pharmacist

Hello,
I found this site researching protocols. I am a pharmacist, not a cancer survivor. Reading your posts has me sitting here with tears streaming down my face. I work the overnight shift, and I check the chemo orders, as they have to be done by 2 pharmacists. I just wanted to let you all know that when we are doing your orders, we think of you. While I am entering orders, I send up little prayers for you. I have only seen a couple of my chemo patients in person, but I think of each and every one of them, often. and I pray for them and their families.
I will try to answer any questions to the best of my ability. I am new to chemotherapy, but am excellant at research :) and I would like to help if I can.
my personal email address is
[email protected]

Comments

  • Michele23
    Michele23 Member Posts: 168
    Treanda and Rituxan
    Hi,I have Follicular NHL Bcell stage3 nearing my 17th year.Have done a good bit of treatment to make it this far.Local radiation-twice-Chop96-97....Rituxan/10 times + {over40total}now doing Treanda/Rituxan/6.My question would be what is Treanda really made from?I know it is an alkaling agent with that I'm sure rat something or other in it.Have had such a variety of odd side effects.Such as pain effecting "one side" of my body,eye/w tearing& pressure, headache in temple/head,knee swelling with pain and fluid,severe rash and itching mainly ears, head and upper back.I know my body is reacting in a all out negative way and hope I'm able to complete the last 2 rounds of treatment.With Chop I had a breakdown of each drug and what it was derived from.Now I don't get those kinds of papers.Makes one wonder.Lets face it when push comes to shove it's our choice to take these drugs but we should know a bit more about them.Had a port for Chop and removed it a year or so later.Since I've roughed it.So wished I'd had it for Treanda as I've never had veins hurt for a month after treatment.So that's my story and by the way I've have had a very good quality of life up until this drug.There will always be bumps in the road of life even without cancer.Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers and also mixing up our drugs.Blessings,Michele
  • miss maggie
    miss maggie Member Posts: 929
    Is it Dawn??
    Dear Dawn,

    What a lovely, sweet post. Thank you so very much for thinking
    and praying for all of us. Thank you also for offering to answer
    any questions we might have.

    Enjoy the beautiful spring weather and God Bless Maggie
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member

    Is it Dawn??
    Dear Dawn,

    What a lovely, sweet post. Thank you so very much for thinking
    and praying for all of us. Thank you also for offering to answer
    any questions we might have.

    Enjoy the beautiful spring weather and God Bless Maggie

    Dawn,
    We really appreciate what you are doing. We need all the help we can get. Got your e-mail in my book. Thanks again. John
  • JoanieP
    JoanieP Member Posts: 573
    Michele23 said:

    Treanda and Rituxan
    Hi,I have Follicular NHL Bcell stage3 nearing my 17th year.Have done a good bit of treatment to make it this far.Local radiation-twice-Chop96-97....Rituxan/10 times + {over40total}now doing Treanda/Rituxan/6.My question would be what is Treanda really made from?I know it is an alkaling agent with that I'm sure rat something or other in it.Have had such a variety of odd side effects.Such as pain effecting "one side" of my body,eye/w tearing& pressure, headache in temple/head,knee swelling with pain and fluid,severe rash and itching mainly ears, head and upper back.I know my body is reacting in a all out negative way and hope I'm able to complete the last 2 rounds of treatment.With Chop I had a breakdown of each drug and what it was derived from.Now I don't get those kinds of papers.Makes one wonder.Lets face it when push comes to shove it's our choice to take these drugs but we should know a bit more about them.Had a port for Chop and removed it a year or so later.Since I've roughed it.So wished I'd had it for Treanda as I've never had veins hurt for a month after treatment.So that's my story and by the way I've have had a very good quality of life up until this drug.There will always be bumps in the road of life even without cancer.Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers and also mixing up our drugs.Blessings,Michele

