Psychological effects of chemo?

BioAdoptMom
BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
I am wondering 3 things. I realize everyone is different but I guess I am asking in general.

1. Is the following psych response normal or should I talk with my nurse or doctor?
2. Do these feelings go away, or are they here to stay forever?
3. Can I get past these things while I am still in chemo? If so, how?

What seems to be happening is that everything I previously liked which I have used, eaten, done, etc. during chemo or right after when I am in a state of exhaustion, queasiness, itchy rash, pain from Neulasta, etc. now has a very negative connotation. I don't even like to get into bed now unless I have taken something to relax me because I associate bed with that irritable tired feeling I have on day two. I look at my favorite fleece blanket that I have taken to chemo, and want nothing to do with it. I want nothing to do with strawberry smoothies because I had them everyday for a week after my first treatment. Our younger son and his GF gave me an iPod and I am afraid to load my favorites onto it and take it to chemo for obvious reasons now. Is this normal or have I gone off the deep end?

Thanks!

Nancy

Comments

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Hey
    Nancy,

I didn't have chemo, but while I was waiting on the OncotypeDx results to find out if I would or wouldn't be having chemo, I read a book, I think it was something like "Just Let Me Get Through This," something like that, and she said don't take anything you care about to chemo because it will end up making you feel sick and/or you'll hate it later.

Hope that helps.

xoxo
    Victoria
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    aisling8 said:

Hey
    Nancy,

I didn't have chemo, but while I was waiting on the OncotypeDx results to find out if I would or wouldn't be having chemo, I read a book, I think it was something like "Just Let Me Get Through This," something like that, and she said don't take anything you care about to chemo because it will end up making you feel sick and/or you'll hate it later.

Hope that helps.

xoxo
    Victoria

I didn't have that effect
    but I will tell you that I can't stand the cracker barrel now nor do I ever want another baked potatoe, both of which I loved before chemo. I had too much of both during chemo. I hope things get better for you real soon. I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time. I'm sending you big cyber hugs.

Dawne
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Chemo
    Hi Nancy,

For me everything had a cycle. Finished chemo 5 weeks ago tomorrow and now doing rads. During chemo I would be craving something, tuna for breakfast, chocolate milk all of the time, vienna sausages??!!!, yogurt, salmon,slushes from Sonic, and then I would be done with it. Leaving 12 cans of tuna in the cabinet or a gallon of choc. milk to go sour in the fridge. I just ate and drank what I craved and didn't sweat it, even though some of the stuff I HAD to have I hadn't had for 30 years and didn't really like. Music doesn't have negative chemo vibes for me and EVERYTHING smelled bad so I don't hold that against my favorite lotions, etc. and I can use them now. I am hoping that chemo is a lot like labor and delivery and will just fade over time so it is a fuzzy memory, seems to be happening already.

Hoping that for you those negative feelings will ease, and if they don't, maybe some new bedding or a new lamp, or something like that can switch it all up so you can at least rest easier. Heaven knows we all need as much rest as we can get during this battle.

Good luck,

Jennifer

P.S. it all sounds very normal to me
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    mostly smells
    Nancy,
    Mostly the smells of things remind me of chemo still and I have a little trouble with some. Foods I ate I still eat. The music, I don't think that will always remind you of chemo if you have other memories associated with it.
    You have not gone off the deep end. Or maybe you have but it is to be expected. For me Tuesdays were my favorite day. I had chemo on Wednesdays and always felt my best on Tuesday! I thought I would always hate Wednesdays but I don't.

Cindy
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Talk to your Dr
    Have not had those feelings at all! For me - everything that was important before DX and TX
    is even more important today. Depression has not been a problem for me. Talk to your DRs.
    Susan
  • wndringmnd
    wndringmnd Member Posts: 44
    Normal
    Hi Nancy,
    I thought I was nuts. I am in radiation now, having finished chemo about 3 weeks ago, and am beginning to feel better psychologically, but I did talk to a psych. and was put on a antidepression pill as well as an anti-anxiety pill but prior to that I craved foods, and after chemo was over I couldn't stand them, During chemo I couldn't sleep in my own bed for weeks,I slept on the couch for weeks and then only within the last few weeks am I starting to in small increments.. I don't want to smell my favorite flowers, and the list goes on. some of the things have gotten better and some have not. I am trying to not over think it.there are enough other things to worry about. As many things things as there are that I don't like any more there seem to be new things that I want to try, which is pretty cool. I hope this helps.

Marilyn
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member

Normal
    Hi Nancy,
    I thought I was nuts. I am in radiation now, having finished chemo about 3 weeks ago, and am beginning to feel better psychologically, but I did talk to a psych. and was put on a antidepression pill as well as an anti-anxiety pill but prior to that I craved foods, and after chemo was over I couldn't stand them, During chemo I couldn't sleep in my own bed for weeks,I slept on the couch for weeks and then only within the last few weeks am I starting to in small increments.. I don't want to smell my favorite flowers, and the list goes on. some of the things have gotten better and some have not. I am trying to not over think it.there are enough other things to worry about. As many things things as there are that I don't like any more there seem to be new things that I want to try, which is pretty cool. I hope this helps.

