Avastin

poplolly
poplolly Member Posts: 346
Here's a question. A friend of mine has a breast tumor attached to her chest wall. She is getting two different opinions on what to do. One doctor has had her on chemo trying to shrink the tumor so they can operate and get behind it to get it all out. Now another doctor is saying he wants her to try Avastin. Have any of you taken that? She is worried about the side-effects and whether it will do any good.

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Avastin
    Avastin was approved for treating breast cancer in 2008 by the FDA. It was based on one clinical trial in patients with metastatic HER2-negative breast cancer that found a benefit in terms of cancer recurrence -- but not overall survival -- and was contingent on further data to confirm the results. Follow-up studies failed to confirm a survival benefit, which led to the FDA's unusual move in December 2010 to rescind that approval for breast cancer patients - but not for other indications such as glioblastoma, colorectal cancer, kidney cancer and lung cancer. A new study provided more evidence that the anti-cancer medication ups the odds of congestive heart failure in breast cancer patients. The study was published online on 1/4/2011 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology. There is a lot of information available on the subject. Hope this is of some help. IRENE
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Avastin...
    Was pulled by the FDA as a chemo treatment for bc, last year...because it didn't provide the results that was thought, that is, extending the life of the person receiving it, for bc....Avastin is usually used as a last treatment option for cancer...I believe it is used in lung cancer though as a main treatment...small cell, I believe...my best friend was on Avastin for 7 months for terminal brain cancer...she passed away 2 months ago...it was basically given to her for what is known as " palliative care"...bought her time ..also now that the FDA has pulled as a chemo drug for bc, her insurance probably won't cover the cost...and I know for a fact that it is mucho expensive...

I wish your friend well...and since she's had two opinions, if I were her, I'd seek a third....the tie breaker...
    Best wishes to you, both
    Ps...my friend had a glioblastoma stage IV
  • poplolly

Avastin
    Avastin was approved for treating breast cancer in 2008 by the FDA. It was based on one clinical trial in patients with metastatic HER2-negative breast cancer that found a benefit in terms of cancer recurrence -- but not overall survival -- and was contingent on further data to confirm the results. Follow-up studies failed to confirm a survival benefit, which led to the FDA's unusual move in December 2010 to rescind that approval for breast cancer patients - but not for other indications such as glioblastoma, colorectal cancer, kidney cancer and lung cancer. A new study provided more evidence that the anti-cancer medication ups the odds of congestive heart failure in breast cancer patients. The study was published online on 1/4/2011 in the Journal of Clinical Oncology. There is a lot of information available on the subject. Hope this is of some help. IRENE

Thanks Jessie for that info.
    Thanks Jessie for that info.
  • poplolly
    MAJW said:

Avastin...
    Was pulled by the FDA as a chemo treatment for bc, last year...because it didn't provide the results that was thought, that is, extending the life of the person receiving it, for bc....Avastin is usually used as a last treatment option for cancer...I believe it is used in lung cancer though as a main treatment...small cell, I believe...my best friend was on Avastin for 7 months for terminal brain cancer...she passed away 2 months ago...it was basically given to her for what is known as " palliative care"...bought her time ..also now that the FDA has pulled as a chemo drug for bc, her insurance probably won't cover the cost...and I know for a fact that it is mucho expensive...

I wish your friend well...and since she's had two opinions, if I were her, I'd seek a third....the tie breaker...
    Best wishes to you, both
    Ps...my friend had a glioblastoma stage IV

MAJW-I agree. She needs to
    MAJW-I agree. She needs to get a third opinion. Thanks for the info.