PET Scan tomorrow, possible recurrence.

djinco
djinco Member Posts: 87
I started feeling bloated and fatigued a couple of months ago. For approximately one year my CA-125 has been 5 or 6. I was diagnosed stage 3b February 1, 2010. Before surgery my CA-125 was only 72. I had an optimal de-bulking surgery on that date. I completed six rounds of chemo: Taxotere and Carboplatin. Then I was given 9 months of Taxol maintenance. I was taken off the Taxol in November 2010. Now my CA-125 is on the rise along with previously mentioned side effects. My GYN/ONC feels a mass or possible scar tissue in my abdomen. I shall have the PET scan performed tomorrow morning. Currently my CA-125 is 8. I write this to show my fellow teal sisters that the CA-125 test is not always one's best indicator of ovarian cancer return. I pray my cancer has not returned, but I appreciate the due diligence of my GYN/ONC to make his prognosis. I know that I feel the same as I did before my surgery, but I must still have hope for a miracle. If it has returned I will fight the fight once again and my hope is that I will have the same dignity of my teal sisters who have fought this fight before me. Thank you in advance for your prayers. I am frightened.

Comments

• JoanC
    JoanC Member Posts: 231
    Prayers
    You, as all my teal sisters are in my prayers but tonight an extra one for you. Please let us know about the Pet Scan. Here is hoping that it is only scar tissue.
    Extra ((((HUGS))))
    Joan
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    MORE HUGS
    Please know that we are all holding your hand this morning as you have your scan. Your doctor is being very diligent by following up with 'signs and symptoms', as I agree - the CA125 is not always indicative of cancer or absence of. Please let us know as soon as you know.

Till then,
    Sending lots of prayers & (((HUGS)))
    Monika
  • clamryn
    clamryn Member Posts: 508
    Prayers are being said
    Saying extra prayers for you this morning. Please remember we are all with you. You are not alone. I know it is so frightening. Wish I was there with you to give you a hug.

Linda
  • srwruns
    srwruns Member Posts: 343
    Hang in there...hoping it
    Hang in there...hoping it will not be a return...but if it is you know where to come for support!
  • djinco
    djinco Member Posts: 87
    Thank you for your prayers.
    I had my PET scan this morning. I never had one of those before, just CT scans. I don't know why the different test this time. I am very grateful to my Dr. for his choice of tests. I will probably get the results on Tuesday because that is when I have my follow-up with the Dr. I'll keep you you posted once I get the results. Thank you for your concern and prayers. Each of you is very special to me as well. I hope that soon a cure will be found so that we can live normal healthy and happy lives. If my cancer has come back I have already mentioned to my GYN/ONC my interest in a trial this time. He said there are some now in progress, but said he would discuss that later, if needed.
  • Lisa13Q
    Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
    djinco said:

I had my PET scan this morning. I never had one of those before, just CT scans. I don't know why the different test this time. I am very grateful to my Dr. for his choice of tests. I will probably get the results on Tuesday because that is when I have my follow-up with the Dr. I'll keep you you posted once I get the results. Thank you for your concern and prayers. Each of you is very special to me as well. I hope that soon a cure will be found so that we can live normal healthy and happy lives. If my cancer has come back I have already mentioned to my GYN/ONC my interest in a trial this time. He said there are some now in progress, but said he would discuss that later, if needed.

Prayers for you
    I will say prayers for you....My guess is that the doctor is ordering a PET because he can see more detail with that.....please do keep us posted....and here's hoping the 8 is a grand sign that there really is just scar tissue.....that is very possible.....
  • LaundryQueen
    LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676
    djinco said:

What's the difference?
    My understanding of the PET scan is that it is considered as a "functional" test.

Where a CT or MRI is simply a picture of your insides, a PET will show if a nodule or lesion is active or inactive cancer.

Radioactive glucose is injected IV when you have a PET scan--active cancer absorbs the radioactive sugar and lights up on the scan. So you may have something that looks like a tumor but if it doesn't light up, then it is not active cancer.

Unfortunately, areas of inflammation will also light up on a PET scan--it's the radiologist to figure out if something that lights up is more likely to be inflammation or cancer.

I hope this is helpful to you when you go for your appointment. You should try to learn as much as you can BEFORE your appointment so that you can ask appropriate questions of the doctor when you have his/her ear.

Hoping for the best for you.
  • cfont11
    cfont11 Member Posts: 115
    I am saying a prayer.......
    I am praying for you tonight and hope your test results come back negative. I am having my last chemo on Monday, was diagnosed with stage 3 c last june, had 2 surgeries and debulking, had 6 chemo treatments before 2nd. surgery (taxol/carbo) and then 2 sessions after surgery. There were microscopic cancer cells left after surgery. Everytime my CA 125 goes up, I panic. My worst fear is the cancer returning so I can imagine how you must feel. Just know that there are many, many women out there praying for you. Good luck!

Chris
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    cfont11 said:

I am saying a prayer.......
    I am praying for you tonight and hope your test results come back negative. I am having my last chemo on Monday, was diagnosed with stage 3 c last june, had 2 surgeries and debulking, had 6 chemo treatments before 2nd. surgery (taxol/carbo) and then 2 sessions after surgery. There were microscopic cancer cells left after surgery. Everytime my CA 125 goes up, I panic. My worst fear is the cancer returning so I can imagine how you must feel. Just know that there are many, many women out there praying for you. Good luck!

Chris

Me too
    I pray you will continue being ned. Having a pet/ct scan is very involed. I had to be on a no carb diet the day before and fast on the day of the scan. I was just not liking that machine over my face but I got through it. I can not go to the airport as I am radioactive and alarms would go off and I could be called a terrorist. Drinking that awful stuff is really hard for me, I gag. My flavor was pina colada but still tasted bad and I was gagging in it. Not to fond of this test I know it shows everything,...val
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member

Me too
    I pray you will continue being ned. Having a pet/ct scan is very involed. I had to be on a no carb diet the day before and fast on the day of the scan. I was just not liking that machine over my face but I got through it. I can not go to the airport as I am radioactive and alarms would go off and I could be called a terrorist. Drinking that awful stuff is really hard for me, I gag. My flavor was pina colada but still tasted bad and I was gagging in it. Not to fond of this test I know it shows everything,...val

Dear djinco
    Any news

Dear djinco

Any news yet?

(((hugs)))

Carolen
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    thinking of you
    and hoping for good news.
    (((HUGS))) Maria