bruise from surgery 6 months ago

jendrey
jendrey Member Posts: 377
I had expander exchanged for implant surgery back in November and I've have a large purple bruise ever since. I realize that some bruising is to be expected and can last for some time. But for 6 months?

This does nothing to enhance the look of the reconstructed breast. Especially with that scar located right above it. The scar? Oh,..it seems that one of the doctors--I don't know which one--got to close to the surface of my skin while using a cauterizing tool during the mastectomy. It got terribly infected and when my drains were removed fluid then began oozing from this wound as an outlet causing a secondary infection.

Weeks later, I finally had to have two stitches put in that resembled Frankenstein stitches, so that bizarre scar along with the big purple bruise right below it really adds to the overall look.

Guess Im just venting..it's so unfair that they won't even tell me which dr did it. It's not like I could do anything about it anyway so why not tell me?!! I feel like telling 'em hey look it's not like the scar is going to ever, ever, go away so just own up to it already. I'm the one that has to live with it. Grrrr...

Anyhow, anyone have a bruise that's lasted for 6 months and counting?
And thanks for 'listening' to my rant. =)

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Have...
    Have you asked your surgeon what this is? Sounds like a hematoma but not sure if they last this long...I had one after my biopsy that my surgeon drained before my lumpectomy....I'd have it looked at and demand an explination...get it checked out....

Let us know..
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    MAJW said:

Have...
    Have you asked your surgeon what this is? Sounds like a hematoma but not sure if they last this long...I had one after my biopsy that my surgeon drained before my lumpectomy....I'd have it looked at and demand an explination...get it checked out....

Let us know..

I actually did ask my PS about it. Whenever I cannot quickly remember what any dr has said to my question it's usually because they didn't truly answer my question. I can't remember anything other than being told that 'it sometimes happens.' I think I accepted this as an answer because the implant will be replaced soon anyway as it isn't working out. Just in case, then if I still have long lasting bruising...thought I'd ask now!

If that makes any sense! lol =)
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jendrey said:

I actually did ask my PS about it. Whenever I cannot quickly remember what any dr has said to my question it's usually because they didn't truly answer my question. I can't remember anything other than being told that 'it sometimes happens.' I think I accepted this as an answer because the implant will be replaced soon anyway as it isn't working out. Just in case, then if I still have long lasting bruising...thought I'd ask now!

If that makes any sense! lol =)

Jendrey .. Please ... get this into your surgeon's office
    this week! 6 months and counting - sounds a little odd. Please be your own Health Advocate, and do not allow any 'Doctor' to give you the brush off!! Huff and Puff until all your questions are answered -- and if you are given the brush off -- find another DOCTOR. Ouch, you poor thing.

Strength and Courage ..

Vicki Sam