Options
2»

Comments

• micgrace
    micgrace Member Posts: 131
    Options
    megmacmd said:

Newly diagnosed
    Hello I am a 56 year old female( unfortunately a doctor, pediatrician so I know this is not good)I have stage 3 esophageal cancer lower and upper diaphram nodes pelihilar and intraabdominal) In the last 5 years I have buried and hospiced my Dad from bladder cancer, My mom and older sister from breast cancer pretty daunting. But worst was in the midst my solemate from high school husband of 30 years had a cerebral anuresym and dropped dead 3 years ago.I have 3 great children my goal is to get my youngest through college. he is a 2nd year at University of Virginia. My girls are good to go finished college and good jobs. Iam still working have decided not to have surgery risks are way worse than benfits and I dont have anyone to take care of me.From what I read the outcomes are pretty equal and less hospitalized time with just chemo I am otherwise very healthy and think I will just take my chances with chemo. I believe in quality vs quantity of life so far no bad side effect i can swallow again after 6 rounds and no pain.AM pretty overwhelmed since I have no idea how long Ihave 6months 6 years no call on this one very random so one day at a time. Virginia beach is great this time of years lots of parks and outdoor spaces.Any advise sage wisdom would be helpful and welcomed Meg Mac

quality of life
    I know my uncle refused ops and went for radiation and chemo instead. He is still very lucid although he has to strain to say anything now. His mind is still incredibly sharp. I suppose that gives a good quality of life and he has survived from December last year so far. For me if I had it I would go for the chemo and rads. unless the surgery provided an immediate advantage.