Returning to work

laurael
laurael Member Posts: 4
Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to handle work? It seems as if because I can no longer do the amount of work / put in the time I did before the cancer diagnosis that I have now become a liability instead of an asset. I was placed on an action plan the very day that I returned to work after being off for 7 weeks and now I feel the expectations are so overwelming that I dread going to work. I want to say to them Hey I wasn't here for 7 weeks and I am still going through treatment and just cut me a break....... I feel like I am going to lose my job. Do we have to lose our jobs because we have cancer? Thank you!

Comments

• Dear Laurael...
    I have 'bumped up' a thread that may be helpful to you. Please look for "Problem with work/job...put on probation and need advise" it has a plethora of information.
  • laurael
    laurael Member Posts: 4

Dear Laurael...
    I have 'bumped up' a thread that may be helpful to you. Please look for "Problem with work/job...put on probation and need advise" it has a plethora of information.

Thank you so much! I so
    Thank you so much! I so appreciate all your help!
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    laurael said:

Thank you so much! I so
    Thank you so much! I so appreciate all your help!

Laurael I am so sorry...
    I am one of the fortunate ones who works for a wonderful man. We are a small business just he and I. So I am his right hand (wo)man and I know just about everything about the business. This is great for him because it allows him vacation opportunities. He has been very gracious to work around my treatment schedule. I've gone through chemo, surgery and am currently doing radiation. I keep him informed on my next step or procedure and we work out a game plan. So far it's been working out. I do have to confess though I was back at work one week after my double mastectomy, I work on the computer most days.

I believe you would have some rights, did you take a Family Medical Leave absence? In my opinion it should almost be treated like "when our soldiers take a leave of absence because of being deployed overseas for military action." I am so sorry you are feeling added stress especially at a time when you really don't need it.

Hang in there.. maybe because it's all new it's overwhelming. Once you settle in, things might run smoother and you might be happy with the new change. In the meantime I'll send my prayers your way.

Best wishes,
    Lorrie
  • poplolly
    poplolly Member Posts: 346
    Laurel,
    I've heard that some

Laurel,

I've heard that some companies do discriminate. What better way to do it than what is happening to you. It's totally infuriating that someone would do this. Maybe you have some legal recourse in terms of discrimination.
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    poplolly said:

Laurel,
    I've heard that some

Laurel,

I've heard that some companies do discriminate. What better way to do it than what is happening to you. It's totally infuriating that someone would do this. Maybe you have some legal recourse in terms of discrimination.

Yes... you do have recourse...
    Check with your HR dept. If you're on a Family Medical Leave (FMLA) your employement is protected. You also have the right to disability after exhusting your sick leave, which also allows for protection. Your best move is to work with your HR benefits dept for your protected benefits.

Wishing You the best!!!
    Mitzi ;0)
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    union
    If your company has a union, it may be time to use that resource also. I go back and forth as to whether or not unions are a good thing, but they tend to step up when an employee needs them.

Good luck on your return to work!

Cindy