does 'mild' really mean 'mild'?

mlavitt
mlavitt Member Posts: 5
Hi. I am on TC (taxotere/cytoxan) chemo. Just had my second treatment. The nurses keep telling me that it is a mild form of chemotherapy. The first round wasn't bad at all. This time, I am having a much harder time getting through the exhaustion and bone pain. The sweating is worse and my mental state is worse. Is this normal? Or am I being a baby because I can't deal with "mild" chemotherapy? I'm a stay-at-home mom, so I have to have people around to help me with my kids. Do others go to work while feeling like this? I don't understand how that is possible.

Comments

• mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    You're not being a baby
    You're not being a baby. I think often the medical team tries to play down the effects of treatment, perhaps hoping we'll take the suggestion and have fewer problems. Unfortunately, that doesn't always work. I had a much easier time with A/C, although it's thought to be worse, than I did with the "easier" taxol and I think there's probably as many women on this board who would agree, as there are those who would totally diagree. also, the effects become cumulative so as treatments go on you may find the effects seeming worse. Let your onc know what's happening, as they have many things to help with some of the side effects. You have legitimate issues, so don't let anyone, even you, minimize them.

Some of us did work thru treatment. I was new to my job and needed the health insurance,and was really pretty lucky as side effects weren't as serious as some have had.

Take care of yourself, be good to yourself.

marge
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Mild????
    I had TC as well. I never heard my onco or chemo nurses say it was mild! How can putting toxins in your body to kill all the cells in your body be MILD????

I found as I had more rounds (4) it was cumulative...so by the 4th treatment I was wiped out. Yes, I worked full time, only taking chemo day off (Fri) but I don't think I could have worked after the 4th one. It must be twice as hard being a stay at home mom and being on chemo. God bless you!

You are not a baby...this is the hardest thing you will ever do and don't let the docs minimize your side effects. If you don't feel right...tell them. Keep after them if you need other drugs to keep you comfortable.

My best to you!

Patti
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    MILD?
    Ok. I thought I could work through chemo so after first AC I did. BUT, as treatments went on, no way! I am getting my second Taxol treatment this Friday and I continue to work from home. The pains are terrible with Taxol and nuelesta, as well as the fatigue and loopy feeling. I am able to work from home but I wish I could go in to work. However, as long as I am feeling these effects, I think it's best to rest and take care of myself. I suggest you do the same. Please be good to yourself.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    We are all different and react differnet!

I did't do T/C but did 4 A/C which were not bad at all. After surgery I did 12 Taxol which were BAD for me. Many have the exact opposiote reactions.

I was a 'stay at home wife' so "work" was not an issue for me. Our Sons are adults.

We are all so differnt! Do not expect to be like anyone else!

Thoughts and prayers!

Susan
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    I didn't have chemo, but,
    I didn't have chemo, but, there is nothing easy about chemo from what I understand. I bet the nurses are just trying to make you feel better by saying that. Maybe just trying to put that thought in your mind? I don't know, but, it isn't easy.

You are not a baby! Not at all!

Praying you feel better!

Hugs, Diane
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    DianeBC said:

I didn't have chemo, but,
    I didn't have chemo, but, there is nothing easy about chemo from what I understand. I bet the nurses are just trying to make you feel better by saying that. Maybe just trying to put that thought in your mind? I don't know, but, it isn't easy.

You are not a baby! Not at all!

Praying you feel better!

Hugs, Diane

They told me that, too
    When I met with the oncology nurse, her comment was that I should be thankful I didn't have to have chemo for my endometrial cancer (I am). She said on a scale of 1-10, the cocktail most used for endo cancer is an 8, and the Taxotere and Cytoxin is a 4. I didn't think it was a 4! I also don't think it was an 8, but I'd give it a good solid 7. Poison is poison in my book.

Suzanne