Options
2»

Comments

• Suzie-Q-Z
    Suzie-Q-Z Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Hey Julie,
    I was one of the lucky ones, my hair didn't completely fall out. I did buzz it short though. I wore mostly baseball caps when I went out. Also, if you go to www.franceluxe.com. In the upper right hand corner click on "Good Wishes". That will tell you how to get a beautiful silk head wrap or scarf. I loved mine.

xoxo,
    Jean

scarf
    You didn't mention the france luxe scarf would be free. I love mine!
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

I hated the wig!!
    Like you, I tried the wig a few times and just roasted every time that I wore it. Eventually, I stocked up on baseball hats of various colors. About a month after my final treatment, I had a full covering of my own hair again and just went topless. There really is an end to all of this and the good thing is that your showers are a lot shorter for quite a while.... :>)

The funny thing is that once my treatment ended, I held a garage sale and the first things to sell were my wig and all my hats!! Go figure...

Take Care
    April Cregg

A picture is worth a thousand words
    Check out my Expressions page. Three pictures posted, taken today.

I did not have a wig during chemo. Afterall, it was only temporary, right? So here I am 8 months after my last infusion and although I do have some hair and it's growing, I still cannot go out without a headcover of some sort. And this is probably as good as it's going to get for me, but time will tell. I finally bought a wig and I'm so very happy now. It's lightweight and very comfortable. And most of all, I feel normal.

During treatments, I was perfectly happy with scarves and hats. I was comfortable and I actually felt rather glamorous in some of my scarves. My favorites: Titillating Turbans (www.titillatingturbans.com) and Beaubeaus (www.4women.com). For hats www.headcovers.com.

It's all a very personal what we do to cover our bald heads - or not.

Suzanne
  • Suzie-Q-Z
    Suzie-Q-Z Member Posts: 40
    Options
    most comfortable in scarves
    I too got a wig but find myself only wearing it for church. I don't want to draw attention to myself. Funny thing is, I don't think it looks like me at all but after I'd already been wearing it a long time I had a few ladies tell me that they "love the new cut" or "my husband commented on your new do, I didn't tell him it wasn't yours". Most of the people who we see don't know us and don't know it's not real. I choose my head wear according to the comfort of others mostly to tell the truth. Around home I'm mostly topless, at work I wear scarves. All winter I wore knit or fleece hats. Bandanna's are inexpensive but I have gone to the fabric store and about 1/2 yard is enough to wrap around and tie at the base of your neck with a little tail, feels like the swing omy my long hair which I miss. Kids are a funny thing, when I was really bald they were uncomfortable but now that I have stubble they kind of like it. Their friends have always been cool abouth the whole thing, no uncomfortable looks (they are teens) and odly, lots of support. I think we have to give people credit for understanding that the bald head or short hair means she probably has/had cancer and they get it. Thanks to so much education, people understand what you are going through when they see the head coverings. I can be the only "odd head" in a crowd and look for those sideways glances and they aren't happening. Good luck and have fun with it.
  • Arabrab
    Arabrab Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Wigs
    I wanted my hair stylist to shave my head on Friday's appointment, but he said no. He said to wait until it falls out and he will shave it for free. He cut it very short. I thought I would wear my wig home but didn't. I love my own hair. I begin chemo tomorrow and am told my hair will fall out in a week. I have another wig that is arriving on Tuesday. It is short and my hair color. I don't know if I will be able to wear it either, though. My sister is going to make me a bunch of cloth hats that tie in the back. I think I will have to bite the bullet and wear them. If you put a hat on while at home, then when your son takes off, you don't have to worry. I know I will be sweating in a room that is in the low 60's. I'm thinking after the first few days of wearing a wig, you and I might be used to it. I do know there aren't many other choices. Judging by your picture, you are a beautiful woman. I would slap that wig on, put some bold lip color on, some sparkling earrings, and a bright blouse over cute jeans. Hold your head up high and embrace what a wonderful mother you are. You have to be strong to be going through this journey while taking care of a young family. I applaud you. I am retired with my husband and have nothing to do unless I want to do it. My husband is home with me. We have the luxury of taking long walks and going to cute cafes for lunch every time we have an appointment.