Options
2»

Comments

• robang13
    robang13 Member Posts: 333
    Options
    MAJW said:

I had ...
    NO LYMPH node involvement and my rads went entirely under my arm almost to my back...that's ALL BREAST TISSUE......I had a lumpectomy....I asked the RO about radiating so far under the arm...again because it's all breast tissue....
    This is puzzling and fascinating!

Maybe because mine was the
    Maybe because mine was the kind that didn't spread? I was told it was located where it was with no chance of spreading. The radiation was to make sure there weren't any tiny strays still in there. He also said that the radiation was to cut the chances of this coming back as an aggressive cancer in the same breast and or showing up in the other breast by 50%. I had 2 surgeries, clear margins,having rads for 6 and 1/2 weeks and tamoxifen for 5 years, what I was told is standard for what I have. Since mine is located so deeply in the center of my breast under the nipple, going face down gave the radiation more directly. I am having the last 5 days as a boost directly into the tumor site. This whole thing is puzzling to me:)
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    MAJW said:

I had ...
    NO LYMPH node involvement and my rads went entirely under my arm almost to my back...that's ALL BREAST TISSUE......I had a lumpectomy....I asked the RO about radiating so far under the arm...again because it's all breast tissue....
    This is puzzling and fascinating!

I had a lumpectomy and no
    I had a lumpectomy and no node involvement too and my rads went from under my breast to the middle of my chest, up to my collar bone and under my arm as there is breast tissue there and even though my node was negative, the rads oncologist just wanted to be sure to "hit" that area under my arm too.

Never heard of this before.
  • robang13
    Options
    Megan M said:

I had a lumpectomy and no
    I had a lumpectomy and no node involvement too and my rads went from under my breast to the middle of my chest, up to my collar bone and under my arm as there is breast tissue there and even though my node was negative, the rads oncologist just wanted to be sure to "hit" that area under my arm too.

Never heard of this before.

What was your diagnosis?
    What was your diagnosis? Mine is DCIS stage 0. I am getting under the armpit. it goes from under the pit to the nipple on one side then the middle of the chest to the nipple on the other. It's just not going up the neck or the collarbone. I would guess it has to do with the kind of cancer, how small it was, how much involvement there is. I would hope they know what they are doing~ I really hope so : )

Angela
  • MarleneElla
    MarleneElla Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Prone radiation - makes sense uncertain cases
    Prone or face down radiation makes so much sense if you just need breast radiation and it does work for nodes, I just didn't need that.
    After hearing about it and experiencing it I would suggest women look for this alternative! The doctors at Bethesda did an awesome job explaining it.
    It's not really a hole it's more of an open square. So they are easly able to hit you from both sides with minimal impact to your ribs and lungs. Think about where your boobs end up when you lay down, versus flopping forward. in my mind I'm getting more radiation to the area that needs it. I don't want my ribs to get it! There was some educational material that showed how they are actually doing cross sections. This visual helped as well.
    At first I was leery since your opposite boob has a wedge under it to get it out of the way, but it's not uncomfortable at all. My arms go striaight above my head and they actually have a mold of my wrist area so I get in the same position every day.
    I am literally in and out and done with my treatment in 5 minutes or less everyday (22 of 30 done)
    The worst part is where the hole ends, it's a hard foam that hits on my ribs. But since it's so quick, it doesn't matter.
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Prone or face down radiation makes so much sense if you just need breast radiation and it does work for nodes, I just didn't need that.
    After hearing about it and experiencing it I would suggest women look for this alternative! The doctors at Bethesda did an awesome job explaining it.
    It's not really a hole it's more of an open square. So they are easly able to hit you from both sides with minimal impact to your ribs and lungs. Think about where your boobs end up when you lay down, versus flopping forward. in my mind I'm getting more radiation to the area that needs it. I don't want my ribs to get it! There was some educational material that showed how they are actually doing cross sections. This visual helped as well.
    At first I was leery since your opposite boob has a wedge under it to get it out of the way, but it's not uncomfortable at all. My arms go striaight above my head and they actually have a mold of my wrist area so I get in the same position every day.
    I am literally in and out and done with my treatment in 5 minutes or less everyday (22 of 30 done)
    The worst part is where the hole ends, it's a hard foam that hits on my ribs. But since it's so quick, it doesn't matter.

Robang13
    My dx was the same as yours and was told it won't spread. I didn't need radiation.That has bothered me.Stage 0 DCIS. No node involvement. I was told it wouldn't spread to the other breast or other organs but I can get other types of cancers.My tumor was 1/2 centimeter.

My biospy was done with me on my back and then tumor was marked.IMO the stomach would be uncomfortable but I've had some stomach surgery that would make it harder.

I think radiation on stomach is unusal too.My friend had hers laying on her back.

