2»

Comments

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    jeepman said:

Permanent profile
    John,

I have a temporary profile now and it will turn permanent once I know what is affected, post recovery. I am exempt for now, basically. I compete for Sergeant Major this year and really hope to make it. It's kind of like why would you attend medical school and decide not to be a Doctor, at least that is my perspective. Thank you for your service to this great country.

I am now covered for life with dental and medical insurance and all pharmaceuticals for life with zero deductibles due to my diagnosis occurring on active duty.

Take care brother,

Mike

Good Deal
    Glad they are taking care of you....

It's good to see that the military is taking care of you. I have seen a lot change in the years since I was in. So many in government these days didn't serve and it always seems so easy for them to cut benefits.

Fortunately medical, dental and health care in general have remained good for retires and current enlisted.

Thank you for your service as well....

I just read today where some college is trying to not allow the Star Spangled Banner to be song at sporting events...too violent and graphic...give me a break.

Some things really sadden me these days.

John
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Pam M said:

Breville Owner
    Mike,

I bought a Breville about five years ago in hopes that my mother could be coaxed to drink some nutrients (no interest in eating). Only used it a couple of times, then switched to store bought juices. Packed it away til after my tonsillectomy. From what I've read, the centrifuge units like this aren't ideal, but I (like Sweet) find the "best" machines to be out out of my financial reach. I quit juicing when docs told me to give up fresh fruit and veggies during chemo, and am just now getting ready to start up again. It did just fine with apples, carrots, cabbage and cucumbers - not so great on spinach. Like Sweet, I would juice one serving at a time, and down it as soon as it was processed. I figure I am losing out on some nutritional value by using a less expensive juicer, but am convinced that it's better than store bought juices. I would be interested to hear if any folks here have used leftover pulp in recipes (so I could get in the "lost" fiber).

Word of warning - hope I'm not too late - several fresh juices burn going down when you're dealing with damaged mouth/throat tissue. Good luck with it.

Pam - juicing
    I think it has to be better than the store bought. I notice the store bought can have added sugars sometimes. Plus preservatives????? I find that by putting a heaping spoonful of glutamine powder in my juices and smoothies it seems to help mellow any burning fruits. But it was a good 1 and 1/2 years that I couldn't drink fruit juices. Too painful and if I forced myself or tried to numb my tongue, and drink it anyway, I would get sores. That is why I don't and did not like to numb my tongue to eat food, because I cannot feel if something is wrong. Plus it makes me gag. Anyway...
    I figure even with my style of juicer it has to has some benefits. I will say these days I am using my HealthMaster more and more over my juicer. I bet I'm down to only twice a week on clear juices. Especially now that it's hot, and I'm using frozen fruit, that I cut up and then froze, to make whole fruit frozen smoothies. Nice when it's too hot to cook and you have to appetite to eat, I can manage to get one of those down. Plus you are using the whole fruit, more fibre and less waste.

Which leads me to the next thing of what to do with the pulp. I have stirred the apple pulp into oatmeal. Even the carrot pulp into oat meal, because I prefer savory oatmeal to sweet. Stir it into muffin mixes. Sweet or savory. Carrot can go into corn bread or muffins. Or make a carrot and chopped fresh herb muffin to go with soups and stews. Carrot cake. Or I have had a little bag where I accumulate the carrot, parsley, celery, and fennel bulb pulp that I keep in the freezer and then make a little veggie broth with it. That last may not give you the fibre, because you strain it out, but at least it's not going into the compost pile. I also have stirred in the carrot pulp into Nizzy's dog food. My dog loves fruits and veggies. He is crazy for bananas and cantaloup and loves cooked carrots. He goes ballistic when he sees me touch a banana.
  • Lelia
    Lelia Member Posts: 98
    Options
    Acme Waring Juice Extractor 6001
    I juiced long before cancer entered my orbit and went through several Brevilles before I discovered the Acme Waring. It's especially effective on hard fruits and vegetables like carrots, beets and apples. For some reason soft fruits like pineapple and grapes don't provide as high a yield, but everything I've ever tried in my Acme worked. A new Acme 6001 is under $200 and many friends have found deals on refurbished models w/warranty.

We also own a classic Waring blender and a high powered wide body KitchenAid blender designed for frozen smoothies. Neither one liquifies fruits and vegetables the way I understand Vitamix does; props to Sweetblood and AdventureBob for sharing here the Vitamix H&N c discount. I talked to Vitamix last week (the representative was so helpful and well informed) and soon will have my own machine, my husband lost his R salivary system in February and I want him to benefit from the fiber separated (and in our case, often wasted) when I juice with the Acme.

Between the loss of the salivary glands and the R facial nerve, my husband will need creative food options, and I'm glad to have both the Acme and the Vitamix, I believe they'll both be quite useful in the long term as we phase off the PEG into our 'new normal.' Sometimes a glass of Acme pulp-free carrot ginger juice is just the ticket and for heartier times, the Vitamix option sounds awesome, am looking forward to trying new things when it arrives, whole-leaf kale green blends, soups etc.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Lelia said:

Acme Waring Juice Extractor 6001
    I juiced long before cancer entered my orbit and went through several Brevilles before I discovered the Acme Waring. It's especially effective on hard fruits and vegetables like carrots, beets and apples. For some reason soft fruits like pineapple and grapes don't provide as high a yield, but everything I've ever tried in my Acme worked. A new Acme 6001 is under $200 and many friends have found deals on refurbished models w/warranty.

We also own a classic Waring blender and a high powered wide body KitchenAid blender designed for frozen smoothies. Neither one liquifies fruits and vegetables the way I understand Vitamix does; props to Sweetblood and AdventureBob for sharing here the Vitamix H&N c discount. I talked to Vitamix last week (the representative was so helpful and well informed) and soon will have my own machine, my husband lost his R salivary system in February and I want him to benefit from the fiber separated (and in our case, often wasted) when I juice with the Acme.

Between the loss of the salivary glands and the R facial nerve, my husband will need creative food options, and I'm glad to have both the Acme and the Vitamix, I believe they'll both be quite useful in the long term as we phase off the PEG into our 'new normal.' Sometimes a glass of Acme pulp-free carrot ginger juice is just the ticket and for heartier times, the Vitamix option sounds awesome, am looking forward to trying new things when it arrives, whole-leaf kale green blends, soups etc.

Lelia
    If you've been into juicing, I really think you will love the vitamix. If anything should happen to my HealthMaster, I think I will be getting one of those. I'm drinking smoothies once or twice a day and getting in an average of ten servings of fruit and veg a day.

Did they take your husbands salivary gland with a neck dissection and did he have rads? I'm missing my left and between that and my stricture, I'm drinking 50 % of my calories. So smoothies are a staple for me. I'll tell you, I've learned a whole new way of food prep, and eating.