Feeling a little 'Frankensteinish"

pinkapples
pinkapples Member Posts: 54 Member
Is that even a word? Well it is now!
I had my revision surgery last Friday and had my follow up appt yesterday. This is a HUGE success, everything looks amazing and I'm SO pleased.
I got my drain tubes out (YAY) and also got to shower today (What a relief)
After my shower, I removed the dressings and KABAM! WOW! ZOWIE!! I have stitches all over! There was a big issue with my underarm/side area and alot of extra skin and tissue and other boring details, but the end result is almost 12 inches of stitches on each side and I saw it today for the first time.
I know it will heal, and fade, and end up looking fabulous but I really feel kinda Frankesteinish today.
Have any of you ever had this feeling?

Comments

• butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Hi Pinkapples, I just had
    Hi Pinkapples,

I just had my double mastectomy about eight weeks ago. Three weeks after my first surgery and because of blood coagulating near my incision on my left breast, my plastic surgeon had to re-operate. I woke up from this procedure sporting staples. So picture this staples on my left breast, stitches on my right breast, I also have excessive skin (Dr. said he had to be creative) and all kinds of tape and surgical goop coating everything.

I was happy to get those drains out and hop in that shower also. Today all my hardware is gone and I am now fully expanded in my tissue expanders. The reconstruction part makes things look a whole lot better and with time those scars will fade. I still need radiation yet before my final implant exchange. I am hoping my PS will have it all figured out by then on what he can do with those extra bat wing flaps near my armpits.

So yup... you are not alone my friend. LOL
    Lorrie
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I am not familar with Revision
    But I am familar with not looking! When I had my lumpectomy 3 yrs ago I DID NOT look for atleast 3 wks-maybe even 4! I looked away while getting ready for shower (mirrors etc)

Sorry you feel Frankesteinish!

I HOPE you feel better soon!
    *** wow shower best thing ever after not huh?

Denise
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 355 Member

But I am familar with not looking! When I had my lumpectomy 3 yrs ago I DID NOT look for atleast 3 wks-maybe even 4! I looked away while getting ready for shower (mirrors etc)

Denise

Pinkapples,
    I am so glad you

Pinkapples,
    I am so glad you posted! I have an appt with my PS in two weeks and REVISION is my #1 topic for discussion. I, too, had lots of excess skin left from my mastectomy to assist in reconstruction (which took place Nov/Dec), but after the exchange I still have a roll of skin, fat, etc that extends under my arm and the foobs just look kind of lumpy between that and scars. I am supposed to have my 'after' pic this visit, but I am not feeling very 'after', if you know what I mean. I am going to insist that these girls get a little more shapely, 'cause I'm not liking these! He's a great doctor and I know eventually I will be happy, but I'm glad to know someone else has been there and done that and is happy with the result (with the exception of the stitches).
    Chickadee
  • pinkapples

Pinkapples,
    I am so glad you

Pinkapples,
    I am so glad you posted! I have an appt with my PS in two weeks and REVISION is my #1 topic for discussion. I, too, had lots of excess skin left from my mastectomy to assist in reconstruction (which took place Nov/Dec), but after the exchange I still have a roll of skin, fat, etc that extends under my arm and the foobs just look kind of lumpy between that and scars. I am supposed to have my 'after' pic this visit, but I am not feeling very 'after', if you know what I mean. I am going to insist that these girls get a little more shapely, 'cause I'm not liking these! He's a great doctor and I know eventually I will be happy, but I'm glad to know someone else has been there and done that and is happy with the result (with the exception of the stitches).
    Chickadee

I so know what you mean about the roll of skin fat; I had something akin to a "shelf" at the bottom of said roll. I didnt feel very "after" either. But guess what? I can see my underarms now!!! I actually have a little concave area where my armpit is! I'm glad you all gave me the courage to re-visit with my PS and express my concerns because now, even in this rough draft state, I can tell I'm finally an after ;) Good luck to you and keep us posted how things turns out.
    BillieJean
  • pinkapples

Hi Pinkapples, I just had
    Hi Pinkapples,

I just had my double mastectomy about eight weeks ago. Three weeks after my first surgery and because of blood coagulating near my incision on my left breast, my plastic surgeon had to re-operate. I woke up from this procedure sporting staples. So picture this staples on my left breast, stitches on my right breast, I also have excessive skin (Dr. said he had to be creative) and all kinds of tape and surgical goop coating everything.

I was happy to get those drains out and hop in that shower also. Today all my hardware is gone and I am now fully expanded in my tissue expanders. The reconstruction part makes things look a whole lot better and with time those scars will fade. I still need radiation yet before my final implant exchange. I am hoping my PS will have it all figured out by then on what he can do with those extra bat wing flaps near my armpits.

So yup... you are not alone my friend. LOL
    Lorrie

Bat Wings
    That's funny! Good Luck with your next steps :)
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Call my "new" girls,
    Call my "new" girls, frankinboobs. Bumps under my shirt, foobies. I have fhatom nips when I get a chill. Very weird. I have actually looked to see if nips were there. It will get better with time. It does fade. Hugs for speedy recovery. katz
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Katz77 said:

Call my "new" girls,
    Call my "new" girls, frankinboobs. Bumps under my shirt, foobies. I have fhatom nips when I get a chill. Very weird. I have actually looked to see if nips were there. It will get better with time. It does fade. Hugs for speedy recovery. katz

~FRANKENTITTIE~
    That is what I referred to mine as, after seeing all the sutures, and surgical tape~
    Keep your sense of humor, most of the time the incision does fade.
    Give yourself time to heal.
    :) Melanie
    ps~sometimes i even referred to them as "build a boobs" like the place at the mall where you go "stuff bears"......
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Denise

I am sorry that you feel
    I am sorry that you feel this way now, but, just give it time. You will heal and your incision will fade.

Hugs,

Jan
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

~FRANKENTITTIE~
    That is what I referred to mine as, after seeing all the sutures, and surgical tape~
    Keep your sense of humor, most of the time the incision does fade.
    Give yourself time to heal.
    :) Melanie
    ps~sometimes i even referred to them as "build a boobs" like the place at the mall where you go "stuff bears"......

love the comments...and misc
    love the comments...and misc names..
  • poplolly
    poplolly Member Posts: 346
    I felt shock the first time
    I felt shock the first time I looked at my chest after my mastectomy. I like your word--I thought of alien. And now I am peeling from radiation. I didn't have any reconstructive surgery, so my chest definitely looks like something from outer-space!! lol
  • poplolly
    I felt shock the first time I looked at my chest after my mastectomy. I like your word--I thought of alien. And now I am peeling from radiation. I didn't have any reconstructive surgery, so my chest definitely looks like something from outer-space!! lol
  • poplolly