Great to be home

Katielynn
Katielynn Member Posts: 61
Well, things didn't go as planned for me. I did have the robotic surgery, but because of some anatomical problems the doctor was forced to take my left kidney. I was discharged Sat morning. Still quite a bit sore. I have 5 openings from the robotic and a good 4 in incision from where the removed the kidney. I'm trying to walk around the house as much as possible. Deep breathing and lots of water. The doctor's office will call tom. to set up an apt. He said from the looks of the tumor it was malignant. Every doctor that came to see me said I was very lucky to have lower back pain that kept me going back to my doctor or this wouldn't have been found. I was told it's almost too late when other symptoms arise. Thank God...It's been the most frightening 2 months of my life. I'm still apprehensive, it's always in the back of my mind. Hopefully these thoughts will pass, and I'll get an attitude like a lot of people I've come to admire for their strenght and positive attitude. It's going to take time I know and I plan on doing everything right according to my doctors orders. Thanks for the prayers, they obviously were heard...

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Time to enjoy life
    Katielynn,

Now that the surgery is over you will feel a little better each day. In a couple of weeks you will be able to do many of the things you were used to, but only for short periods. In a month or two you will start feeling "normal".

I expect that you will be able to help me with the newcomers down the road. They sure start scared when the first words from the doctor are Kidney Cancer and Surgery. Hopefully you will fully recover with only those nuisance tests in the future.

Best Wishes

Icemantoo
  • lindagsjsn
    lindagsjsn Member Posts: 3
    Kidney removal
    Hi I recently too went through the robotic surgery. I had my right kideney removed, and it was cancerous. I dont know your whole history but I had my surgery in Feb and I am feeling worse every day. I think they damaged a nerve in my back or hip or leg because I always numb and now have to go and see a neurologist. I still het weird pains in the same area as before. I am also afraid of recuring cancer, They said that it was contained and I dont have to go back until one year, but there is always that fear. They couldnt save my kidney because of where the tumor was so they had to take the whole thing. I am exhausted constantly so now I am gettin worried, I hope you feel better and May God be with you. I know what you are going through and I would never want to go through that again LINDA
  • Jamie1.3cm
    Jamie1.3cm Member Posts: 188
    Scary thoughts
    Katie, the scary thoughts will pass. You'll feel better week-by-week. It's slow going; good thing it's not a race!

Your experience sounds like my appendectomy, when they tried for 4 hours to get it laproscopically, but that sucker wouldn't budge, so they had to go in with the big slice. Thus, I had both the punctures and the incision. Booo! But, now, they're just life stories. : )

I'm glad you listened to your body when you had the lower back pain.

Now, you can expect some follow up routine ct scans in your future. No big deal, just periodic check ups. And the docs will just stay tuned for anything else you might need. It's good to be monitored. If I weren't being closely monitored for my other disease, they never would have found my kidney tumor.
  • candoredo
    candoredo Member Posts: 44
    Great to be home
    Katielynn, I am glad you are home and recovering, my little monster was found from having an MRI for another problem as well. I have been lucky so far to have a great surgeon. I am scheduled for Thursday morning the 9th of June, It will be an open surgery too. Deep breathing and lots of water help keep things going. Good luck with your recovery. The bad memories will fade over time and you will only have good thoughts. keep the apt for testing. Stay possitive and keep your spirits high.