nipple sharing reconstruction

jendrey
jendrey Member Posts: 377
Has anyone had a nipple sharing reconstruction? Or what do you think about taking half the nipple from the unaffected breast to fashion a nipple for the reconstructed one?

It seems to me that nipple reconstruction is kinda' iffy anyway. Do I really want to take away half of a perfect nipple to make one that may or may not work out...what would the remaining halved nipple look like?

Hmm...

Comments

• csr771
    csr771 Member Posts: 117
    To be or Not to Be Nippled?
    I had my mastectomy in January. I remember my PS saying that nipple sharing was an option post my reconstruction. Since I had to undergo 10 hours of surgery, I will not be doing any further surgery this year. However, I will consider it for next winter some time. I have big nipples so losing half of the remaining one probably wouldn't be a big deal, but is that something that I want to do. I think it is "iffy" surgery as well. I was wondering lately if I wanted to have a nipple replaced at all.
  • jendrey
    csr771 said:

To be or Not to Be Nippled?
    I had my mastectomy in January. I remember my PS saying that nipple sharing was an option post my reconstruction. Since I had to undergo 10 hours of surgery, I will not be doing any further surgery this year. However, I will consider it for next winter some time. I have big nipples so losing half of the remaining one probably wouldn't be a big deal, but is that something that I want to do. I think it is "iffy" surgery as well. I was wondering lately if I wanted to have a nipple replaced at all.

Yeah, maybe my insecurity over it is because I don't have big nipples to begin with. This makes me wonder exactly what I'll be left with on the good side. Especially if the new nipple fails. I guess I really just don't want to authorize another useless procedure. I'm still trying to get over the radiation dr. telling me that my mastectomy wasn't necessary.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jendrey said:

Yeah, maybe my insecurity over it is because I don't have big nipples to begin with. This makes me wonder exactly what I'll be left with on the good side. Especially if the new nipple fails. I guess I really just don't want to authorize another useless procedure. I'm still trying to get over the radiation dr. telling me that my mastectomy wasn't necessary.

I'm right there with the two of you, Sisters in PINK
    Mastectomy 1/12/2010 -- with Tissue expanders.. fills, vacation at the Grand Canyon in April 2010 - invited a Staph infection, 5 days in intensive care, emergency surgery to remove - right TE .. then I spent several months walked around lopsided with 1 fully expanded TE - left, and non existence right breast ... 3rd surgery in 5 months to replace right TE .. fills .. waiting then exchange in late July 2010 (4th surgery)... right breast dropped .. 5th surgery in late September 2010 to prop up right breast the dropped .. so hence my hesitation to do ANYTHING with my breast right now. Just my luck, and history ... I would have issues with nipples ..

Do we know if the nipple reconstruction is performed in doctors office, or during 'surgery'? Does it depend on the doctor? So many questions .. no answers.

Nipple - less,

Vicki sam
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    My nip surgery was a total
    My nip surgery was a total bust. I had a new nipple for about a week then is smoothed right out. I was left with a few smaller scars. I had no desire to mess with my pretty one!! Although when I get cold it could appear that I am winking :)

~Carol
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    camul said:

My nip surgery was a total
    My nip surgery was a total bust. I had a new nipple for about a week then is smoothed right out. I was left with a few smaller scars. I had no desire to mess with my pretty one!! Although when I get cold it could appear that I am winking :)

~Carol

I want to scream .. Are U kidding me,
    Carol .. but I know the answer to that.. I am so sorry, Carol.

Am I correct in assuming that procedure is done while you are under? and does your PS slice open you incisional scar area and pull out tissue to create new nipple? I hope I am not being intrusive.

Gentle hugs,

Vicki Sam
  • deeb111
    deeb111 Member Posts: 141 Member
    i dont know if this helps
    i dont know if this helps but ps took mine off and relocated them higher up after my surgery
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    More Thoughts
    1. Your real nipple = Leave it alone Don't touch or share it or divide it. If your real nipple is sensuous, definitely leave it in tact.

2. A recreated nipple - Better than no nipple, so recreate a new nipple. I don't know if it depends on the skill of your plastic surgeon, or your body, or both. My recreated nipples look great but, of course, they do not have the sensations that the real nipples had. The recreated nipples made the breasts look real, at least in my eyes.

3. If you keep your real nipple whole and recreate a false nipple, you will at least have one good working nipple when you make love.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • csr771
    csr771 Member Posts: 117

More Thoughts
    1. Your real nipple = Leave it alone Don't touch or share it or divide it. If your real nipple is sensuous, definitely leave it in tact.

2. A recreated nipple - Better than no nipple, so recreate a new nipple. I don't know if it depends on the skill of your plastic surgeon, or your body, or both. My recreated nipples look great but, of course, they do not have the sensations that the real nipples had. The recreated nipples made the breasts look real, at least in my eyes.

3. If you keep your real nipple whole and recreate a false nipple, you will at least have one good working nipple when you make love.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle

Sensuality
    I guess that sensuality is something to think about. I have a build-a-boob now and it really doesn't have any feeling in it. Should the opportunity ever present itself again I would enjoy the sensitivity especially given that I only have one natural breast. A build-a-nipple would help with the symmetry especially if I get my real boob tweaked to match the manufactured one. I was wondering though, if they match my real nipple (which is big) will the built one always be erect? I am going to ask my PS the next time I see her. I don't know that I want a nipple that is always "sitting up". It would be embarassing.
  • jendrey
    csr771 said:

Sensuality
    I guess that sensuality is something to think about. I have a build-a-boob now and it really doesn't have any feeling in it. Should the opportunity ever present itself again I would enjoy the sensitivity especially given that I only have one natural breast. A build-a-nipple would help with the symmetry especially if I get my real boob tweaked to match the manufactured one. I was wondering though, if they match my real nipple (which is big) will the built one always be erect? I am going to ask my PS the next time I see her. I don't know that I want a nipple that is always "sitting up". It would be embarassing.

Thank you ladies for the great input!