Eye toruble; falling trouble

Evergreen0521
Evergreen0521 Member Posts: 1
Hi all. Just found you today, and boy, can I ask questions! About a thousand, but I'll leave it at two. Into my third chemo session of four, and having serious eye problems. I am an avid reader so it is problematic, but even in general I experience tearing, burning, blurry vision. Anyone else? Any panaceas(beside the obvious one)?
Also, I fall periodically. I tripped (not dizzy-just stupid flipflops now in closet,) but I tripped on the concrete sidewalks of Brooklyn for the second time this month.I didn't get hurt, but now I'm scared to even walk downstairs. Oh, yeah, right: going up steps is sheer torture for my legs-terrible cramping.I have to stop and let them uncramp.
Okay, my list can go on, but enough for this newbie.Any input will be gratefully received.

Comments

• skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Some issues
    I some issues with tearing on Taxotere but not blurry and was still able to read, thank goodness. I know some people have more problems with this than others. I uesed artificial tears and an OTC drop for itchy eyes (Zaditor) that my optomitrist suggested for allergy season. Check with you onc. before using anything though, some are pretty strict about this!

Sending prayers that this issue resolves for you!!!
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Hello Evergreen,
    I will repeat a common phrase I see posted often, "welcome to the board we are glad you found us but sorry you have to be here".

With that said, we all have different reactions and side effects from our chemo. I personally never experienced vision troubles but I do remember my eyes feeling dry and often very tired. Tired eyes can cause vision problems especially when it comes to reading. Ask any woman wearing bifocals, when your eyes are tired those bifocals don't seem to work as good.

Chemo takes a toll on our legs and joints, I am hoping your balance issues are due to this and not something more serious. Either way make sure you let your oncologist know, because maybe your treatments or dosage might need to be altered.

We love to answer questions so don't be shy and ask away. I've learned so much in just the couple of months that I've been here.

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Eyes..
    The eye problems you are experiencing go along with chemo...with each person it can be different...my eyes watered, burned , etc....due to not having eyelashes....I read passionately during chemo, read 9 books in 3 months....but, I couldn't read for long....I would put the book down and rest....this subsided once chemo was over...

The falling problem....have no clue..I never experienced this...you should mention it to your oncologist..I never had leg cramps....aches and pains in the legs but no cramps...mention any and all side effects to your oncologist...

Wishing you a good day
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    MAJW said:

Eyes..
    The eye problems you are experiencing go along with chemo...with each person it can be different...my eyes watered, burned , etc....due to not having eyelashes....I read passionately during chemo, read 9 books in 3 months....but, I couldn't read for long....I would put the book down and rest....this subsided once chemo was over...

The falling problem....have no clue..I never experienced this...you should mention it to your oncologist..I never had leg cramps....aches and pains in the legs but no cramps...mention any and all side effects to your oncologist...

Wishing you a good day

Hi Evergreen
    Yes, my eyes watered like crazy during chemo--made it very hard to read or watch tv. My nose was also running like a faucet. It all did subside after chemo. I really don't have a remedy for you--I just put up with it and always keep tissues with me.

As for the falling--though I didn't fall--I was very clumsy and bumped into things alot. My coordination seemed off--maybe that's what is going on with you also. Just be careful and try to move a little more slowly.

Good luck to you on your journey.

Hugs, Renee
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    For me - on A/C my eyes ran
    For me - on A/C my eyes ran like a spigot was turned on (nose too) but not with Taxol. OTC moisturizing drops help a lot - don't remember which worked best for me but then we're each different so different ones work better fos some than others.

