PET scan and biopsies

tesa
tesa Member Posts: 123
edited November 2022 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Have any of you had MRI that shows abnormality near where original cancer was, then a biopsy that is negative, and weeks later PET scan and MRI still light in that area. So..gotta go for another biopsy so ENT surgeon can remove more tissue???? Treatment was 8 months ago. So very confusing with these tests.

Comments

• sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Could it just be a hot spot
    Could it just be a hot spot from radiation? I have been told false positives are common. I've not had follow up scans. My RO pretty Michelle me that the way my mouth was, and the damage the rads cause it would be pretty certain I would light up a scan.
  • Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    experience
    Jim had this same experience but his doctors were confident each time it was a residual hot spot and were very reassuring. They were correct.

I'm sure others have had this same experience.

Let us know how it goes.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi teas

Yes I had an MRI’s that the doctor said was a big Tumor in my head wanted me to start Chemo again right away. Then we went to MD Anderson for a second opinion and did a PET that said all was clear. Not believing that we went to the Mayo Clinic and did a biopsy that also showed negative no cancer. Six months later went back to MD Anderson and did another PET and it showed and area that was possible cancer again.

Sometimes I don’t know what to believe anymore from these tests that they do. The doctor at MD Anderson wants to do more PET Scans, but I think I am going to tell him not until he can get his machines fixed and working better. I will ops to do another biopsy in September because it is the only sure way of knowing what is there.

A lot of the times the PET and MRI show old scar tissue and in my case the old tissue lights up the scans every time. Make sure you have a doctor that knows what he is doing and get a second opinion before you do any Rad or Chemo.

All the best to you
    Hondo
  • JRG
    JRG Member Posts: 1 Member

My wife has Colorectal cancer and went thru chemo and TNT (chemo/radiation) the surgeon wants to remove everything and the Radiation department said the tumor shrunk 50 plus% we were also told by the Radiologist that the TNT treatment can continue for 4months to a year plus continuing to kill tumor and cancer cells. The surgeon stated that the tumor was so close to the Anal verge is why he has to remove everything and she will have a colostomy. We wanted to know if the cancer and tumor cells are even still there so we are looking to get another biopsy and or considering a PET Scan. Has anyone been thru this type of situation?

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,273 Member

Hello JRG and welcome to the H&N forum. I have faced a cancer situation but nothing like what your wife is going through. I assume you realize this posting is on the Head and Neck forum and you are just reaching out to another forum hoping to find some help. If that is not the case there is a colorectal forum on this site and I will put the link below. Also, you can mouse over discussion boards and you will find it there. Also, I would recommend that you start a new topic/posting no matter what forum you post on, I think it may get more attention.

https://csn.cancer.org/categories/colorectal

I must say that your story of her tumor-shrinking at over 50% less sounds very promising. And the fact that the TNT treatment can continue for 4months to a year plus continuing to kill tumor and cancer cells also sounds very promising. I am wondering why the surgeon would not want the tumor as small as possible to operate, wouldn’t that be better? You may want to ask that. Also if the tumor is shrinking so well is it possible to treat it the way they are to get rid of it with no surgery?

Another option that is mentioned many times on here is that if you are not already dealing with a major hospital or cancer center you may want to check with them, a place such as the Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, etc., Or possibly a major teaching hospital Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, University of Utah Health, etc.

Also another option I would definitely consider also is getting a second opinion especially since the outcome of this is going to have a major impact on her if the operation is done. The surgeon's plan for your wife may be appropriate I don’t know but a second opinion would be very helpful in your decision-making process.

Can your wife continue to get these treatments while you sort this out and possibly get a second opinion? I hope so and I hope you get the best treatment route for her no matter what and be able to feel confident in your decision.

I hope some of this helps.

Wishing You the Best

Take care, God Bless-Russ