Any kind of financial help for international ovca patients???

Options
hopenepal9
hopenepal9 Member Posts: 5
Hello all

My mom was just diagnosed with ovca. She lives in Nepal, Southeast Asia. I am the youngest daughter and I have been living in the US for 8 years.
Her doctor has asked her to come coming Thursday to discuss about staging of her cancer and the treatment options.

I have asked my sister who lives in Nepal to send me all the reports so that I can have a 2nd opinion from doctors over here.
I was wondering what is the cost of cancer treatment if I were to bring my mom here.She will not have any insurance. Also, is there any financial assistance/charity available in the US for international cancer patients?
Is there anyone who comes to the US for the cancer treatment??

Thanks so much in advance!!!
Dikshya

Comments

• Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Dikshya....I really don't
    Dikshya....I really don't have much to offer in the way of information, but I did not want you to think you were being ignored.

Most large teaching hospitals have charity care, but I think you would have to contact them individually.

I don't know if Medicaid is available to non-citizens. Cancer treatment is very expensive. The hospital bill from my debulking surgery was $75,000. My year of Taxol maintenance was $55,000. My first line treatment was about the same.

Carlene
  • hopenepal9
    hopenepal9 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Dikshya....I really don't
    Dikshya....I really don't have much to offer in the way of information, but I did not want you to think you were being ignored.

Most large teaching hospitals have charity care, but I think you would have to contact them individually.

I don't know if Medicaid is available to non-citizens. Cancer treatment is very expensive. The hospital bill from my debulking surgery was $75,000. My year of Taxol maintenance was $55,000. My first line treatment was about the same.

Carlene

Thanks Carlene.

Thanks Carlene.
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

Thanks Carlene.

Thanks Carlene.

Maybe you can contact the cancer society
    I am sure they can lead you in the right direction..I hope your mom can come here to US. It would be great for you to be with her. Good luck...val
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Hi Dikshya,
    I am sorry to be so late to respond, I some how missed your post. I live in Japan and have had 3 surgeries in the State. I don't have insurance in the US and had to pay cash. The hospital I used was one my doctor had surgical privileges at, and was a Catholic hospital, so they gave me a good rate. THat being said, it was still very expensive!
    I hope that it goes well for your mom,
    kathleen