Marilyn

I read
    In a book i had that the hospital gave me "Breast Cancer Treatment Book" it actually said not to eat things that you really liked because when the chemo was over it would turn you against the foods that you ate when you where on the chemo.I am going to paint my bedroom over once i get to feeling some better i can't stand to be in there now because of laying in there sick.I really don't want any reminders of that time I put the fleece blanket up also. good luck. MOLLYZ
  • Arabrab
    Arabrab Member Posts: 8
    Bad memories
    I am just beginning chemo, a week ago. I am hungry all the time and am relishing the fact I feel like eating. I never thought these positive things might turn into some negative things. While reading people's comments, I was reminded of when I lost my son eleven years ago. The day I drove home from work was burned into my memory. The songs on the radio were burned inti my memory. Seeing a police car gave me major anxiety attacks. When I went back to work I would park my car in a different direction so I would head home on a different path. Then I decided I had fallen off that horse for the last time. I was going to get back on him and change things. I drove the same way every day. I listened to the same songs. I stared at police cars as they drove beside me. I went to favorite places I had gone with my son. I built up a whole new set of memories with those same ones that hurt me. I'm thinking that might be what will have to happen with you. When you are feeling better, start eating a food you once loved but now have negative memories with. Build up slowly and change the way you eat it. Make a happy memory to connect to. I learned that time does heal. It's an ugly process that has to be traveled. You will come out on top and will begin to see new joys and pleasures and hopefully forget the negative ones. My heart goes out you.
  • Arabrab
    Arabrab Member Posts: 8
    Bad memories
    I am just beginning chemo, a week ago. I am hungry all the time and am relishing the fact I feel like eating. I never thought these positive things might turn into some negative things. While reading people's comments, I was reminded of when I lost my son eleven years ago. The day I drove home from work was burned into my memory. The songs on the radio were burned inti my memory. Seeing a police car gave me major anxiety attacks. When I went back to work I would park my car in a different direction so I would head home on a different path. Then I decided I had fallen off that horse for the last time. I was going to get back on him and change things. I drove the same way every day. I listened to the same songs. I stared at police cars as they drove beside me. I went to favorite places I had gone with my son. I built up a whole new set of memories with those same ones that hurt me. I'm thinking that might be what will have to happen with you. When you are feeling better, start eating a food you once loved but now have negative memories with. Build up slowly and change the way you eat it. Make a happy memory to connect to. I learned that time does heal. It's an ugly process that has to be traveled. You will come out on top and will begin to see new joys and pleasures and hopefully forget the negative ones. My heart goes out you.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Nancy
    I don't think you are nuts. I wore certain sweats to radiation, now that is what I see when I look at them. Foods that I liked before chemo, have no taste now. Music was not an issue as my boys loaded all my favorites and that is the one thing that has nothing to do with chemo, just soothing!
    I associate one with the other also, and I don't think I am nuts:) Others may, but that is okay too! I found out after my first bout with chemo, that all of this fades. So I am relying on it fading this time also!
    Good luck to you, and talk to your doctor maybe they have a way to get past this faster!
    How funny that someone else mentioned the chocolate milk, that, Kraft mac and cheese, and Big Macs are the things that I crave this time. I have always loved fish and now just the thought of it makes me queasy. Funny how this works.
    ~Carol
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    camul said:

Nancy
    I don't think you are nuts. I wore certain sweats to radiation, now that is what I see when I look at them. Foods that I liked before chemo, have no taste now. Music was not an issue as my boys loaded all my favorites and that is the one thing that has nothing to do with chemo, just soothing!
    I associate one with the other also, and I don't think I am nuts:) Others may, but that is okay too! I found out after my first bout with chemo, that all of this fades. So I am relying on it fading this time also!
    Good luck to you, and talk to your doctor maybe they have a way to get past this faster!
    How funny that someone else mentioned the chocolate milk, that, Kraft mac and cheese, and Big Macs are the things that I crave this time. I have always loved fish and now just the thought of it makes me queasy. Funny how this works.
    ~Carol

I think i am nuts, as my
    I think i am nuts, as my first time i drank a lot of root beer when i was nauseated and I still love it. This time I ate mango smoothies and chicken sandwiches and chicken noodle soup from panera and I still love them. I took my ipod in it helped me block out the environment and relax. However I still get anxious when I sit int he chair. I never react to things the way one would think though LOL
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    carkris said:

I think i am nuts, as my
    I think i am nuts, as my first time i drank a lot of root beer when i was nauseated and I still love it. This time I ate mango smoothies and chicken sandwiches and chicken noodle soup from panera and I still love them. I took my ipod in it helped me block out the environment and relax. However I still get anxious when I sit int he chair. I never react to things the way one would think though LOL

Seems pretty normal to me
    Chemo is yucky and things associated with it have that yuck factor. I;ve been eating popsicles during chemo as I was told they help prevent mouth sores, can;t stand the idea of the them now and used to like them. Raspberry lemonade or any Kool Aid looking type drink reminds me of that horrible looking red medicine they have been pushing into my body. Literally makes me feel sick to see them and brings a wave of chemo type feelings.

I;m hoping these feelings will fade in time. My last scheduled chemo is this Friday and I hope I will not have to do any more after surgery!

Laura
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    aisling8 said:

Hey
    Nancy,

Hope that helps.

xoxo
    Victoria

I didn't have chemo either
    I didn't have chemo either Nancy, but, I am praying that you will get thru it with no side effects.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    camul said:

Nancy
    ~Carol

No chemo for me, but, I
    No chemo for me, but, I still think I suffer from just plain old cancer brain. My memory isn't as good as it was before my diagnosis and a few other things. But considering all that we have to go thru, I just count my blessings.

Good luck to you,

Leeza