    Thank you Michele
    Hi
    Thank you for your encouraging message. I was diagnosed in Jan 2009 with Follicular NHL,B cell stage 3 like you. I had RCOP and just finished my 7th maintanence with Rituxin. I was cancer free in Mar 2009 . had a scan in Sept of 2010 and will have one in Sept 2011, I feel good. You encourage me so much. God bless you
  • KC13167
    KC13167 Member Posts: 215
    Thank you
    It always amazes me when I hear that people that I don't know have prayed for me! How sweet and caring you are. Thank you for offering your assistance, it is very much appreciated. Kellie
  • JoanieP
    JoanieP Member Posts: 573
    Thanks
    Hi Dawn
    Thank you so much for being a person who thinks beyond your own life and is willing to reach out with help for strangers. We need many more people in this world like you.
  • CountryGal7557
    CountryGal7557 Member Posts: 164 Member
    Michele23 said:

    Treanda and Rituxan
    Hi,I have Follicular NHL Bcell stage3 nearing my 17th year.Have done a good bit of treatment to make it this far.Local radiation-twice-Chop96-97....Rituxan/10 times + {over40total}now doing Treanda/Rituxan/6.My question would be what is Treanda really made from?I know it is an alkaling agent with that I'm sure rat something or other in it.Have had such a variety of odd side effects.Such as pain effecting "one side" of my body,eye/w tearing& pressure, headache in temple/head,knee swelling with pain and fluid,severe rash and itching mainly ears, head and upper back.I know my body is reacting in a all out negative way and hope I'm able to complete the last 2 rounds of treatment.With Chop I had a breakdown of each drug and what it was derived from.Now I don't get those kinds of papers.Makes one wonder.Lets face it when push comes to shove it's our choice to take these drugs but we should know a bit more about them.Had a port for Chop and removed it a year or so later.Since I've roughed it.So wished I'd had it for Treanda as I've never had veins hurt for a month after treatment.So that's my story and by the way I've have had a very good quality of life up until this drug.There will always be bumps in the road of life even without cancer.Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers and also mixing up our drugs.Blessings,Michele

    Arnica Gel for sore veins
    Michele, I didn't know the painful veins were from Treanda & not other chemo drugs. So many people tried to convince me to get a port, but I kept thinking 4 rounds of treatment, I can handle that. I had no idea how many times I would have IVs and how painful my arms were afterwards for months. A massage therapist suggested Arnica Gel and wow! what a relief that was! I bought Boericke & Tafel Arniflora Arnica Gel from SwansonVitamins.com for only $6.03. it is worth every penny.

    keep us posted on how things turn out for you after the final two treatments. I will keep praying that you reach remission. My Onc. believes it's possible to stay in remission easily 5 years and hopefully longer. that's what I'm hoping for!

    Janelle
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    Thank you...
    Hi Dawn..(I assume thats your name) (0:
    I too am always amazed when people that don't even know me have my best interest at heart. The chemo nurses at my clinic are angels. They treat me like I'm one of their own family members. From now on I'll remember to stop by the pharmacy at my clinic and tell the pharmacists "Thank you"! You've reminded me to pay tribute and praise the many "behind the scene folks" that are helping me fight this cancer battle. God bless you!
    Love...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • Michele23
    Michele23 Member Posts: 168

    Arnica Gel for sore veins
    Michele, I didn't know the painful veins were from Treanda & not other chemo drugs. So many people tried to convince me to get a port, but I kept thinking 4 rounds of treatment, I can handle that. I had no idea how many times I would have IVs and how painful my arms were afterwards for months. A massage therapist suggested Arnica Gel and wow! what a relief that was! I bought Boericke & Tafel Arniflora Arnica Gel from SwansonVitamins.com for only $6.03. it is worth every penny.

    keep us posted on how things turn out for you after the final two treatments. I will keep praying that you reach remission. My Onc. believes it's possible to stay in remission easily 5 years and hopefully longer. that's what I'm hoping for!

