Options
2»

Comments

• Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Anita1216 said:

She is being seen by Michael
    She is being seen by Michael Hicks, who specializes in gyn/onc at Oakwood Hospital in Dearborn, MI. He treated her cervical ca 19 years ago.

I know the big issue here is her severely weakened state. The chemo dogged her so bad that she is currently in a skilled rehab facility getting OT and PT. Keep in mind her condition was rather poor when this all started. Her doc feels the fluid is an issue and will not perform surgery because of it.

My brother is hoping the second opinion he is seeking will get us another answer or at the very least some hope for a bit more time.

Anita....I had ascites at
    Anita....I had ascites at the time of my surgery. My surgical notes say there was 10 liters present (if I recall....I think it was between 8 and 10). And that was just days after they drained off 3 liters. I have never heard ascites cited as a reason not to do the surgery.

Please, please take her for a second opinion. Cleveland Clinic is a great idea. Mayo would be great, too.

I was so medically fragile after my surgery that they kept me in the hospital for 17 days. I was on TPN feedings, 12 hours out of every 24. My first chemo was so bad, I thought I was dying. I passed out. My BP and O2 levels totally tanked. I left the facility in a wheelchair. But I got stronger and I got thru it!

Don't give up. Don't let your mom give up.

Carlene
  • cfont11
    cfont11 Member Posts: 115
    Options
    I lost my Mom
    I lost my Mom several years ago to kidney disease and COPD. She lived for 8 years after the docs said she only had 2 years max. As others have said, no one has an expiration date and no one but God knows when someone is going to die. I wish I had had more time with my Mom so spend as much time with her as you can. Mant others on this site have had recurrences of cancer multiple times and multiple chemo treatments and are still going strong, like Hissy_Fitz, who has been an inspiration to me. Please get a second opinion. Have you considered Cancer Treatment Centers of America? It also sounds like your Mom needs a nutritionist or someone who can help her get stronger so her body can tolerate more chemo. I know this is a sad difficult time for you and I wish you all the best and a great quality of life for your Mom.

Chris
  • LaundryQueen
    LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676
    Options
    cfont11 said:

I lost my Mom
    I lost my Mom several years ago to kidney disease and COPD. She lived for 8 years after the docs said she only had 2 years max. As others have said, no one has an expiration date and no one but God knows when someone is going to die. I wish I had had more time with my Mom so spend as much time with her as you can. Mant others on this site have had recurrences of cancer multiple times and multiple chemo treatments and are still going strong, like Hissy_Fitz, who has been an inspiration to me. Please get a second opinion. Have you considered Cancer Treatment Centers of America? It also sounds like your Mom needs a nutritionist or someone who can help her get stronger so her body can tolerate more chemo. I know this is a sad difficult time for you and I wish you all the best and a great quality of life for your Mom.

Chris

IV feeding ASAP
    Anita: Just because there is a tumor ON the liver doesn't mean it is IN the liver. Your mom's biggest issue is her protein malnutrition.

It sounds like your mom desperately needs IV feedings--not just sugar water--she is losing protein every time she has the ascites fluid drained off. She needs IV protein & fat.

Your mom is starving inside--it doesn't matter what she eats...your mom is canabalizing her own muscles to try to stay alive (sorry to be so darmatic).

The malignant ascites fluid is coming from all of the new blood vessels that cancer created to feed itself--those leaky blood vessels leak protein out of the entire blood supply.

Where the protein goes the water follows--right into the belly. The more protein that is lost, the more fluid collects in the belly--it is a vicious cycle.

When the ascites is drained, not just water but also protein is being drained out of the body.

Many people who have cancer die from starvation rather than the cancer. I pray that you can find someone to give your mom IV feedings or "TPN" (that which Carlene spoke of).

Based on how sick Carlene originally was, no amount of chemo could have saved her if she had not ALSO been give the TPN (IV feedings) so that she didn't starve to death waiting for the chemo to work.

Sorry if I have made you more upset because it sounds like you are trying to help your mom and not getting anywhere--you could appeal to your mom's family doctor for the TPN, it doesn't have to be ordered by the oncologist.

Maybe the insurance won't pay for TPN? Or maybe there is more going on that I don't know about besides what you have shared with us.

Other women epithelial OVCA (which is very similar to PPC) have had good results from Avastin which kills the cancer indirectly by choking off the blood supply.

