For those of you who had lumpectomies - anyone have wire localization done the day before?

Options
2»

Comments

• MarleneElla
    MarleneElla Member Posts: 22
    Options

Mine was done on the ground
    Mine was done on the ground floor of the hospital in the nuclear medicine department at 10 AM, prior to my 1:30 PM surgery. I cannot imagine it being done the day before and having to go home that way, UGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!! Good luck to your friend, and prayers for her!

Nancy

Wire
    Same day for me as well. I was given lidocaine jelly to numb my nipple before I went in. The 4 injections around my nipple didn't bother me at all. It was more of a HELLO than an OUCH! I think since I had gooped so much of the jelly on my breast when they did the wire localization that didn't hurt either. I'd also be willing to bet the pain has something to do with the location and depth.
    I was prepared for the worst and then it ended up not so bad. So while it may sound horrible I'd suggest she set her expectations for the worst case scenario!
  • sinee
    sinee Member Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi, I thought the same thing
    Hi, I thought the same thing and I was so wrong, I imagined having this wire hanging out of me. No, it doesn't happen that way, the wire goes in at time of surgery, she will never see it, it is for the surgeon and not to worry. I made myself all worried for nothing~the day before is a snap. So was surgery, I never felt a thing...hehehe. she will be ok.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    missrenee said:

Mine was done the day before
    I went to my surgeon's office, he used some Lidocaine and inserted 3 wires (very, very small in diameter) to localize the area using ultrasound. He also injected the dye. Did it hurt--like hell!!!!! I remember squeezing the nurse's hand so hard that she had my nail prints in her. Then they put tape over the wires and I went to the mammo room to do a mammo on that breast to make sure the wires were in the proper place.

I walked back into the waiting room where my husband was and said, "Well, that was gruelling!" I hope your friend has an easier experience.

Hugs, Renee

So you really had the wires inserted the day before the surgery, then went home with them in you all night? What about the pain, Lidocaine just doesn't last that long -- did they give you pain meds for the night?

Traci
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    sinee said:

Hi, I thought the same thing
    Hi, I thought the same thing and I was so wrong, I imagined having this wire hanging out of me. No, it doesn't happen that way, the wire goes in at time of surgery, she will never see it, it is for the surgeon and not to worry. I made myself all worried for nothing~the day before is a snap. So was surgery, I never felt a thing...hehehe. she will be ok.

Hi Traci
    Yes, I had them put in the day before in the surgeon's office. They taped it all up and I went home to have surgery the next day. Honestly, I can't remember too much pain that evening. It was just creepy to think they were in me. As I said, even with the Lidocaine, the procedure was incredibly painful--maybe because mine was so deep--right up against the chest wall. I could only shower from the waist down. My surgeon's explanation was that it was easier (probably for him!) to do it this way so that he could do a quick mammo and u/s to make sure they were placed exactly right. Funny thing is--after going through all that--the first surgery did not get me clean margins!!! I had to have a re-excision 10 days later. Go figure!

Hugs, Renee
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    missrenee said:

Hi Traci
    Yes, I had them put in the day before in the surgeon's office. They taped it all up and I went home to have surgery the next day. Honestly, I can't remember too much pain that evening. It was just creepy to think they were in me. As I said, even with the Lidocaine, the procedure was incredibly painful--maybe because mine was so deep--right up against the chest wall. I could only shower from the waist down. My surgeon's explanation was that it was easier (probably for him!) to do it this way so that he could do a quick mammo and u/s to make sure they were placed exactly right. Funny thing is--after going through all that--the first surgery did not get me clean margins!!! I had to have a re-excision 10 days later. Go figure!

Hugs, Renee

Thanks very much, Renee
    As everyone else said, I was really thinking my friend totally misunderstood her surgeon about doing the wire localization the day before, so it's really helpful to know it may be done that way after all. But yes -- creepy!

Traci
  • kellyr
    kellyr Member Posts: 1
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Thanks very much, Renee
    As everyone else said, I was really thinking my friend totally misunderstood her surgeon about doing the wire localization the day before, so it's really helpful to know it may be done that way after all. But yes -- creepy!

Traci

I had my dye injections the
    I had my dye injections the day before - used lidocaine cream before the shots - did not feel the prick just the dye - slightly painful. I had my wire localizations done at 11am - guided by mammogram, which was uncomfortable. They put the needles in and then wires - pulled the needles, taped me up and then went to hospital for 2 pm surgery. never felt the wires but don't think the lidocaine had worn off.
  • Corinna11
    Corinna11 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    No, I had the needle in both
    No, I had the needle in both my breasts and the sentinel node injections the morning of my surgery. My wires were circled close to my breasts and then they were covered with a dressing. I suppose it may be ok for her if she was very careful at home. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just do it the same day though...