    Janelle

    Gel
    Hello Janelle,Thanks for that piece of information,I'll check into it.See now there are two of us that have suffered with this vein issue.One of my nurses ran the "saline" after treatment and it did help curve the pain.Last time though nurse forgot and I'm always in outerspace after treatment so of course there was pain again.Have already found a fellow who did T/R 11 months ago who has relapsed.Dawn may be able to tell us more,as she sees the names on the bags,If she has a good memory.Most of the nurses know me by name from being at the treatment center so often.Am praying also get some freedom also from this treatment.Thank you so much for your help and kind words.Blessings,Michele
  • Michele23
    Michele23 Member Posts: 168
    JoanieP said:

    Thank you Michele
    Hi
    Thank you for your encouraging message. I was diagnosed in Jan 2009 with Follicular NHL,B cell stage 3 like you. I had RCOP and just finished my 7th maintanence with Rituxin. I was cancer free in Mar 2009 . had a scan in Sept of 2010 and will have one in Sept 2011, I feel good. You encourage me so much. God bless you

    The drugs we have to work with
    Hello Joanie,The Rituxan wasn't out back when I had Chop.In a way I,ve been pretty lucky that each time I've needed a drug to slow this down it's been there.From what I've read down the road Treanda/Rituxan will replace the RChop.Dawn may know more.Once they see how well it does with those of us doing it now.Data.....we're it,this is why I believe my onc looks at me with that blank look in reguards to some of these side effects.It was the same for me going through Rituxan,only that was no comparison with Chop or Treanda.Chop was a rough one for me,really knocked me for a loop.We've got alot of living to do- "God willing".Hugs,Michele
  • CountryGal7557
    CountryGal7557 Member Posts: 164 Member
    Michele23 said:

    Gel
    Hello Janelle,Thanks for that piece of information,I'll check into it.See now there are two of us that have suffered with this vein issue.One of my nurses ran the "saline" after treatment and it did help curve the pain.Last time though nurse forgot and I'm always in outerspace after treatment so of course there was pain again.Have already found a fellow who did T/R 11 months ago who has relapsed.Dawn may be able to tell us more,as she sees the names on the bags,If she has a good memory.Most of the nurses know me by name from being at the treatment center so often.Am praying also get some freedom also from this treatment.Thank you so much for your help and kind words.Blessings,Michele

    will always worry
    Michele, You are right, we are the data! so how could my Onc. say I could be in remission for 5 years easily. I guess he says what he believes I want to hear & that is what I wanted to hear. My Onc. also looked at me with that blank look & said "I've never heard of that" when I asked about the achy joints. Flushing of saline did help the vein pain, and Arnica Gel takes the remainder of the pain away.

    we will learn from each other. and hopefully Dawn can help. My daughter is also a pharmacist at the VA in Minneapolis. she has helped me alot...I will ask her if she can find out what Treanda is made of too.

    talk to you later.
    Janelle
  • onlytoday
    onlytoday Member Posts: 609 Member
    Thank you
    Thanks so much for thinking of us! It means so much. Very touching to think that people mixing up our drugs are caring about us - thank you.

    My next treatment will probably be Treanda. Do you know what it is made of? I know you were already asked this. I was extremely allergic to Rituxan and my doc said it was the murine (mouse) protein that did it. So if in fact Treanda is from rats - I could be facing more trouble!

    Any info you can share with us is welcome.

    Donna
  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    onlytoday said:

    Thank you
    Thanks so much for thinking of us! It means so much. Very touching to think that people mixing up our drugs are caring about us - thank you.

    My next treatment will probably be Treanda. Do you know what it is made of? I know you were already asked this. I was extremely allergic to Rituxan and my doc said it was the murine (mouse) protein that did it. So if in fact Treanda is from rats - I could be facing more trouble!

    Any info you can share with us is welcome.

    Donna

    Treanda
    Treanda is Bendamustine but I don't know if it's from rats or not. It's what my other option was Donna.

    What I was considering was being part of a clinical trial with B & Rituxan but since you were allergic to rituxan I guess you wouldn't qualify.