Lynn Smith
  • poplolly
    poplolly Member Posts: 346
    Options

wow
    It is awhile before i start my 6 weeks of rads still doing chemo . I hope that is how they do me it sounds safer I will be getting my rads at Standford University I don't have any idea what to expect. I will have a lot of questions. Just for fun do they have different things for the rad tac like stars moon lady bugs lol just a little humor good luck

Eliza--
    Not only did they

Eliza--

Not only did they not have cute tats, they also used a sharpie marker. I couldn't believe it when they did that. Then they told me not to wash it off!! The least they could have done is gotten more expensive ink. lol
  • robang13
    Options
    poplolly said:

Eliza--
    Not only did they

Eliza--

Not only did they not have cute tats, they also used a sharpie marker. I couldn't believe it when they did that. Then they told me not to wash it off!! The least they could have done is gotten more expensive ink. lol

I had sharpie marker at
    I had sharpie marker at first also. Went home with 6 large x's on my boob. One was so high up I had to button my shirts all the way or answer questions as to why I had this black x there. When I went back for my permanent tats, he used this solution to remove the marker, or so I thought. I went into the changing room and my whole breast was black from the marker spreading all over. I let out such a gasp the woman next to me thought something happened!! Hopefully they will remove yours also : )

angela
  • robang13
    Options

Yes, a space, not a hole. My
    Yes, a space, not a hole. My entire breast is getting it. I am red up to my armpit, across my front down to where the breasts meet and the entire underneath. The table isn't comfy but not bad either. My ribs have gotten a little bruised from the hardness, but nothing too bad. I walk in, take my arm out of the gown, climb up and lay down. I am in and out in under 5 minutes. My ribs are only getting exposed slightly, my neck not at all and my back not at all. The machine does one side and then the other, getting everything in it's path. Now, when my aunt had this same dx years ago, she went on her back for rads. I think it also has to do where your tumor was located. My aunt's was on top of her breast, mine underneath behind the nipple. By my breast hanging down they are getting the rads under there better than if I was on my back and it had to go through my breast to the underneath.Unless there was a way for them hold my breast upright,mine do not stand at attention any longer, this gets to the area needed better. My first 26 treatments will target the entire breast. My last 7 will be boost and directed at the tumor sight itself.

@MarleneElla
    I am 23 out of 33 done. Are you having any burning, rash, peeling issues yet?

Angela
  • robang13
    Options

Yes, a space, not a hole. My entire breast is getting it. I am red up to my armpit, across my front down to where the breasts meet and the entire underneath. The table isn't comfy but not bad either. My ribs have gotten a little bruised from the hardness, but nothing too bad. I walk in, take my arm out of the gown, climb up and lay down. I am in and out in under 5 minutes. My ribs are only getting exposed slightly, my neck not at all and my back not at all. The machine does one side and then the other, getting everything in it's path. Now, when my aunt had this same dx years ago, she went on her back for rads. I think it also has to do where your tumor was located. My aunt's was on top of her breast, mine underneath behind the nipple. By my breast hanging down they are getting the rads under there better than if I was on my back and it had to go through my breast to the underneath.Unless there was a way for them hold my breast upright,mine do not stand at attention any longer, this gets to the area needed better. My first 26 treatments will target the entire breast. My last 7 will be boost and directed at the tumor sight itself.

@MarleneElla

Angela
  • GrowingSoul
    GrowingSoul Member Posts: 18
    Options
    I was told by my RO that for
    I was told by my RO that for a ptient with lumpectomy, no lymphnode involvement, and if you have enough breast tissue left, breast down radiation it is now usually considered the best way because you can better protect the underlying ribs, lungs (and heart if left-sided breast radiation). My Ro siad that not all of us will have that choice, but even if you get radiation laying on your back, new technologies that are in use today (compared to the 1970's) protect the underlying tissue well.
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options

I was told by my RO that for
    I was told by my RO that for a ptient with lumpectomy, no lymphnode involvement, and if you have enough breast tissue left, breast down radiation it is now usually considered the best way because you can better protect the underlying ribs, lungs (and heart if left-sided breast radiation). My Ro siad that not all of us will have that choice, but even if you get radiation laying on your back, new technologies that are in use today (compared to the 1970's) protect the underlying tissue well.

Bump...

Bump...
  • sweetcakes111
    sweetcakes111 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    robang13 said:

@MarleneElla

Angela

hi
    You probably are off this board by now, I was just wondering how 21st. Century was. Did you have the same appt. everyday? What type of lotion did uou use, did you have ant interuptions in tx? Thanks Sweetcakes
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I did
    But actually I am in Canada and our Radiation is done in less time at higher doses. I did 15 teatments which was done over 3 weeks and did both front and back I guess due to it spreading maybe since 11 out of 21 lymphnodes were positive. I think they did the first week on the front then introduced the back for the last treatments. My cancer was stage 3 with a lump growing in armpit in lymphnode not sure what roll this played in it all.
    FYI
    Tara
  • robang13
    Options

hi
    You probably are off this board by now, I was just wondering how 21st. Century was. Did you have the same appt. everyday? What type of lotion did uou use, did you have ant interuptions in tx? Thanks Sweetcakes

Hi sweetcakes!! I'm still
    Hi sweetcakes!! I'm still here!! I thought they were great there! I only waited once for my treatments and that was when they were backed up because of a hospital transport. I had the same time every day unless I needed a different time for person reasons. The people were great! Are you going there for treatment? Do you live in my area? I'll be happy to tell you anything you need to know...just ask!

Angela
  • mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Larger Breasts?
    I just read the chapter on radiation in Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book and she said face-down radiation is sometimes used on larger breasts.
  • robang13
    Options
    mollieb said:

Larger Breasts?
    I just read the chapter on radiation in Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book and she said face-down radiation is sometimes used on larger breasts.

Well, mine aren't large
    Well, mine aren't large large. my aunt who had really large ones and was treated at the same center , with the same diagnoses went on her back. I think it depends on the kind of cancer and where it's located and if there is any node involvement. Mine was located under the breast so going facedown they were able to direct it at that spot.

angela