Stay strong so that you can be the most effective advocate possible for your mother. She is too weak to fight this alone.
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

IV feeding ASAP
    Anita: Just because there is a tumor ON the liver doesn't mean it is IN the liver. Your mom's biggest issue is her protein malnutrition.

It sounds like your mom desperately needs IV feedings--not just sugar water--she is losing protein every time she has the ascites fluid drained off. She needs IV protein & fat.

Your mom is starving inside--it doesn't matter what she eats...your mom is canabalizing her own muscles to try to stay alive (sorry to be so darmatic).

The malignant ascites fluid is coming from all of the new blood vessels that cancer created to feed itself--those leaky blood vessels leak protein out of the entire blood supply.

Where the protein goes the water follows--right into the belly. The more protein that is lost, the more fluid collects in the belly--it is a vicious cycle.

When the ascites is drained, not just water but also protein is being drained out of the body.

Many people who have cancer die from starvation rather than the cancer. I pray that you can find someone to give your mom IV feedings or "TPN" (that which Carlene spoke of).

Based on how sick Carlene originally was, no amount of chemo could have saved her if she had not ALSO been give the TPN (IV feedings) so that she didn't starve to death waiting for the chemo to work.

Sorry if I have made you more upset because it sounds like you are trying to help your mom and not getting anywhere--you could appeal to your mom's family doctor for the TPN, it doesn't have to be ordered by the oncologist.

Maybe the insurance won't pay for TPN? Or maybe there is more going on that I don't know about besides what you have shared with us.

Other women epithelial OVCA (which is very similar to PPC) have had good results from Avastin which kills the cancer indirectly by choking off the blood supply.

Stay strong so that you can be the most effective advocate possible for your mother. She is too weak to fight this alone.

DO NOT GIVE UP
    there are sevferal ways to get your mom's albumin normal as iv fluids tpn or feeding tube in abdomen. I agree with the other ladies too on this , the tumor is sitting on the liver not in it. Your dr. is giving up too soon. Get another opinion please. You just never know, there may be someone out there who can help. How is your mom feeling? Is she weak? Buy some boost or ensure drinks high in calories and nutrition. Good luck...val
  • Anita1216
    Anita1216 Member Posts: 58
    Options

IV feeding ASAP

The insurance would not be
    The insurance would not be an issue-Medicare/Medicade. I have siblings who are financially able to go to bat if that is what it takes.

I know she is starving to death..I have known this for weeks. I just wish someone would listen to me dammit. All we really want is a good quality of life, time for her to spend with us doing what she wants.

They sight the ascities as a surgical issue because they feel she wont come off the vent. Her gyn/onc flat said that surgery just really doesnt help this kind of cancer, it simply puts out one fire and leaves others burning.

I am distraught and getting angrier as this goes along.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Anita1216 said:

The insurance would not be
    The insurance would not be an issue-Medicare/Medicade. I have siblings who are financially able to go to bat if that is what it takes.

I know she is starving to death..I have known this for weeks. I just wish someone would listen to me dammit. All we really want is a good quality of life, time for her to spend with us doing what she wants.

They sight the ascities as a surgical issue because they feel she wont come off the vent. Her gyn/onc flat said that surgery just really doesnt help this kind of cancer, it simply puts out one fire and leaves others burning.

I am distraught and getting angrier as this goes along.

A year is a long time. If
    A year is a long time. If she can live like this for a year, then she is not at death's door. Maybe we are all wrong and her doctor is correct, but I think you will always regret it if you don't get a second opinion.

And please don't worry about offending the doctor. They are used to it, and almost expect it in cases like this. And besides....who cares if he gets his nose out of joint? This is your mom's life and nothing else matters.

Carlene
  • kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options

A year is a long time. If
    A year is a long time. If she can live like this for a year, then she is not at death's door. Maybe we are all wrong and her doctor is correct, but I think you will always regret it if you don't get a second opinion.

And please don't worry about offending the doctor. They are used to it, and almost expect it in cases like this. And besides....who cares if he gets his nose out of joint? This is your mom's life and nothing else matters.

Carlene

I agree with
    all the ladies. Get a second opinion. When I was diagnosed my gyn/onc said there were spots on my liver. That scared the heck out of me. But he said if it's not cancer no worry but if it is the chemo will get it. Thankfully the chemo worked on me. This whole thing is a crap shoot but we have to fight it as hard as we can for as long as we can.

