port

foxhill96
foxhill96 Member Posts: 25
Still learning about how to use thiz site. I had a Power Port put in yesterday, is is normal to still be really Sore?

Comments

• jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    It may possibly be tender for about a week or so. Mine wasn't sore but the surrounding skin was incredibly irritated because I have a severe reaction to adhesive and unfortunately nobody bothered to take note of this fact.

Best to call your doctor and ask them if what you're feeling is to be expected. =)
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Your new port
    I had a lovely purple power port, also. As I recall the site was a little sore for about a week and after that I really did not notice it too much. I remember feeling kind of like there was a tether between my chest and my neck. That too went away. I was immensely glad that I got the port. It would have been far too much poking because I had 4 rounds of A/C, 12 rounds of Taxotere, blood draws before each infusion and was given IV fluids 3 times. I got the port removed about 3 months after my last chemo when the oncologist said he no longer had any use for it. Good luck. IRENE
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Yes,
    I was sore for a few days but it was so great being able to have chemo in port since I have bad veins. Some on this site even had blood draws from it but my onc only allowed chemo. Mine was removed just before I started rads. Wishing you well.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Yes,
    I was sore for a few days but it was so great being able to have chemo in port since I have bad veins. Some on this site even had blood draws from it but my onc only allowed chemo. Mine was removed just before I started rads. Wishing you well.
    {{hugs}} Char

me too
    I was a little sore for a couple days. I also got used to driving with a small pillow or something over the port so the seat belt wouldn't rub. The bigger problem was the rash fromthe betadine that no one bothered to wash off!
  • allady
    allady Member Posts: 2
    skipper54 said:

me too
    I was a little sore for a couple days. I also got used to driving with a small pillow or something over the port so the seat belt wouldn't rub. The bigger problem was the rash fromthe betadine that no one bothered to wash off!

port
    Hi, and bless all of you. I've had a power port for about 2 1/2 yrs. I love it. Had bi-lateral mast, cant have any needles or blood pressure taken in either arm. I will keep it as long as I can, as they do draw blood, give any and all infusions, and anything else thats needed. Otherwise, I'd have to use my feet, and the veins are really hard to access. In fact, they usually can't. So, good luck with your port.
  • allady
    allady Member Posts: 2
    allady said:

port
    Hi, and bless all of you. I've had a power port for about 2 1/2 yrs. I love it. Had bi-lateral mast, cant have any needles or blood pressure taken in either arm. I will keep it as long as I can, as they do draw blood, give any and all infusions, and anything else thats needed. Otherwise, I'd have to use my feet, and the veins are really hard to access. In fact, they usually can't. So, good luck with your port.

port
    P.S. there are some really cool seat belt covers to use just for stuff like this. My son got me 2, dont know if they're real sheep skin or not, but whatever, they slip right over the belt and they don't hurt anymore. Boy, used to hurt before, I'd hold the belt out from my body with my hand when I could.
  • foxhill96
    allady said:

port
    P.S. there are some really cool seat belt covers to use just for stuff like this. My son got me 2, dont know if they're real sheep skin or not, but whatever, they slip right over the belt and they don't hurt anymore. Boy, used to hurt before, I'd hold the belt out from my body with my hand when I could.

Thanks all. Seems to be ok
    Thanks all. Seems to be ok when I sit. When I stand and walk it hurts where the port is and in my back and neck. Going for a MUGA scan today. Start the TAC cocktail Monday.
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    power port area sore and swollen
    I also had the power port and was very sore for almost 2 weeks, and the area quite swollen. They had to use a 1" needle to access it for the first couple weeks...then went to the standard 3/4". But it is so great to have the port for chemo........ I had mine removed earlier this month.......almost a year to date from insertion. Good luck with your treatments............
  • jewels5
    jewels5 Member Posts: 57
    cavediver said:

I also had the power port and was very sore for almost 2 weeks, and the area quite swollen. They had to use a 1" needle to access it for the first couple weeks...then went to the standard 3/4". But it is so great to have the port for chemo........ I had mine removed earlier this month.......almost a year to date from insertion. Good luck with your treatments............

hope your pain subsides
    I hope your pain is getting better. Mine was inserted two weeks ago and I had terrible pain for 6 days, then magically I woke up one day and the pain was gone. Every now and then it tugs if I bend over the wrong way, but the surgeon told me it would. The pain is only brief if that happens. I'm getting used to it. Best wishes for your treatment. I started TAC this past Tuesday. I will pray for you.

Julie
  • foxhill96
    cavediver said:

Thank you.

Thank you.
  • foxhill96
    cavediver said:

Thank you.

Thank you.
  • foxhill96
    jewels5 said:

hope your pain subsides
    I hope your pain is getting better. Mine was inserted two weeks ago and I had terrible pain for 6 days, then magically I woke up one day and the pain was gone. Every now and then it tugs if I bend over the wrong way, but the surgeon told me it would. The pain is only brief if that happens. I'm getting used to it. Best wishes for your treatment. I started TAC this past Tuesday. I will pray for you.

Julie

Thank you. Not sure how
    Thank you. Not sure how this is now red. How was your first treatment?did u get the Neulesta shot the next dsy?I am actually surprised that the port hurts more then the lumpectomy did. Good luck n god bless
  • foxhill96
    jewels5 said:

hope your pain subsides

Julie

Thank you. Not sure how
    Thank you. Not sure how this is now red. How was your first treatment?did u get the Neulesta shot the next dsy?I am actually surprised that the port hurts more then the lumpectomy did. Good luck n god bless
  • jewels5
    jewels5 Member Posts: 57
    foxhill96 said:

Thank you. Not sure how

foxhill, My port left a
    foxhill, My port left a terrible rash for several days and is still sometimes red around the area, which they didn't really have an explanation for other than it being an allergic reaction. I did get the N shot the day afterwards and only had mild aching from it. I'm with you- the port was so much more painful than the lumpectomy! Good Luck to you too!