OK to shave (as opposed to buzz) hair?

Options
ender
ender Member Posts: 167
Hi everyone,

I'd say I have about 50% of the hair on my head left. It started coming out on day 14 (Tuesday this week). I fear that when I shower today much more will come out, perhaps making what is left to little to keep. I don't own a machine to buzz the hair with. Id rather not go to the hairdresser to buzz it. I have a pixie cut as it is. Has anyone shaved their head with a razor. Is that a bad idea?

Eva

Comments

• Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options
    Risk of Infection?
    If you cut yourself, you might be at increased risk of infection and your scalp may be easily irritated and sensitive. Just a thought; not scientifically proven or anything. Any electric razors lying around the house?

Bob
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hubby said:

Risk of Infection?
    If you cut yourself, you might be at increased risk of infection and your scalp may be easily irritated and sensitive. Just a thought; not scientifically proven or anything. Any electric razors lying around the house?

Bob

I've been told no razors, so
    I've been told no razors, so I would stick to the buzz. My DIL is a hair dresser she buzzed mine with no guard so its pretty close to being "razored" of course most of it is gone totally now..... again.....

Good Luck!!!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I...
    Had mine buzzed first...when it started to fall out I shaved it...but you have to shave it in different directions...as that's how your hair grows..
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Razor v. Electric Shaver
    Hi Eva,

I was told during chemo NOT to use a razor blade under any circumstances. That would include on my head, legs or underarms. I was told an electric razor/shaver was the way to go. I believe the theory is that there is a greater risk of cutting yourself with a razor blade and thus of getting an infection. During chemo it is much more difficult to heal from any kind of infection. I got a cold during chemo and it took 2 months to get rid of it. Is there someone you know who could lend you a buzzing tool on a one time only basis?

IRENE
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Options

I've been told no razors, so
    I've been told no razors, so I would stick to the buzz. My DIL is a hair dresser she buzzed mine with no guard so its pretty close to being "razored" of course most of it is gone totally now..... again.....

Good Luck!!!

I Love your picture
    Pinkflutterby:

Haven't been here for a while; I LOVE YOUR PROFILE pic!!!
  • ender
    ender Member Posts: 167
    Options

Razor v. Electric Shaver
    Hi Eva,

I was told during chemo NOT to use a razor blade under any circumstances. That would include on my head, legs or underarms. I was told an electric razor/shaver was the way to go. I believe the theory is that there is a greater risk of cutting yourself with a razor blade and thus of getting an infection. During chemo it is much more difficult to heal from any kind of infection. I got a cold during chemo and it took 2 months to get rid of it. Is there someone you know who could lend you a buzzing tool on a one time only basis?

IRENE

Thanks for the replies guys!
    Thanks for the replies guys! I thought about buzzing it today as
    my husband was getting a cut with our hairdresser. But my hair still looks normal to strangers who don't know that my hair is usually much thicker. So I'm happy for each additional normal day I can get. Maybe I will just let it fall by itself. I did not think about the infection risk. I shaved under my arms once (and now it's not coming back). Was not told to take any particular precautions, but your comments of course make perfect sense.

Thanks & Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

Eva
  • Punkindo
    Punkindo Member Posts: 113
    Options
    I tried to shave my head
    I tried to shave my head, but it didn't work as easy as I thought it would. I trimed my hair as short as I could with scissors first, and used a good brand of razor, but it didn't do a good job and I definately did not get the Kojac look I was expecting. I ended up going to my hair dresser and she buzzed it with the clippers which worked way better and was a lot faster too....
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I had very short hair when I
    I had very short hair when I was diagnosed, then had it cut in a "boy cut" before chemo, so there wasn't much anyway. When it started coming out by the handfuls with no discomfort, I pulled most of it out...seemed like mad scientist experiment or something. I used my husband's electric razor for the rest without any negative consequence. When it came back in unevenly I gave myself a "burr" cut till it got thick enough to look "normal". This is another one of those decisions each person has to make for herself based on what you are most comfortable with, I think.

Hey, at least we are still here to discuss it! seof