Karen
  • wendybill
    wendybill Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Ahhh Anita
    Take a deep breath and hang in there. I also agree with the others in regard to the TPN feedings. My mother would not have pulled through without it. She was so week. Go check out the Cleveland Clinic. My parents live in Buffalo and my father is already insisting that we take him there when he is ill. I have been on this board for months now and have seen people make remarkable turnarounds. I never thought my mom would be one of them but she ended up beating the odds and returned to work two weeks ago. She is 62 and was unconscious and on a ventilator for 5 weeks due to the spread of her cancer to her lungs. I never thought she would survive and now I have my mom back.

Irregardless of what your family decides, I do like your mom's attitude. She strikes me as a very brave woman when faced with her own mortality as the MD has presented. I wish you the best.
    Wendy
  • Anita1216
    Options
    wendybill said:

Ahhh Anita
    Take a deep breath and hang in there. I also agree with the others in regard to the TPN feedings. My mother would not have pulled through without it. She was so week. Go check out the Cleveland Clinic. My parents live in Buffalo and my father is already insisting that we take him there when he is ill. I have been on this board for months now and have seen people make remarkable turnarounds. I never thought my mom would be one of them but she ended up beating the odds and returned to work two weeks ago. She is 62 and was unconscious and on a ventilator for 5 weeks due to the spread of her cancer to her lungs. I never thought she would survive and now I have my mom back.

Irregardless of what your family decides, I do like your mom's attitude. She strikes me as a very brave woman when faced with her own mortality as the MD has presented. I wish you the best.
    Wendy

Its been a long weekend and
    Its been a long weekend and not very restful, but there have been many tear filled yet much needed talks with mom.

She lost her older sister, who was also her best friend to cancer almost 4 years ago. She said how Janet always saved her a seat and would likely be doing so in heaven. That moment was agaonizing, but knowing mom was seeing things from that perspective was somehow comforting. She wants us all to be strong and to stay positive. She is coming home Thursday to my twin sisters house. We prefer she be with us for whatever the future may hold.

No news yet from the other physician, hoping to know something by Monday.

I love her so much, she has always been so solid and sure. Her feet rooted firmly in the familiar and steady. She is my only parent and all I have ever known for guidance and reassurance. I have looked to her when life got a bit to much for me. Now she is looking to us and all we can do is be brave and to fight. She wants to be with us, to have us close and not one of us would ever deny her that.

I will keep you all posted as this unfolds and I pray the news will be more hopeful.

Thank you all!
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Anita1216 said:

Its been a long weekend and
    Its been a long weekend and not very restful, but there have been many tear filled yet much needed talks with mom.

She lost her older sister, who was also her best friend to cancer almost 4 years ago. She said how Janet always saved her a seat and would likely be doing so in heaven. That moment was agaonizing, but knowing mom was seeing things from that perspective was somehow comforting. She wants us all to be strong and to stay positive. She is coming home Thursday to my twin sisters house. We prefer she be with us for whatever the future may hold.

No news yet from the other physician, hoping to know something by Monday.

I love her so much, she has always been so solid and sure. Her feet rooted firmly in the familiar and steady. She is my only parent and all I have ever known for guidance and reassurance. I have looked to her when life got a bit to much for me. Now she is looking to us and all we can do is be brave and to fight. She wants to be with us, to have us close and not one of us would ever deny her that.

I will keep you all posted as this unfolds and I pray the news will be more hopeful.

Thank you all!

Dear Anita
    My thoughts are with you, your Mom and your sister.
    ((HUGS)) Maria
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Mwee said:

Dear Anita
    My thoughts are with you, your Mom and your sister.
    ((HUGS)) Maria

I agree about getting your
    I agree about getting your mom on IV feedings (TPN). If she can swallow, I don't think any doctor will put a feeding tube in your mom.

