, Angie
  • renee616
    renee616 Member Posts: 181
    Options

Thank-you for all your
    Thank-you for all your wonderfully kind and encouraging words. It is a relief to come here, read posts and just let off some steam.

The appointment with the gyne was rather a waste of time! He was a little more friendly but not forthcoming with information and his solution to everything going on in the reproductive region was to remove it. Okay well, maybe that might be the right solution but I need a little more information to get the bigger picture and put things in perspective. You know, you don't go to the hardware store and ask for ice-cream, if you do you end up frustrated 'cause you are just not going to get what you want. So I decided to go in search of the ice-cream store and see another gyne. Actually I came home and made an appointment with an Acupuncturist whom I will see today. She has a great deal of experience in 'Women's health'. I'll let you know how this goes.

No offense to men but I don't think they make great gynecologists, maybe great at delivering babies but in my experience once you are done with reproduction they want to just remove all those parts.

On the daughter front, she has calmed down. She found out some other kids she knows are also going to the same summer school. So for now that is a little easier. The other stressor with her was that I found out that she had been on the 'Pro Ana' (promotion of Anorexia)websites and was going to use some of the tips and tricks to lose weight!!! She has a friend who has an eating disorder and told her about the sites. It is fine to lose weight (I lost 30lbs since the end of chemo) but it doesn't have to be abusive. I spoke to her doctor who is also going to keep an eye on her as well.

Dyaneb I had a good laugh at your comment 'so far I think I'm the champ of ridiculously huge unnoticed tumors'. I think it just goes to show how benign fibroids can really be.
    Tracy thanks for reminding me about Trifle. It was one of my favourite childhood deserts and a great summer one at that. I think making one is in order this weekend. Will let you know how that one works out.

thanks again for all the support!

Mariam
    Hi
    I'm glad you are seeking a second opinion! If you didn't care for your gyno in the first place, then I'm sure you don't trust his opinion. In our office there's a Male & female gyno. I asked for the female but the appts for her were farther out and everyone highly recommended him. I saw him and liked him. I hope you will get great results and continue to get healthy! Also congrats on the 30 pound weight loss! I'm just biding my time waiting to get started on radiation & see how that pans out, before concentrating on some weight loss myself.
    I'm glad things have calmed down with your daughter. I did the best I could do raising my two girls, Tried to stay on top of things like the internet, friends, social activities etc. kind of like a Private detective. Then I held my breath and hoped & prayed they didn't fall into bad things like the site you're talking about. I would monitor the computer & sites visited and although she could get on on somebodies else s computer, I would not be opposed to not allowing computer usage if She wasn't following the allowable sites rule. I have a 30 yr old daughter and a 17 yr old. And I have a know it all ten yr old granddaughter who likes to act like her 17 yr old aunt!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

Thank-you for all your
    Thank-you for all your wonderfully kind and encouraging words. It is a relief to come here, read posts and just let off some steam.

The appointment with the gyne was rather a waste of time! He was a little more friendly but not forthcoming with information and his solution to everything going on in the reproductive region was to remove it. Okay well, maybe that might be the right solution but I need a little more information to get the bigger picture and put things in perspective. You know, you don't go to the hardware store and ask for ice-cream, if you do you end up frustrated 'cause you are just not going to get what you want. So I decided to go in search of the ice-cream store and see another gyne. Actually I came home and made an appointment with an Acupuncturist whom I will see today. She has a great deal of experience in 'Women's health'. I'll let you know how this goes.

No offense to men but I don't think they make great gynecologists, maybe great at delivering babies but in my experience once you are done with reproduction they want to just remove all those parts.

On the daughter front, she has calmed down. She found out some other kids she knows are also going to the same summer school. So for now that is a little easier. The other stressor with her was that I found out that she had been on the 'Pro Ana' (promotion of Anorexia)websites and was going to use some of the tips and tricks to lose weight!!! She has a friend who has an eating disorder and told her about the sites. It is fine to lose weight (I lost 30lbs since the end of chemo) but it doesn't have to be abusive. I spoke to her doctor who is also going to keep an eye on her as well.

Dyaneb I had a good laugh at your comment 'so far I think I'm the champ of ridiculously huge unnoticed tumors'. I think it just goes to show how benign fibroids can really be.
    Tracy thanks for reminding me about Trifle. It was one of my favourite childhood deserts and a great summer one at that. I think making one is in order this weekend. Will let you know how that one works out.

Glad your daughter is coming
    Glad your daughter is coming around somewhat. I don't have one, so, I can't really reply to what you are going thru.

