Off topic-any other campers in this group

Options
2»

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options

Camping
    I've never done walk in camping, although that is my daughters preferred vacation. I have camped for most of my life, but gave up tent camping about 10 years ago after getting caught in one too many SD storms (having to stand in the middle of the tent to try to keep it up). The next day I actually caught a fully assembled tent in the river while fishing. Ever since then it has been either a camping cabin or camper. First camping trip of the year is planned for mid-May.

traditions and memories
    ONE year we had free trip (PERK when we joined Disney Vac. CLub) I TOLD My family we'd have to cancel our annual camping trip in the Adk Mtns (NYS) to go to Disney of all places...I WAS out voted we can't miss our tradition! camping it was...!

WE go to Disney often-so they knew it would be long before we'd go back...but to choose camping over Disney! die heart

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

Camping
    I've never done walk in camping, although that is my daughters preferred vacation. I have camped for most of my life, but gave up tent camping about 10 years ago after getting caught in one too many SD storms (having to stand in the middle of the tent to try to keep it up). The next day I actually caught a fully assembled tent in the river while fishing. Ever since then it has been either a camping cabin or camper. First camping trip of the year is planned for mid-May.

traditions and memories
    ONE year we had free trip (PERK when we joined Disney Vac. CLub) I TOLD My family we'd have to cancel our annual camping trip in the Adk Mtns (NYS) to go to Disney of all places...I WAS out voted we can't miss our tradition! camping it was...!

WE go to Disney often-so they knew it would be long before we'd go back...but to choose camping over Disney! die heart

Denise
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    We like to camp but may be
    We like to camp but may be selling our camper. Don't have time to take off for a whole weekend anymore. May have to wait till we retire in 5 years.
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

We like to camp but may be
    We like to camp but may be selling our camper. Don't have time to take off for a whole weekend anymore. May have to wait till we retire in 5 years.

sorry to hear that...
    that is one thing we have never missed (as child) or now as adult we have not missed our annual camping trip in 25yrs...Happy to Say...

no gray area with camping I have found...either love it or hate it....

I have many friends who like Hilton and room service...!
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options

sorry to hear that...
    that is one thing we have never missed (as child) or now as adult we have not missed our annual camping trip in 25yrs...Happy to Say...

no gray area with camping I have found...either love it or hate it....

I have many friends who like Hilton and room service...!

I'm an odd ball. I hate
    I'm an odd ball. I hate hotels. Can't stand others cleaning up for me. When we did stay at hotels I'd pick the place up and organize everything. Can't have a cleaning lady or I'd break my neck to have everything clean when she showed up. I like the peace of camping and waking up to birds instead of air conditioning sounds. Except when it's humid. Some of our best memories are camping. No good memories of hotel stays. I kept a journal of all camping trips. Started camping 41 years ago almost. Someday we'll go again.
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

I'm an odd ball. I hate
    I'm an odd ball. I hate hotels. Can't stand others cleaning up for me. When we did stay at hotels I'd pick the place up and organize everything. Can't have a cleaning lady or I'd break my neck to have everything clean when she showed up. I like the peace of camping and waking up to birds instead of air conditioning sounds. Except when it's humid. Some of our best memories are camping. No good memories of hotel stays. I kept a journal of all camping trips. Started camping 41 years ago almost. Someday we'll go again.

LOVE sitting around campfire...
    I love waking up to the sound of waves in lake (from boats) sloshing on shore...

Many say they can't afford to go away..but camping is so cheap...and fun...we can camp for 2 wks what it cost for a night or two at hotel!

OUR big annual trip every campsite on the Lake shore...! nothing more peaceful then that..! ducks come up walk around us while sitting-the sound OF LOONs is the best!

Denise...

PS I never stayed in a hotel until i was about 16 with friend...once I DID..i wasn't sure what all the hype was about...really!

hehe lol
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Camping

When there is a TS headed at
    When there is a TS headed at you on the Prairie of SD or in the Hills (or any really nasty weather anywhere), that's when you 'batten down the hatches' (take everything down and stow it) and roll up in your storm roll - the more people together in a roll the warmer in a blizzard. Don't help a lot other than keeping you dry in Hail - it still hits hard and hurts. Well in a blizzard, a wall tent strung between 2 stout trees with a pot-belly stove in it is nicer than a roll for long term but either are better than the other options.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You don't have to sleep on hard ground..
    I always have my pad/air matress and cot with me when we pack in and am quite comfy sleeping - that's why I like packing in as you can take your 'creature comforts' with you
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    Rague said:

You don't have to sleep on hard ground..
    I always have my pad/air matress and cot with me when we pack in and am quite comfy sleeping - that's why I like packing in as you can take your 'creature comforts' with you

can't beat LL bean air
    can't beat LL bean air mattress!...
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

LOVE sitting around campfire...
    I love waking up to the sound of waves in lake (from boats) sloshing on shore...

Many say they can't afford to go away..but camping is so cheap...and fun...we can camp for 2 wks what it cost for a night or two at hotel!

OUR big annual trip every campsite on the Lake shore...! nothing more peaceful then that..! ducks come up walk around us while sitting-the sound OF LOONs is the best!

Denise...

PS I never stayed in a hotel until i was about 16 with friend...once I DID..i wasn't sure what all the hype was about...really!

hehe lol

Camping
    When we were first married we took a trip to the Smokies with a camper we rented.A big storm hit in the mountains and lots of rain and a possible flood in no time.Was scary.

As years went on we camped a couple times with tents.Not for me.Cold damp ground.

Then we had a house fire.Someone who lived near us offered a camper to us( to buy) We got it and camped for 6 months in the camper we brought(in our driveway)LOL .This was till we built our new home.Kept the camper but never used it.Someone stopped by and said he wanted to buy it and put on his parents property to live.It was SOLD

Now we are wanna be campers.We brought a camper 2 1/2 years ago.Only because our son needed some help(and we wanted privacy).So son and his wife are living in the nice camper we have.When their life gets back to normal we are going CAMPING.

Lynn Smith
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

Camping
    When we were first married we took a trip to the Smokies with a camper we rented.A big storm hit in the mountains and lots of rain and a possible flood in no time.Was scary.

As years went on we camped a couple times with tents.Not for me.Cold damp ground.

Then we had a house fire.Someone who lived near us offered a camper to us( to buy) We got it and camped for 6 months in the camper we brought(in our driveway)LOL .This was till we built our new home.Kept the camper but never used it.Someone stopped by and said he wanted to buy it and put on his parents property to live.It was SOLD

Now we are wanna be campers.We brought a camper 2 1/2 years ago.Only because our son needed some help(and we wanted privacy).So son and his wife are living in the nice camper we have.When their life gets back to normal we are going CAMPING.

Lynn Smith

I am sure living in camper/trailer
    may have killed the fun part....I can understand that...sorry about fire etc..