Flexeril for Painful Joints

CountryGal7557
CountryGal7557 Member Posts: 164 Member
Have found relief after almost 9 months of limping around due to ankles that were locked tight every morning. Bloodwork confirmed it wasn't rhumatoid arthritis or lupus or Fybramyalga, so I was referred to a Rhumatologist to discuss other possibilities & after hearing me describe when my ankles would be locked tight vs the bone pain, she prescribed Flexeril. 10mg 1/2 hr before bedtime. By day 3 I woke up almost pain free! the minor pain of achy joints I can live with!!! this is my new normal!

Flexeril relaxed the tendons muscles that were tightening up around my ankles to "protect" them. So most of us are complaining about painful achy joints, pain in the bone, when in fact it could be the muscles tendons that are tightening up around your ankle and knees too.

Most posts I've seen on achy joints suggest taking Aleve 2x/day. my pain was so bad, this didn't help at all.

has anyone else tried Flexeril?
Thanks
janelle

Comments

• dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Me
    I take it every night. Couldn't live without it.

Glad to know you are feeling better.

Beth
  • CountryGal7557
    dixiegirl said:

Me
    I take it every night. Couldn't live without it.

Glad to know you are feeling better.

Beth

I am feeling so much better!
    Thanks Beth! I am feeling so much better after getting a restful nights sleep AND waking without locked ankles is so amazing. the little aches and pains I have now I can live with! this could be my new norm. just hope the fatigue & chemobrain improve over time.
    =)

How are things a week later for you?
    Hugs!
    Janelle
  • JoanieP
    JoanieP Member Posts: 573
    janelle
    Hi
    I find that if I stand in the hottest shower in the morning that I can stand on my shoulders and back and hands, it really helps. I also went off my statin. I know , it is miserable to be achy,
  • CountryGal7557
    JoanieP said:

janelle
    Hi
    I find that if I stand in the hottest shower in the morning that I can stand on my shoulders and back and hands, it really helps. I also went off my statin. I know , it is miserable to be achy,

Statin?
    Joanie, what is Statin? so you're not taking anything and the hot shower in the morning is warming up your muscules so that they are not achy? Thanks Janelle
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member

Statin?
    Joanie, what is Statin? so you're not taking anything and the hot shower in the morning is warming up your muscules so that they are not achy? Thanks Janelle

Heating pad...
    Hi Janelle,
    I know it sounds simplistic, but what has really worked for me on joint pain and achey muscles, is my old faithful heating pad. Seems like if I just warm up the achey spots bothering me, I will get immediate relief. Cold weather really bothers me since having chemo treatments, where as before, it didn't bother me a bit. Something else I've started using... Heat Wraps..(Therma Care). If you get the kind for neck and shoulders you can also use them on your knees and ankles...(you just have to get creative). I've even used them on my hips, but had to use a little duct tape in order to attach it closer to the skin. Like I said...creativity helps, and when I'm in pain, I can get VERY creative..ha! I don't like the "Icy Hot" products...the icy part irritates me and I don't like smelling like medicine. Maybe some of my tricks could help...never hurts to share idea's. Love ya...Sue
    (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • CountryGal7557
    allmost60 said:

Heating pad...
    Hi Janelle,
    I know it sounds simplistic, but what has really worked for me on joint pain and achey muscles, is my old faithful heating pad. Seems like if I just warm up the achey spots bothering me, I will get immediate relief. Cold weather really bothers me since having chemo treatments, where as before, it didn't bother me a bit. Something else I've started using... Heat Wraps..(Therma Care). If you get the kind for neck and shoulders you can also use them on your knees and ankles...(you just have to get creative). I've even used them on my hips, but had to use a little duct tape in order to attach it closer to the skin. Like I said...creativity helps, and when I'm in pain, I can get VERY creative..ha! I don't like the "Icy Hot" products...the icy part irritates me and I don't like smelling like medicine. Maybe some of my tricks could help...never hurts to share idea's. Love ya...Sue
    (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

Good Idea!
    Thanks Sue, I will dig out the good old heating pad....didn't even think of that! I'll check into the Therma Care heat wraps for neck & shoulders too. Thanks so much! Janelle =)
  • JoanieP
    JoanieP Member Posts: 573

Good Idea!
    Thanks Sue, I will dig out the good old heating pad....didn't even think of that! I'll check into the Therma Care heat wraps for neck & shoulders too. Thanks so much! Janelle =)

I agree
    Hi Janelle,
    I agree with Sue. My heating pad stays under my pillow all the time. I use it everytime I get an ache somewhere which is very often. Janelle, a statin is used for high chloresterol. (sp) If the electric heating pad doesn't get all the spots I use those bags you get from Bed, Bath and Beyond or Linen Barn (in Florida) and put them in the microwave. They are great!!! It really helps me. Hope it works for you also
  • CountryGal7557
    JoanieP said:

I agree
    Hi Janelle,
    I agree with Sue. My heating pad stays under my pillow all the time. I use it everytime I get an ache somewhere which is very often. Janelle, a statin is used for high chloresterol. (sp) If the electric heating pad doesn't get all the spots I use those bags you get from Bed, Bath and Beyond or Linen Barn (in Florida) and put them in the microwave. They are great!!! It really helps me. Hope it works for you also

microwave heating pad
    Thanks Joanie, I have a microwave heating pad that I got from Swanson Health Products (my employer) =) I forgot I had that! (blaming that on chemobrain)

I am so glad you gals helped me out with tips/ideas as I had suffered all winter (cold was worth) and now the aches are tolerable with Flexeril, plus the weather is nice. Next winter we'll see what happens and now I will be ready!!

thanks again Ladies!
    Janelle =)