At the hospital

Options
arndog64
arndog64 Member Posts: 537
We are at the hospital. Took my husband in last night. He was running a fever (101.0). They admitted him and said his white blood cell are really low. Waiting for the oncologist to come in.
«1

Comments

  • rush1958
    rush1958 Member Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hospital
    My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    It is one year ago today that I was checked into the hospital for four days because of treatment complications. Nausea, dehydration and fever..... I know how you feel, but it is going to get better!

    Rush
  • jeepman
    jeepman Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Prayers and thoughts to you guys
    You did the right thing by taking him in. It will get better soon. Let us know when he gets out of the hospital.

    Mike
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options
    Positive thoughts and prayers...
    Sending positive thoughts and prayers that everything will be fine soon.
  • palmyrafan
    palmyrafan Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Hospital
    Will keep your husband in my thoughts and prayers. Hope the oncologist is able to help him quickly.

    Teresa
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Prayers
    Keeping you both in prayers
    Hondo
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Fever
    I had high fevers a few times also, mine stemmed mainly from the Amifostine around the 30 of 35 days during rads.

    Always good to play it safe on the fever...100.5 seems to be the majic number to call in on.

    Have they presribed anything to help with the blood counts? The following Monday after each week of my nine weeks of the big three (Cisplatin, Taxotere and 5FU), I would go in for hydration, but they also injected me with Neulasta. It's an expensive injection, but the purpose is to help generate blood counts.

    It someohow reacts or goes into the bone marrow. I felt like I had the flu for a few days, large bones hurt and ached.

    I know my counts got down to around 2.0 or 1.9 somewhere in there, but managed to make it through on schedule.

    Anyways, hope all is well and he's feeling better...

    Hydration is key also, I made the mistake of getting slightly de-hdrated once...and only once.

    Best,
    John
  • arndog64
    arndog64 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

    Fever
    I had high fevers a few times also, mine stemmed mainly from the Amifostine around the 30 of 35 days during rads.

    Always good to play it safe on the fever...100.5 seems to be the majic number to call in on.

    Have they presribed anything to help with the blood counts? The following Monday after each week of my nine weeks of the big three (Cisplatin, Taxotere and 5FU), I would go in for hydration, but they also injected me with Neulasta. It's an expensive injection, but the purpose is to help generate blood counts.

    It someohow reacts or goes into the bone marrow. I felt like I had the flu for a few days, large bones hurt and ached.

    I know my counts got down to around 2.0 or 1.9 somewhere in there, but managed to make it through on schedule.

    Anyways, hope all is well and he's feeling better...

    Hydration is key also, I made the mistake of getting slightly de-hdrated once...and only once.

    Best,
    John

    He's feeling pretty bad.
    He's feeling pretty bad. They just took him off for a cat scan of the chest to make sure he does not have a chest infection. They are also giving him the meds to up his white blood cell count. Hope everything comes back ok.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    arndog64 said:

    He's feeling pretty bad.
    He's feeling pretty bad. They just took him off for a cat scan of the chest to make sure he does not have a chest infection. They are also giving him the meds to up his white blood cell count. Hope everything comes back ok.

    Be Positive
    I'm sure it's all going to work out....

    He's in the best possible place right now if he is having some issues...

    They'll take good care of him and get him back home with you feeling better in no time.

    Best,
    John
  • KareGiver
    KareGiver Member Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

    Be Positive
    I'm sure it's all going to work out....

    He's in the best possible place right now if he is having some issues...

    They'll take good care of him and get him back home with you feeling better in no time.

    Best,
    John

    Thinking of you
    I know this is scary but he will get through this...Take care - both of you!
  • arndog64
    arndog64 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    KareGiver said:

    Thinking of you
    I know this is scary but he will get through this...Take care - both of you!

    Thanks everyone.. I believe
    Thanks everyone.. I believe he will be fine.. Just needs some meds and fluids. He is really grouchy!!!!!LOL
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    arndog64 said:

    Thanks everyone.. I believe
    Thanks everyone.. I believe he will be fine.. Just needs some meds and fluids. He is really grouchy!!!!!LOL

    Been There
    LOL, that goes with the territory...