    I hope you're doing well my friend.

    Beth
  • Michele23
    Michele23 Member Posts: 168
    dixiegirl said:

    Treanda
    Treanda is Bendamustine but I don't know if it's from rats or not. It's what my other option was Donna.

    What I was considering was being part of a clinical trial with B & Rituxan but since you were allergic to rituxan I guess you wouldn't qualify.

    I hope you're doing well my friend.

    Beth

    Allergies
    Gee maybe I'm allergic to Treanda.Beth what symptoms did you get with Rituxan?Hope Dawn gets back to us.Hugs all,Michele DX95 FNHL3
  • forme
    forme Member Posts: 1,161 Member
    onlytoday said:

    Thank you
    Thanks so much for thinking of us! It means so much. Very touching to think that people mixing up our drugs are caring about us - thank you.

    My next treatment will probably be Treanda. Do you know what it is made of? I know you were already asked this. I was extremely allergic to Rituxan and my doc said it was the murine (mouse) protein that did it. So if in fact Treanda is from rats - I could be facing more trouble!

    Any info you can share with us is welcome.

    Donna

    bendamustine
    Hi Donna,

    How are you doing? I know you are going through a hard time right now. I sure hope some of your days are easy and calm.

    I saw your question about treanda/bendamustine and wanted to let you know that it is a nitrogen mustard, not from a mouse. Any chemo that has mustine in the name means mustard. As in mustard gas (world war 1) Hope this helps.

    Peaceful healing
    Lisha
  • onlytoday
    onlytoday Member Posts: 609 Member
    forme said:

    bendamustine
    Hi Donna,

    How are you doing? I know you are going through a hard time right now. I sure hope some of your days are easy and calm.

    I saw your question about treanda/bendamustine and wanted to let you know that it is a nitrogen mustard, not from a mouse. Any chemo that has mustine in the name means mustard. As in mustard gas (world war 1) Hope this helps.

    Peaceful healing
    Lisha

    Thanks
    Lisha,
    Yes this helps. Of course thinking about mustard gas is pretty creepy isn't it?

    Just re-enforces the fact that I HATE CANCER!!!

    I am now waiting for my results of the capsule endoscopy which we hope will tell the tale of what is going on in my small intestine. Thank you for asking.

    I am staying busy and not dwelling on the details as much as possible. In two weeks or so I have a lot of doctors appointments coming up and I figure I can think about it then!!

    How are you doing?

    Praying for all as always.

    Love,

    Donna
  • miss maggie
    miss maggie Member Posts: 929
    onlytoday said:

    Thanks
    Lisha,
    Yes this helps. Of course thinking about mustard gas is pretty creepy isn't it?

    Just re-enforces the fact that I HATE CANCER!!!

    I am now waiting for my results of the capsule endoscopy which we hope will tell the tale of what is going on in my small intestine. Thank you for asking.

    I am staying busy and not dwelling on the details as much as possible. In two weeks or so I have a lot of doctors appointments coming up and I figure I can think about it then!!

    How are you doing?

    Praying for all as always.

    Love,

    Donna

    Good news
    Dear Donna,

    Glad you have no worries with your new treatment. Mustard sounds so much
    better than rat.

    Question: Can you tell me what's the difference between a regular endioscopy and capsule
    endioscopy?

    Thinking of you always. Maggie
  • Michele23
    Michele23 Member Posts: 168
    forme said:

    bendamustine
    Hi Donna,

    How are you doing? I know you are going through a hard time right now. I sure hope some of your days are easy and calm.

    I saw your question about treanda/bendamustine and wanted to let you know that it is a nitrogen mustard, not from a mouse. Any chemo that has mustine in the name means mustard. As in mustard gas (world war 1) Hope this helps.

    Peaceful healing
    Lisha

    That was me asking
    Thanks,I thought that I read that somewhere.This drug was also in my Chop then.Will look through my file.Take care,Michele Dx95 FNHL3