The tripping - talk to your Dr about that. May be early neuropathy. The cramping could be low K (potassium). I didn't have any problems with it on A/C but about 1/2 way through Taxol my blood work showed low K so I went on OTC K pills. Didn't have any cramping then but stopped taking them after Taxol was over. A short while later I started having leg/ankle/foot cramping and my K was very low so since then I've been on mega doses of K and as long as I remember to take them I have no cramping and levels stay within normal. If I forget to take for a few days (I'm bad about forgetting to take pills other than my Femara and that I've never forgotten in close to 1 1/2 years) - cramps come back - go back on mega K and they leave so I'm getting better about remembering to take them. DO NOT JUST START TAKING K without talking to your DRs - too much can cause problems too!

Susan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    missrenee said:

Hi Evergreen
    Yes, my eyes watered like crazy during chemo--made it very hard to read or watch tv. My nose was also running like a faucet. It all did subside after chemo. I really don't have a remedy for you--I just put up with it and always keep tissues with me.

As for the falling--though I didn't fall--I was very clumsy and bumped into things alot. My coordination seemed off--maybe that's what is going on with you also. Just be careful and try to move a little more slowly.

Good luck to you on your journey.

Hugs, Renee

Very much like Miss Renee .. I experience
    extreme tearing, and my nose dripped all day and night. Side effort subsided about 3 months after my Herceptin (1 year) chemo finished. I found these side effort horrific, as they were present for 15 months - every day, didn't matter what the time of year.

Please check with your Oncologist to see if there is anything he/she can prescribe for the tearing eyes. Weakness from the chemo, I understand .. falling is a bit scary. Again, please check with your doctor .. Maybe, your chemo doses are too strong for your body to tolerate.

Hoping and praying for you.

Strength and Courage.

Vicki Sam
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Rague said:

For me - on A/C my eyes ran
    For me - on A/C my eyes ran like a spigot was turned on (nose too) but not with Taxol. OTC moisturizing drops help a lot - don't remember which worked best for me but then we're each different so different ones work better fos some than others.

The tripping - talk to your Dr about that. May be early neuropathy. The cramping could be low K (potassium). I didn't have any problems with it on A/C but about 1/2 way through Taxol my blood work showed low K so I went on OTC K pills. Didn't have any cramping then but stopped taking them after Taxol was over. A short while later I started having leg/ankle/foot cramping and my K was very low so since then I've been on mega doses of K and as long as I remember to take them I have no cramping and levels stay within normal. If I forget to take for a few days (I'm bad about forgetting to take pills other than my Femara and that I've never forgotten in close to 1 1/2 years) - cramps come back - go back on mega K and they leave so I'm getting better about remembering to take them. DO NOT JUST START TAKING K without talking to your DRs - too much can cause problems too!

Susan

I am sorry Evergreen, I forgot to welcome YOU
    to our wonderful Sisterhood of Warriors! We are a group of Kindred Spirits here for you and others, 24 hours a day - 7 days a week.

Hope, Happiness and Peace.

Vicki Sam
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Welcome
    Hi Evergreen,
    You came to the right place. I can't tell you how many times I went on this board with a question and someone had just asked it and there were answers galore to help me out!

My eyes bothered me all the way through and after chemo. Sometimes they were so dry at night I could barely peel them open! Dry eye makes your eyes water and blur too so that's all part of it. My eye doctor recommended Systane (over the counter) for the dry eye. He told me to use it every hour for a week to start and then every 2 hours after that. This helped immensely! And I only got this advice after chemo ended so I am passing it on to you to use during chemo. Hopefully, it will help relieve some of your symptoms now.
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    And the falling
    I was also very dizzy during the chemo, not sure why but it got better when the chemo ended. Hope this helps.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Welcome to the world of wisdom:)
    This board has been a Godsend, can't tell you how much stress and worry has been relieved by reading posts and asking questions.
    Now to answer your questions, yes I have watery eyes, running nose and my legs go out from time to time and I go down! Dr. says cramping and leg fatigue is from the chemo. I avoid steps at all costs! I noticed that it has been when I am tired. I also went and got new glasses about 2 months after starting chemo, needed a new prescription.
    Good luck on everything.
    ~Carol