    When I was in treatment, I wanted my wife home when she could (we both work)...but quiet, LOL...

    I once grouched at her for making too much noise taking forks from the drawer. Worse thing about it, she was fixing my dinner...LOL, she set me straight though.

    Best,
    John
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    arndog64 said:

    Thanks everyone.. I believe
    Thanks everyone.. I believe he will be fine.. Just needs some meds and fluids. He is really grouchy!!!!!LOL

    Fluids
    Fluids are the amazing help, keep getting them and seems like you feel better each time. Always smart to use the meds if they are available(the doctor's are willing to give them too you). Prayers for fast relief of pain, rest and doctors help.

    John

    Oh ya.... from experience Grouchy is part of the treatment!
  • mxmom293
    mxmom293 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    fisrpotpe said:

    Fluids
    Fluids are the amazing help, keep getting them and seems like you feel better each time. Always smart to use the meds if they are available(the doctor's are willing to give them too you). Prayers for fast relief of pain, rest and doctors help.

    John

    Oh ya.... from experience Grouchy is part of the treatment!

    my thoughts and prayers are
    my thoughts and prayers are with both of you...
  • arndog64
    arndog64 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    mxmom293 said:

    my thoughts and prayers are
    my thoughts and prayers are with both of you...

    Still not feeling well.
    Still not feeling well. Fever is gone and they are done giving him antibiotics and the stuff to help boost his white blood cells. Now they are waiting to see how he does for the next 24 hours.
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Options
    arndog64 said:

    Still not feeling well.
    Still not feeling well. Fever is gone and they are done giving him antibiotics and the stuff to help boost his white blood cells. Now they are waiting to see how he does for the next 24 hours.

    Update
    Thank you for keeping us updated, I will continue to keep you both in my prayers.
  • arndog64
    arndog64 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Glenna M said:

    Update
    Thank you for keeping us updated, I will continue to keep you both in my prayers.

    I know this is a big debate
    I know this is a big debate with some people. BUT, my husband has not had any food/protein/shakes for the last 4-5 days. No bowel movement for 5-6 days. I know he is done with treatment and he still can't eat. Pills get stuck in his throat. He mentioned that it may be too late in the game for a feeding tube and then he said it's for the weak. I looked at him and said it's not for the weak. It's for people who are sick. Plus, I said you are going to take forever to heal if you are not eating.
  • Goalie
    Goalie Member Posts: 184
    Options
    arndog64 said:

    I know this is a big debate
    I know this is a big debate with some people. BUT, my husband has not had any food/protein/shakes for the last 4-5 days. No bowel movement for 5-6 days. I know he is done with treatment and he still can't eat. Pills get stuck in his throat. He mentioned that it may be too late in the game for a feeding tube and then he said it's for the weak. I looked at him and said it's not for the weak. It's for people who are sick. Plus, I said you are going to take forever to heal if you are not eating.

    Well, it is possible to go
    Well, it is possible to go that long without "food" if you are getting hydration but it is very bad. Essentially, your body will eat itself. I know. Mine did.

    It may well be too late in the game for a tube. As I said elsewhere, whether this will help or not, it will only do so in a few days and he has to make it there. At the hospital they can hook him up and "feed" him through IV. At least he would be getting some of the necessary nutrients.

    Then maybe he would be strong enough for the tube. People know that they don't come any more skeptical of the "tubes for everyone" idea than I am. But I do believe in tubes when needed and it is better to have one and save a life than not. As you say, he is now sick and not just weak.

    My wife, DrMary, wil tell you about the importance of the bowel movement. In fact, being constipated will cause one to back up and feel even more sick at the sight or thought of food. I know this as well. Get your doctors/nurses to make sure this isn't the case for your husband.

