Finally...Good News

So my StepDad went to the hospital and after getting the GI Scope they found that the sphincter between the stomach and intestines needed to be stretched. The first, smaller scope opened it a little, then the DR used a larger one to open it more. He will go back in 2 weeks for a repeat stretch. Since the Scope he has not gotten sick one time, he has not spit up constantly and he can eat!!!! Woohoo!!!!

Also, there is great improvement on his eye. He can almost keep it open all the way and the vision is improving.

Last week I really thought he wasn't going to make it. I thank God every day for helping him through this. He looks and feels so much better. It has been 13 months since his diagnosis and he is still fighting strong. He is an inspiration.

Thank everyone for all the prayers and positive thoughts. As you are all in mine.

Jen

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • ShootingStar
    ShootingStar Member Posts: 15
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Back on the Roller Coaster
    He had 10 brain radiation treatments, 25 seconds on each side. We do notice small things he forgets now, but nothing major. I've talked to Mom about stopping the treatments and going on Hospice, but John wants to continue to fight and he feels if he stops treatments he is giving up. I don't know how to respond, you have to respect the mans wishes. It just kills me the suffering our loved ones have to go through.

He felt better for a couple days after the "stretching", but then the fatigue and coughing up started again. He said it really takes it out of him to cough up that junk. The Dietician says Mom is doing great with his nutrition, but he just keeps losing muscle. He is so weak.

The Doctors want him to be a DNR, but Mom & John freak out and do not want that at all. Again, I don't know how to respond. How do you keep the fight up and stop the chemo? How do you keep the fight up and make yourself a DNR?? I feel the same as John I think. If you stop all this, are you just waiting to die? I know they talk about quality of life, but if he is still strong enough to fight, shouldn't we be strong enough to fight with him?

Also, he got his second chemo treatment today. 2 hours every 2 weeks.

Please tell Sherri thank you for her wisdom.

And always William, thank you for your kind words.

Jen
  • ecourtney
    ecourtney Member Posts: 39

Back on the Roller Coaster
    He had 10 brain radiation treatments, 25 seconds on each side. We do notice small things he forgets now, but nothing major. I've talked to Mom about stopping the treatments and going on Hospice, but John wants to continue to fight and he feels if he stops treatments he is giving up. I don't know how to respond, you have to respect the mans wishes. It just kills me the suffering our loved ones have to go through.

He felt better for a couple days after the "stretching", but then the fatigue and coughing up started again. He said it really takes it out of him to cough up that junk. The Dietician says Mom is doing great with his nutrition, but he just keeps losing muscle. He is so weak.

The Doctors want him to be a DNR, but Mom & John freak out and do not want that at all. Again, I don't know how to respond. How do you keep the fight up and stop the chemo? How do you keep the fight up and make yourself a DNR?? I feel the same as John I think. If you stop all this, are you just waiting to die? I know they talk about quality of life, but if he is still strong enough to fight, shouldn't we be strong enough to fight with him?

Also, he got his second chemo treatment today. 2 hours every 2 weeks.

Please tell Sherri thank you for her wisdom.

And always William, thank you for your kind words.

Jen

WHEN AND HOW TO FIGHT
    Dear Jen,
    Having just lost my brother Peter I know exactly how you feel. He and I were a great team challenging each other about how to take the fight forward. His last words to me in a fairly weakened condition in the hospice were "let me go" He knew we had taken the fight as far as we could and he may have been concerned that I might push beyond the point where he had made his peace and was ready to go.Sometimes I think that the more positive and determined we are in our daily outlook the more likely we are to continue to take on the challenges without thinking that we may have crossed that point. 99% of the time it is right to be positive and determined but sometimes knowing when to stop and to listen closely to what the doctors are actually saying is best.In my case this allowed us to have Peter to share his thoughts individually with family and friends for which they will be eternally grateful and Peter also gained great comfort from this.
    My prayers and thoughts are with you
    E Coutney