Finished Chemo! Couldn't have done it without you.

JoAnn4818
JoAnn4818 Member Posts: 83
I don't post often because chemo hit me pretty hard. I just finished 4 A/C and 4 Taxol dense dose. My fingernails are purple, no hair anywhere - not even eyelashes, very few red cells just to name a few side effects BUT I DID IT. I don't know how I could have done it without reading all the tips about drinking water, what to eat, getting help from the infusion center, and that it would be OK and that I could make it.

Thanks so much! Now I'm on to re constructive surgery in a few weeks.

JoAnn

Comments

• Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Congrats JoAnn! This is a
    Congrats JoAnn! This is a huge accomplishment! And, good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Hugs, Angie
  • LVG
    LVG Member Posts: 128
    **YEAH**
    Yeah!!
    What a HUGE accomplishment for you... we finished the same treatment ~ the same time.
    I finished mine last Wednesday. You did great! YaaaHoo!

My nails are all black except two; don't have an ounce of hair on my head either. No eyebrows, probably 3 pieces of lash on either side ;-). Haven't had to shave 'anywhere' since beginning treatment.

I plan to continue to use the baby shampoo for a while (as suggested here).
    And want to say that I too, could have never made it as easy as I did - without the info and encouragement from this site. One of the biggest things I caught on to was HYDRATE/WATER/HYDRATE. I really needed that, because I didn't drink much before being dx'd.

This site rocks!
    Continued success on your journey to better health.
  • LVG
    LVG Member Posts: 128
    **YEAH**
    Yeah!!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    LVG said:

**YEAH**
    Yeah!!

Joann and LVG -- Congratulations .. Chemo Queens
    you two have made it ... crossed that chemo line, and rest up. You have accomplished something ... very few people only dream. Difficult as it has been, you 'finished'!!!!

Proud to add your names to our 'Chemo Queen' Society page.

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    YAY! Done with Chemo
    Hi JoAnn,

Congratulations on finishing chemo. Isn't it a great feeling? I had 4 A/C like you did but then I had 12 Taxotere. The purple nails are quite a look - disgusting in a fascinating sort of way I thought. I am now almost 9 months post chemo. I have pretty much a full head of salt & pepper "chemo curls." Only my thumb nails are abnormal looking. I had the one saline fill in my tissue expander and am scheduled for the exchange surgery June 13. I can't tell you how much better I feel today than I did 9 months ago.

Btw, love your picture by the Seven Sisters in San Francisco. I recognize it since I do not live too far from there.

Keep us posted on your progress. IRENE
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

YAY! Done with Chemo
    Hi JoAnn,

Congratulations on finishing chemo. Isn't it a great feeling? I had 4 A/C like you did but then I had 12 Taxotere. The purple nails are quite a look - disgusting in a fascinating sort of way I thought. I am now almost 9 months post chemo. I have pretty much a full head of salt & pepper "chemo curls." Only my thumb nails are abnormal looking. I had the one saline fill in my tissue expander and am scheduled for the exchange surgery June 13. I can't tell you how much better I feel today than I did 9 months ago.

Btw, love your picture by the Seven Sisters in San Francisco. I recognize it since I do not live too far from there.

Congratualtions, job well
    Congratualtions, job well done yay!
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Congratulations
    Glad to hear your good news. Another milestone on the journey done. Good luck with you upcoming surgery. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • BioAdoptMom
    BioAdoptMom Member Posts: 358
    Congratulations!!!!!! You
    Congratulations!!!!!! You go girl!

Nancy
  • Hippiechick58
    Hippiechick58 Member Posts: 320

Nancy

I had the same chemo
    I had the same chemo cocktails as you did. I'm sorry your nails are purple-mine just turned a darker color and I had one or two with a vertical black line running down. Hip, Hip, Hooray for finishing chemo! That is huge!! I wish you luck on your upcoming surgery, I'm hoping to have mine after rads.

Be Well,
    Dianne
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    YEAH fou you!!!!!!!!!
    Great news and many congrats for getting through the Chemo journey!!!! As tough as it was...you are now done with it....... yeah for you. We are all so connected on this site and gain strenght from each other................ keep strong as you continue on and keep in touch. Hugs
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    VickiSam said:

Joann and LVG -- Congratulations .. Chemo Queens
    you two have made it ... crossed that chemo line, and rest up. You have accomplished something ... very few people only dream. Difficult as it has been, you 'finished'!!!!

Proud to add your names to our 'Chemo Queen' Society page.

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam

Congrats Joann and
    Congrats Joann and Lvg!

Sue:)
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    carkris said:

Congratualtions, job well
    Congratualtions, job well done yay!

Congrats!
    ♥ Kristin ♥

Congrats!

♥ Kristin ♥
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Nancy

Such good news!
    Such good news! Congratulations!

Hugs, Jan
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Yeah!
    Isn't it a great feeling. I know that is the way I felt. Yes the support on here is amazing. Sorry you had a hard time but you did it!! Now enjoy life once again.
    Hugs,
    Annette
  • JoAnn4818
    LVG said:

**YEAH**
    Yeah!!
    What a HUGE accomplishment for you... we finished the same treatment ~ the same time.
    I finished mine last Wednesday. You did great! YaaaHoo!

My nails are all black except two; don't have an ounce of hair on my head either. No eyebrows, probably 3 pieces of lash on either side ;-). Haven't had to shave 'anywhere' since beginning treatment.

I plan to continue to use the baby shampoo for a while (as suggested here).
    And want to say that I too, could have never made it as easy as I did - without the info and encouragement from this site. One of the biggest things I caught on to was HYDRATE/WATER/HYDRATE. I really needed that, because I didn't drink much before being dx'd.

This site rocks!
    Continued success on your journey to better health.

Great news LVG
    LVG

I finished Chemo on Thursday and am winding down on my Neulasta side effects tonight so I decided to check in. I'm so glad you're done too!

Congratulations!

JoAnn
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    JoAnn
    congrats on finishing chemo. This site has helped so many of us. I feel like we are all cyber "pink sisters". What a great feeling it is!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • JoAnn4818

YAY! Done with Chemo
    Hi JoAnn,

Thanks so much
    Irene,

You answered my first post and gave me great info! I'll alway be greatful. I had my tissue expander put in at the same time as my mastectomy in January. I got it filled a couple of times while on chemo until I got too sick. They want to do the exchange surgery in a month or two.

We were just visiting beautiful San Francisco when the picture was taken. We had the best time. It was our last trip before I got the diagnosis. I'm actually from Virginia.

Thanks again,

JoAnn
  • JoAnn4818
    Thanks Everybody
    I appreciate your warm wishes! Can you tell I'm just a little excited to be done?

JoAnn
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    JoAnn4818 said:

Thanks Everybody
    I appreciate your warm wishes! Can you tell I'm just a little excited to be done?

JoAnn

where in virginia are you from?
    I;m in Northern Virginia (Reston).

It;s so wonderful to hear about people finishing chemo - it gives me hope to keep going - I have two more treatments to go - May 13 and June 3. It must be such a great feeling to have the chemo behind you - I can;t wait to be at that point.

It;s a long journey - one foot in front of the other and keep on going. I'm trying to stay focused on one day at a time since when I think about what is still ahead of me - two more chemos, surgery, radiation - I feel anxious and overwhelmed. When I stay in the "now" I am OK.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the good news - gives those of us in the middle of the process confidence that like you, WE CAN DO IT!

Laura
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    JoAnn4818 said:

Thanks Everybody

JoAnn

I'm excited for you JoAnn!
    I'm excited for you JoAnn! Big congratulations!

HUGS!