    We are pulling for him as he comes into the home stretch. Doug
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    arndog64 said:

    I know this is a big debate
    I know this is a big debate with some people. BUT, my husband has not had any food/protein/shakes for the last 4-5 days. No bowel movement for 5-6 days. I know he is done with treatment and he still can't eat. Pills get stuck in his throat. He mentioned that it may be too late in the game for a feeding tube and then he said it's for the weak. I looked at him and said it's not for the weak. It's for people who are sick. Plus, I said you are going to take forever to heal if you are not eating.

    Never too late
    I don't think it's ever too late....but the real problem or concern that needs addressing is why he isn't eating.

    Stands to reason that if he doesn't eat or drink, he's not going to have bowel movements....he's setting himself up for a much worse time than he needs to endure....

    If he's still at the hospital, I'm sure he's getting hydration...that's a biggie. With that he'll survive...

    But without using his throat muscles he can actually get to a point that even after he's OK, he can't swallow...PEG would be a way of life.

    He really needs to get whatever his real problems are under control...

    Sorry to be so blunt, but I don't know any other way to say it.

    As for pills, dry dissolving them in water...he can't tatse anyways, so that's not an issue, or getting liquid form pain meds, like liquid hydrocodone, etc...the thick numbing solutions.

    Weak, he is weak...if he's not eating or taking in much nutrients, if he isn't weak now, it's just around the corner.

    Communicate with the MD's..they will help in everyway that they can...but he needs to take that help and use it.

    Best,
    John
  • arndog64
    arndog64 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

    Never too late
    I don't think it's ever too late....but the real problem or concern that needs addressing is why he isn't eating.

    Stands to reason that if he doesn't eat or drink, he's not going to have bowel movements....he's setting himself up for a much worse time than he needs to endure....

    If he's still at the hospital, I'm sure he's getting hydration...that's a biggie. With that he'll survive...

    But without using his throat muscles he can actually get to a point that even after he's OK, he can't swallow...PEG would be a way of life.

    He really needs to get whatever his real problems are under control...

    Sorry to be so blunt, but I don't know any other way to say it.

    As for pills, dry dissolving them in water...he can't tatse anyways, so that's not an issue, or getting liquid form pain meds, like liquid hydrocodone, etc...the thick numbing solutions.

    Weak, he is weak...if he's not eating or taking in much nutrients, if he isn't weak now, it's just around the corner.

    Communicate with the MD's..they will help in everyway that they can...but he needs to take that help and use it.

    Best,
    John

    I agree with everything you
    I agree with everything you just said. I beleive the reason he is not eating is because everything hurts. He said sitting pain is at 4 but when swallowing he is 8. He took a bite of mashed taters the other night and it hurt his tongue so bad, he did not take another bite. I beleive he is weak. He said he gets winded walkingto the restroom in our house. He is stubborn and thinks he is being a sissy if shows any sign weakness. I swear you men and your egos..LMAO!!!
  • Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    arndog64 said:

    I agree with everything you
    I agree with everything you just said. I beleive the reason he is not eating is because everything hurts. He said sitting pain is at 4 but when swallowing he is 8. He took a bite of mashed taters the other night and it hurt his tongue so bad, he did not take another bite. I beleive he is weak. He said he gets winded walkingto the restroom in our house. He is stubborn and thinks he is being a sissy if shows any sign weakness. I swear you men and your egos..LMAO!!!

    and I agree with you
    If it causes so much pain that he is not eating, liquid pain medication and the Fentanyl patch should be helpful. Unfortunately, these pain meds can make a person so drowsy it is difficult to eat, diminish any appetite they do have and lead to constipation.

    Pain control is primary. Get with the doctors about that. Ask for their opinion about the patch. It was wonderful for my husband and he had no problem getting off it when the time came.

    Swallowing and exercising those muscles is important.

    PEG - not sure why anyone would think it is too late now. And if he means "weak" in the sense of being a sissy, who wouldn't be a sissy when they can't eat real food?

    Sometimes wives have to push issues: now is the time, arndog. My husband likes to be in charge of everything but when it came to getting what he needed when he needed it, that was my department.

    Hugs - I know how hard this, arndog.

    Thank you for updating us on how things are going.