Please keep us updated, we are hoping for the best.
  • Best Friend
    Best Friend Member Posts: 222
    Options
    Please!
    Okay-
    I am terrified of this disease. I can only imagine how my mother feels. She is 62. She had more energy than me. She even was taking care of my daughter while i worked full-time. It's hard when this hits. However, I got sick of crying and i know i need to spend time with her bringing up old times and enjoying the new ones. I try to cry when i take a bath or when i am in bed. We live with my mom. Your mom does not need this negativity that this doctor is surrounding her with. It is PATHETIC!
    Yes this cancer is hard. Yes it runs you down. But I read all the nasty statistics and than i come on here and hear REAL stories. So many people are living life with this type of cancer now. My mother has stage 4. Our local doc is starting chemo. We went for second opinion at the University of Pennsylvania which is listed as number 9 in the U.S. for Gynecolgical Oncology. And Number 2 for Best Medical Research underneath Harvard. HELLO! Do you think they would say oh sorry, we tried chemo, it didn't work, Sorry! At first they told my mom no surgery. It would be too much for her. But our local doc wants to try chemo, than surgery. Just from sitting in the Cancer center I see women of all ages suffering and there are ways to help treat your mom for her exhaustion and mal-nutrition. That should be the focus now. Than try something else.
    My mother has spots on her liver. She has it in a piece of her colon. Touching her spleen. Her omentum is covered. Her stomach. I mean her diagnosis when i heard it took my breath away.
    But then we saw her oncologist and he made us feel hopeful. Who the heck does your doctor think he is? Never let someone do that to your mom. Go for the second opinion. There are cancer centers all across the U.S. Treat now, think about money later. Also, the median survival for stage 4 is like 6 to 12 months. My mom has had the disease with no treatment and has lasted years with it. Come on.
  • Anita1216
    Options

Please!
    Okay-
    I am terrified of this disease. I can only imagine how my mother feels. She is 62. She had more energy than me. She even was taking care of my daughter while i worked full-time. It's hard when this hits. However, I got sick of crying and i know i need to spend time with her bringing up old times and enjoying the new ones. I try to cry when i take a bath or when i am in bed. We live with my mom. Your mom does not need this negativity that this doctor is surrounding her with. It is PATHETIC!
    Yes this cancer is hard. Yes it runs you down. But I read all the nasty statistics and than i come on here and hear REAL stories. So many people are living life with this type of cancer now. My mother has stage 4. Our local doc is starting chemo. We went for second opinion at the University of Pennsylvania which is listed as number 9 in the U.S. for Gynecolgical Oncology. And Number 2 for Best Medical Research underneath Harvard. HELLO! Do you think they would say oh sorry, we tried chemo, it didn't work, Sorry! At first they told my mom no surgery. It would be too much for her. But our local doc wants to try chemo, than surgery. Just from sitting in the Cancer center I see women of all ages suffering and there are ways to help treat your mom for her exhaustion and mal-nutrition. That should be the focus now. Than try something else.
    My mother has spots on her liver. She has it in a piece of her colon. Touching her spleen. Her omentum is covered. Her stomach. I mean her diagnosis when i heard it took my breath away.
    But then we saw her oncologist and he made us feel hopeful. Who the heck does your doctor think he is? Never let someone do that to your mom. Go for the second opinion. There are cancer centers all across the U.S. Treat now, think about money later. Also, the median survival for stage 4 is like 6 to 12 months. My mom has had the disease with no treatment and has lasted years with it. Come on.

Mom is eating better and its
    Mom is eating better and its been almost 2 weeks since she was tapped for ascities...it has not reared its ugly head yet and for that we are very grateful.

We have had two other docs look at her CT scans and report and both of them feel that if she is strong enough, try the second line of chemo. We are going to give it a shot.

Its tough, but there is always hope!!!
  • LaundryQueen
    LaundryQueen Member Posts: 676
    Options
    Anita1216 said:

Mom is eating better and its been almost 2 weeks since she was tapped for ascities...it has not reared its ugly head yet and for that we are very grateful.

We have had two other docs look at her CT scans and report and both of them feel that if she is strong enough, try the second line of chemo. We are going to give it a shot.

So glad to hear this!
    Anita: thanks for keeping us updated on your sweet mom. May she get stronger so she has a chance to prove the doctor wrong!
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Anita1216 said:

DID YOU SEE DR. M?
    Glad to hear you got two other opinions. Were you able to get in to see Dr. M? We'll pray that your Mom will regain lots of strength to try the chemo again and kill this thing once and for all!

(((HUGS)))
    Monika
  • Mum2bellaandwilliam
    Mum2bellaandwilliam Member Posts: 412
    Options
    Anita1216 said:

That is fabulous news , what
    That is fabulous news , what was the first doctor thinking?
    My mum is in a very similar boat to your mum,PPC , carbo /taxol didn't work , Mum has just had her third round of doxil and her ca125 draw before the third lot was 36,so it is working! so keep your fingers crossed your mum has the same great results. You are a long way of the end of the road yet!!!
    keep us all posted on your mums progress.

Liz xx