Options
2»

Comments

• jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    Options
    deeb111 said:

I have a rash on top part
    I have a rash on top part little under almost like acne was told it should go away was told to try benydralnot sure spelled that right but they said it could be allergy so the cream might be called lotrimin i hope you feel better

thinking outside the box
    For pain relief, try spraying some Solarcaine or other '-caine' containing spray usually meant for sunburns. Read the ingredients list; stay away from menthol and eucalyptus ingredients. Spray until dripping, then gently blot up excess from AROUND the area and apply your usual goop. Reapply as needed. Works on moist skin best. You Could use that stuff for sore throats too, but that stuff while it may seem stronger is sticky and just plain icky to deal with. Ditto on Oragel/dental numbing stuff. Do NOT use Neutrogena in the dark blue containers.

Sprays are best. If you have a true medical supplier in your area ask them if they have Hurricane Spray used by EMTs. It's used when intubating people. You could also ask the pharmacy of a hospital. It's not likely that Walgreen's or CVS will carry it.
  • jendrey
    Options
    deeb111 said:

I have a rash on top part
    I have a rash on top part little under almost like acne was told it should go away was told to try benydralnot sure spelled that right but they said it could be allergy so the cream might be called lotrimin i hope you feel better

sorry double post
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    robang13 said:

That's what it sounds like
    That's what it sounds like to me. It is raw as heck under there. When I try to keep it dry it hurts more. It's like every time I move it rips a little. I have been globbing on the neosporin with pain relief and it seems to be helping it a little. I alternate that with the cortisone the doc said to use. I also have Xclair script. It says it's good on 1st and 2nd degree burns. They gave it to me to use on the rest of the breast where it's burnt. Wonder if I should try it there? I can't use Silvadene since I am allergic to sulfa. I now have so many creams and lotions I can start my own pharmacy!! The girls are hanging free : ) first time since I was 18!! I might get used to not wearing a bra by the time this is over! The thought of what a bra would do to this makes me cringe!!

Glad you are getting some
    Glad you are getting some relief! I feel so bad for you. Are you about done with rads?

Sue :)
  • robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Glad you are getting some
    Glad you are getting some relief! I feel so bad for you. Are you about done with rads?

Sue :)

one more week. Hopefully
    one more week. Hopefully after that I can get to the healing part : )
  • robang13
    Options
    jendrey said:

thinking outside the box
    For pain relief, try spraying some Solarcaine or other '-caine' containing spray usually meant for sunburns. Read the ingredients list; stay away from menthol and eucalyptus ingredients. Spray until dripping, then gently blot up excess from AROUND the area and apply your usual goop. Reapply as needed. Works on moist skin best. You Could use that stuff for sore throats too, but that stuff while it may seem stronger is sticky and just plain icky to deal with. Ditto on Oragel/dental numbing stuff. Do NOT use Neutrogena in the dark blue containers.

Sprays are best. If you have a true medical supplier in your area ask them if they have Hurricane Spray used by EMTs. It's used when intubating people. You could also ask the pharmacy of a hospital. It's not likely that Walgreen's or CVS will carry it.

That would work for the top
    That would work for the top part, but underneath is raw. So raw that almost anything burns like crazy. I've found that neosporin with pain relief works best. I apply, wipe off a few hours later and re-aply. 1 more week and I can start healing. The solarcaine would help for the rest of the breast. I look like a burnt tomatoe right now. My daughter cringes when she looks at it. I'm sure there are people who have suffered worse so I am biting my lip and trudging on!!! i will try the solarcaine on the rest tonight. Thanks!!!

Angela
  • jendrey
    Options
    robang13 said:

That would work for the top
    That would work for the top part, but underneath is raw. So raw that almost anything burns like crazy. I've found that neosporin with pain relief works best. I apply, wipe off a few hours later and re-aply. 1 more week and I can start healing. The solarcaine would help for the rest of the breast. I look like a burnt tomatoe right now. My daughter cringes when she looks at it. I'm sure there are people who have suffered worse so I am biting my lip and trudging on!!! i will try the solarcaine on the rest tonight. Thanks!!!

Angela

I'm so sorry you have to endure this. When you're able to begin the healing process you might want to consider using some Aveeno products. They have some really good ones here lately.

http://www.aveeno.com/skincare/products/calamine-pramoxine-hci-anti-itch-cream

In case you're wondering (like I was!), what colloidal oatmeal is...see this description from PubMed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17373175

Angela there may well be people that have suffered worse, but right now it's you who are suffering and you have every right say and do anything to make it better. I think it's safe to say you're among your own kind here!!! =) We so get it.

Hope you feel better soon.
  • Hippiechick58
    Hippiechick58 Member Posts: 320
    Options
    jendrey said:

sorry double post

I have 4 more "boosts" to go
    I have 4 more "boosts" to go and I will be finished! Yaay! I have a horrific burn that not only itches, but is extremely painful. Tried everything. Now using Aquaphor with Lidocaine and Pure Aloe Vera Gel (not the kind you get in CVS) I got mine at GNC. I alternate between the two and go topless at night to dry out. I also got a RX for oxycodone. I take that when it is really really bad. It's good to have on hand. Good luck with your burn and remember, this is only temporary!

