Has anyone been on Eribulin?

Options
camul
camul Member Posts: 2,537
Part of my new protocol. I am being taken off of Tamoxifen and Abraxane, and will now be on this new chemo along with one of the anti aromatases. Was suppose to start it today but it will be tomorrow as it didn't make it into the shipment. I am apprehensive to say the least as I am the first in this office to be on this drug.
Would love any info.
~Carol

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know anything
    Sorry, I don't know anything about it. Is it used for other cancers too? Maybe someone on another board will be familiar with it? I hope the side effects are much less than you expect, and (more important, IMHO)that it is effective!

Hugs,

Linda
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Eribulin
    Hi Carol,

Eribulin is an anticancer drug marketed by Eisai Co.(headquartered in Tokyo) under the trade name Halaven. Eribulin mesylate was only approved by the U.S. FDA on November 15, 2010, to treat patients with metastatic breast cancer who have received at least two prior chemotherapy regimens for late-stage disease, including both anthracycline (ie. Adriamycin and Ellence) and taxane-based chemotherapies (ie. Taxol and Taxotere). I wouldn't imagine that you will find too many people who have already been given this drug since it is so very new. Eribulin is also being investigated by Eisai Co. for use in a variety of other solid tumors, including non-small cell lung cancer, prostate cancer and sarcoma.

Here is a link to the FDA's press announcement when the drug was approved last year.
    http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm233863.htm

I am so sorry that you are having to go through all of this. I hope this info has been of some help to. My thoughts are with you.

IRENE
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Carol
    sorry, I haven't heard of it. Sure hope it works for you though!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • camul
    Options

Eribulin
    Hi Carol,

Eribulin is an anticancer drug marketed by Eisai Co.(headquartered in Tokyo) under the trade name Halaven. Eribulin mesylate was only approved by the U.S. FDA on November 15, 2010, to treat patients with metastatic breast cancer who have received at least two prior chemotherapy regimens for late-stage disease, including both anthracycline (ie. Adriamycin and Ellence) and taxane-based chemotherapies (ie. Taxol and Taxotere). I wouldn't imagine that you will find too many people who have already been given this drug since it is so very new. Eribulin is also being investigated by Eisai Co. for use in a variety of other solid tumors, including non-small cell lung cancer, prostate cancer and sarcoma.

Here is a link to the FDA's press announcement when the drug was approved last year.
    http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm233863.htm

I am so sorry that you are having to go through all of this. I hope this info has been of some help to. My thoughts are with you.

IRENE

Thanks for the information
    Thanks for the information Irene, I had this information, but I have found that it is sometimes more informational to hear from real people rather from the pharmaceuticals printed material.
    I too am hoping that this one works. It was a bit of work for my onco to get it approved with my insurance and I was hoping to get practical advice from someone else who may have been on it. I am at the point where my onco is trying anything that has any possibility of slowing it down. So far nothing is working but I am remaining hopeful!
  • camul
    Options

Sorry, I don't know anything
    Sorry, I don't know anything about it. Is it used for other cancers too? Maybe someone on another board will be familiar with it? I hope the side effects are much less than you expect, and (more important, IMHO)that it is effective!

Hugs,

Linda

Thanks Linda, you are always
    Thanks Linda, you are always to positive and supportive. My options are getting less and less, but at least I still have an option:)
    ~Carol
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Carol
    {{hugs}} Char

Carol...
    Wishing you the very best as you start this new drug...

We're not with you physically, but you know "we are with you"...in our thoughts, hearts and prayers...for all we can do to help you through thiis, yet another hurtle....

My best to you and a big 'ole cyber hug to you! (((())))
    Nancy

Keep us posted...
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Carol...

We're not with you physically, but you know "we are with you"...in our thoughts, hearts and prayers...for all we can do to help you through thiis, yet another hurtle....

Nancy

Keep us posted...

Never heard of it
    Sorry, Carol, but I'm afraid you're going to have to be OUR expert on the effects of Eribulin. My little hopeful brain thinks that since it's been approved for use in breast cancer, it will do the trick and put you back into remission, because it must have already worked for others!

Best of luck with this "new" chemo.

Suzanne
  • camul
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Carol
    {{hugs}} Char

Thanks Char! I guess I will
    Thanks Char! I guess I will be the newbie for this drug!
  • camul
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Carol
    {{hugs}} Char

Had the chemo today.
    Thanks for responding. It was a little different. My infusion nurse was able to get my port unclogged with a med that works the same as draino on a pipe. She put it in and it had to sit. After about 45 minutes it worked, yahoo! I was dreading a new port.
    Then it was a flush of saline, 15 minute infusion of anti-nausea something, then the chemo took 1 minute. It was 3mg of the eribulin. Then a flush of saline followed by 2 vials of herceptin. So hopefully will not have to deal with a clogged port again.

She said that the side effects wouldn't be felt for 3-5 days probably. I thought this is good! Got home and was exhausted (from the anticipation I am sure). Woke up about 5 and though I was going to die, the pain in my legs was like the extreme pain from Zometa. Thankfully, unlike the Zometa, pain med's helped. The gas and nausea is an issue, but unless it gets worse, I can handle all of it.

So glad that this drug was approved! Not giving up, this on WILL work!
    Thanks again for being supportive.
    Carol
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    camul said:

Had the chemo today.
    Thanks for responding. It was a little different. My infusion nurse was able to get my port unclogged with a med that works the same as draino on a pipe. She put it in and it had to sit. After about 45 minutes it worked, yahoo! I was dreading a new port.
    Then it was a flush of saline, 15 minute infusion of anti-nausea something, then the chemo took 1 minute. It was 3mg of the eribulin. Then a flush of saline followed by 2 vials of herceptin. So hopefully will not have to deal with a clogged port again.

She said that the side effects wouldn't be felt for 3-5 days probably. I thought this is good! Got home and was exhausted (from the anticipation I am sure). Woke up about 5 and though I was going to die, the pain in my legs was like the extreme pain from Zometa. Thankfully, unlike the Zometa, pain med's helped. The gas and nausea is an issue, but unless it gets worse, I can handle all of it.

Carol

Carol
    Glad you got through it but se sound awful. Hope the pain in the legs goes away. Sometimes I feel like my whole body is in pain )-:
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    camul said:

Had the chemo today.

Carol

Thanks for the update, I'm
    Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear it's tolerable so far.

It sure sounds like you went through a lot for 3 mg...that must be one powerful drug. My best wishes for you, and your in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Hugs,

Linda
  • eag011
    eag011 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Camul
    Camul

I'm on Eribulin. Just started and praying that it works. I've been able to tolerate it much better than I did Adriamycin. Please let me know how you're feeling...know you're in my prayers. My onco also has me on 2.5 mg Femarin as well.

Elizabeth
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    camul said:

Thanks Linda, you are always
    Thanks Linda, you are always to positive and supportive. My options are getting less and less, but at least I still have an option:)
    ~Carol

I wish I knew something
    I wish I knew something about the drug Carol, but, I don't. What I do know is that I am sending positive thoughts, hugs and lots of prayers to you.

Lex
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    MAJW said:

Carol...

Nancy

Keep us posted...

I am praying this new drug
    I am praying this new drug will work for you Carol!

Hugs, Leeza