Saliva and taste....does it get better?

Options
2»

Comments

• buzz99
    buzz99 Member Posts: 404
    Options
    Taste and saliva
    You will need a lot of time to heal before you will be able to eat and enjoy food again. For Buzz, it was a good 2 months before he started to eat much but a lot of foods stung his tongue at first. At 5 months post treatment, he still cannot tolerate spicy food, beer, some salad dressings,and pineapple. He sometimes has a little bit of saliva and taste is pretty much back. Because of low saliva levels, he needs a lot of liquid with his food. Steak and beer are out for now. Karen
  • BeacherBum
    BeacherBum Member Posts: 32
    Options
    buzz99 said:

Taste and saliva
    You will need a lot of time to heal before you will be able to eat and enjoy food again. For Buzz, it was a good 2 months before he started to eat much but a lot of foods stung his tongue at first. At 5 months post treatment, he still cannot tolerate spicy food, beer, some salad dressings,and pineapple. He sometimes has a little bit of saliva and taste is pretty much back. Because of low saliva levels, he needs a lot of liquid with his food. Steak and beer are out for now. Karen

I feel your pain
    Brian, I'm 8 weeks out of radiation so I'm a lil ahead of you it appears. I can honestly say that it does get better week by week. I had half of my soft pallet removed before I started radiation after they found out I had Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma.

My biggest issue and it appears this might be yours as well is that fact that your mind wants to do what your body isn't ready for. I spoke to my "professionals" yesterday and they told me not to be concerned for at least another month as my body wouldn't be healed before then.

Also, as you ween yourself off your painkillers and carnation/whatever liquid supplements, you will notice a slight increase in saliva as they both will dry out your mouth.

It does get better week by week, but I def feel your pain.