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

♠♣ Love, Susie ♠♣
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Thank-you for all your

How did your appointment
    How did your appointment with he acupuncturist go?
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    DebbyM said:

How did your appointment
    How did your appointment with he acupuncturist go?

I have been to the

I have been to the acupuncturist twice. I really like the woman, she is very gentle and caring. She took a look at my pelvic region, was surprised by how large my fibroid was but said she also noticed that I seemed to be having lymph drainage problems in the pelvic area and this was the possible cause of the distention.

After the first visit, I no longer had any discomfort in the pelvic area, some of the swelling went down and the fibroid wasn't sticking out so much. However after 3 nights of little to no sleep (we can thank my dear daughter for that and no she wasn't sick), I was as swollen as ever. I did feel better after the second visit but the swelling seems to go up and down and it has been difficult for me to get consistent good rest.

It might take several visits and I think I am going to do at least 10 visits. My health insurance covers 12 visits up to $30 and I can do the rest pre-tax. If I can avoid a surgery and other problems then it will be worth it.

I will eventually make an appointment with a different gynae to get a second opinion on what is going on.

Thanks for asking.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

I have been to the

I have been to the acupuncturist twice. I really like the woman, she is very gentle and caring. She took a look at my pelvic region, was surprised by how large my fibroid was but said she also noticed that I seemed to be having lymph drainage problems in the pelvic area and this was the possible cause of the distention.

After the first visit, I no longer had any discomfort in the pelvic area, some of the swelling went down and the fibroid wasn't sticking out so much. However after 3 nights of little to no sleep (we can thank my dear daughter for that and no she wasn't sick), I was as swollen as ever. I did feel better after the second visit but the swelling seems to go up and down and it has been difficult for me to get consistent good rest.

It might take several visits and I think I am going to do at least 10 visits. My health insurance covers 12 visits up to $30 and I can do the rest pre-tax. If I can avoid a surgery and other problems then it will be worth it.

I will eventually make an appointment with a different gynae to get a second opinion on what is going on.

Thanks for asking.

Lymphedema therapist
    Mariam,
    If you sure that you are having problems with lymph drainage you might want to see lymphedema therapist. Lymphedema could happen in any parts of the body including growing and pelvic area. Lymphedema therapist can teach you self massage to clear paths and care so you will be able to manage it yourself.
    Wishing you the best,
    New Flower
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

I have been to the

Thanks for asking.

Glad the acupuncturist is
    Glad the acupuncturist is helping some. It might be good though to seek a 2nd opinion from another gyno.
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options
    Noel said:

Glad the acupuncturist is
    Glad the acupuncturist is helping some. It might be good though to seek a 2nd opinion from another gyno.

Good to seek another opinion but why no surgery
    Other than the obvious, that surgery takes time and expense, I'm wondering why you opt for no surgery to remove the fibroid. I've had fibroids for several years now and my gyno and I have been watching them to see if they will get bigger or shrink. Since I was so close to menopause, and now probably in it due to the final push of chemo, we decided to wait on surgery. He said the fibroids would shrink when I hit menopause. I had an ultrasound last month and his predictions were correct, the fibroids and my uterine lining have both gotten smaller. Great news as I am on Tamoxifen now and that drug can cause the opposite effect. But, if I didn't receive this news, I was prepared to have them removed. Why? Because the pain, swelling and discomfort from them these past few years has just been a royal nuisance! Of course, you have to make your own decision, but I think if it was me, I would just have the damn thing taken out! Just my opinion. Best wishes for a great outcome whatever you decide to do!

Oh and on the daughter front...I have found my journey with my daughter to be such a roller coaster. For months she will be fine and then wham, she's tortured and a mess! The best thing to do is monitor her activity in every way you can. Although I've heard people say not to be invasive into their privacy, I don't listen to that. I have read her diaries to check on her activities. And although I've read some pretty scary stuff in there, I usually don't confront her directly. Instead, I talk about the things she's doing in a 3rd party type of way, like describing the terrible side effects of smoking or drugs or talking about someone else's struggle with weight and how they dealt with it. So far, I find this works for us. She is 20 now and her moody, messed up times seem to be getting less and less. Good luck with it all and keep us posted.

I'm curious to hear how the acupuncture works out. I'm thinking of trying Reiki therapy. Anything to ease the pain of the last 9 months of treatments!
    Hugs, Barb
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

I have been to the

Thanks for asking.

I have heard of others
    I have heard of others saying the acupuncture has helped them in certain areas. Great that it is helping you.