Be Well,
    Dianne
  • robang13
    Options

I have 4 more "boosts" to go
    I have 4 more "boosts" to go and I will be finished! Yaay! I have a horrific burn that not only itches, but is extremely painful. Tried everything. Now using Aquaphor with Lidocaine and Pure Aloe Vera Gel (not the kind you get in CVS) I got mine at GNC. I alternate between the two and go topless at night to dry out. I also got a RX for oxycodone. I take that when it is really really bad. It's good to have on hand. Good luck with your burn and remember, this is only temporary!

Be Well,
    Dianne

How are the boosts going? I
    How are the boosts going? I start mine monday! Do you feel any difference between them and the regular rads? I have the lidocaine also. It's like you want to scratch but if you do the pain is horrible!! I wake up all night and put more goop on. I find for the itch the Aveeno concentrate works pretty well. It has the same ingredients the caladryl has plus Aveeno.I use the Aquaphor for the burn, the lidocaine for the pain and the Aveeno for the itch. I alternate constantly. I lay with a pillowcase over my chest so nothing will stick to me. I also have the oxycodone. I have that for my chronic back pain!!

Hope you feel better soon too!!! You are 1 treatment ahead of me!!

ANgela
  • robang13
    Options
    jendrey said:

I'm so sorry you have to endure this. When you're able to begin the healing process you might want to consider using some Aveeno products. They have some really good ones here lately.

http://www.aveeno.com/skincare/products/calamine-pramoxine-hci-anti-itch-cream

In case you're wondering (like I was!), what colloidal oatmeal is...see this description from PubMed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17373175

Angela there may well be people that have suffered worse, but right now it's you who are suffering and you have every right say and do anything to make it better. I think it's safe to say you're among your own kind here!!! =) We so get it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Been using the Aveeno. He 2
    Been using the Aveeno. He 2 different kinds. They are great! I know about the oatmeal too, used it for years for sun poisoning!

Thanks for understanding! It's like I feel bad to be complaining here. After awhile no-one wants to hear you! I have actually stopped talking about it and show them what it looks like instead. Believe me that shuts them up real fast!! Had a few look like they were going to pass out! Pictures are better than a thousand words : )

Thanks for the kind wishes!!
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options
    robang13 said:

How are the boosts going? I
    How are the boosts going? I start mine monday! Do you feel any difference between them and the regular rads? I have the lidocaine also. It's like you want to scratch but if you do the pain is horrible!! I wake up all night and put more goop on. I find for the itch the Aveeno concentrate works pretty well. It has the same ingredients the caladryl has plus Aveeno.I use the Aquaphor for the burn, the lidocaine for the pain and the Aveeno for the itch. I alternate constantly. I lay with a pillowcase over my chest so nothing will stick to me. I also have the oxycodone. I have that for my chronic back pain!!

Hope you feel better soon too!!! You are 1 treatment ahead of me!!

ANgela

Curious about the 'boost' effect too
    What effect do the boosts have? Does just the area being 'boosted' get burned or do the other areas still burn too? I only have 2 'regular' rads left. The skin under the boob area is red, itchy and has a rash, similar to Angela's. I'm hoping that can start to heal during the boosts because the boosts shouldn't hit that area? Is that the case? Thanks for all your help ladies.
  • MarleneElla
    MarleneElla Member Posts: 22
    Options
    NJMom10 said:

What effect do the boosts have? Does just the area being 'boosted' get burned or do the other areas still burn too? I only have 2 'regular' rads left. The skin under the boob area is red, itchy and has a rash, similar to Angela's. I'm hoping that can start to heal during the boosts because the boosts shouldn't hit that area? Is that the case? Thanks for all your help ladies.

Boosts aren't bad
    I've had 3 days of boosts. Started last Thursday. Only 2 days left. Hip hip hooray!
    The radiation amount went from 4500-5500
    I've not noticed any change to the boost area other than some random aches that seem more targeted than before.
    The rest of my skin started improving within 3 days. I was so excited on Saturday, I started to see the red fade a bit and welcome my freckles back!
    I think my energy level is a little better too.
    No weekly x-ray either.
    I've been very pleasantly surprised
    Marlene
  • MarleneElla
    MarleneElla Member Posts: 22
    Options
    NJMom10 said:

Boosts aren't bad
    I've had 3 days of boosts. Started last Thursday. Only 2 days left. Hip hip hooray!
    I've not noticed any change to the boost area other than some random aches that seem more targeted than before.
    The rest of my skin started improving within 3 days. I was so excited on Saturday, I started to see the red fade a bit and welcome my freckles back!
    No weekly x-ray either.
    Marlene
  • robang13
    Options

Boosts aren't bad
    No weekly x-ray either.
    Marlene

Great! Something to look
    Great! Something to look forward to!! Today is my second one. I can't wait to see my normal skin tone again!!

angela
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Options

Boosts aren't bad
    No weekly x-ray either.
    Marlene

What a relief...thanks Marlene
    Such a relief to hear that Marlene. I have 1 regular rad left now and although my skin is just a little itchy and irritable now, I can imagine how it would be if I had to do 8 more boosts to that area! Great to hear that that part of the skin will start to improve. So glad to hear you are almost done too! Won't it be such relief!