irritated bowel?

Options
Barb56
Barb56 Member Posts: 20
I am a four-year survivor...new to this board. Has anyone experienced a renewed irritation of the colon? Seems like I have irritable bowel syndrome lately. I take daily Immodium which worked up until lately, and now I just feel "crampy" after eating, etc. All my scans and counts have been good. Also I was reading about citrus and fruit on another message....that's impossible for me. I'm lactose intolerant and can't eat much fruit or veggies, all the stuff that's sposed to be good for you. any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Barb56
    Options
    Sorry, my iPad seems to have
    Sorry, my iPad seems to have entered this thread three times! I'm learning...
  • Barb56
    Options
    Sorry, my iPad seems to have
    Sorry, my iPad seems to have entered this thread three times! I'm learning...
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Ipad?

Is that like a Maxipad?
    Haha.....

They say the only difference between an Apple and an Etch-a-Sketch,
    is that you have to shake the Etch-a-Sketch harder!

Ok, back to your question.... IBS?

You didn't say if you've had abdominal surgery, or the extent
    of that surgery, or if you had any surgery at all.

If you have had abdominal surgery, your condition might indicate
    a partial obstruction due to adhesions or hernias. Both are very
    common for anyone that's had abdominal surgery.

There are other symptoms that may accompany an intestinal
    obstruction, but if you haven't had surgery, I won't bother
    typing the horrid list...

Most of us "old timers" of the board have included a description
    of what we've had, or are going through on the personal space
    provided by this board's system. It makes it easier for others to be
    of help, when they can refer to the information provided. And it
    saves you time having to explain the conditions with every question.

Welcome to the board, by the way! You'll find a ton of information
    here, that most doctors don't provide their patients. Some info
    is good, some info needs some scrutiny (like anything I type),
    but it's all here for you to sort through!

(let us know about the surgery thing)

Best wishes!

John
  • AmylynnC
    AmylynnC Member Posts: 2
    Options
    irritated bowel...
    My husband was diagnosed with Colon cancer in July of 2009 and since his surgery his colon was getting worse and worse. He is constipated one day and spends hours in the bathroom the next. IBS was his GI's explination as well. They told us they never know what removing part of your colon is going to do since they remove the bacteria too. He is taking probiotics twice a day, Align is supposed to be one of the best, and he takes powdered fiber twice a day as well. He is still having some problems but he is good days are getting better. Good Luck!
  • Barb56
    Options
    AmylynnC said:

irritated bowel...
    My husband was diagnosed with Colon cancer in July of 2009 and since his surgery his colon was getting worse and worse. He is constipated one day and spends hours in the bathroom the next. IBS was his GI's explination as well. They told us they never know what removing part of your colon is going to do since they remove the bacteria too. He is taking probiotics twice a day, Align is supposed to be one of the best, and he takes powdered fiber twice a day as well. He is still having some problems but he is good days are getting better. Good Luck!

More info
    Oh yes, I suppose more info would be making it easier to respond to, sorry about that! OK, here's my story....went in for the colonoscopy at age 50, when they found the tumor. They tried to go in with a scope and get it rectally, but they couldn't get it all and I tore, so I was kept over-night, and then had the abdominal surgery the next day (December 2006). They removed two-thirds of my rectum but I had a wonderful surgeon and she was able to reconnect everything...no bag, which was one of my major "I can't handle this" moments. (My oncologist said there might be days I WISHED I had a bag, and I have to agree there, too....some days it's very annoying, all these trips to the bathroom!). Anyway - then had chemo and radiation, 7 weeks concurrently. I know for many it's treatment first, then surgery, but mine was the reverse.
    SO - for the most part I do fine - had to give up red meat except ground, can't eat some fruits and veggies, and am lactose intolerant. But you know what they say, attitude is everything, and mine has been great from day one, except for the occasional bouts of stomach issues I have. Faith is a wonderful thing, and it's helped me get through this "stuff." I don't know of anything to try except a pharmacist told me that it isn't on the box, but you can use several Imodium a day with no ill effects, and that has helped me out a lot. I was on one a day, and recently went to two a day. As of today, the doc said to try even more for a bit, and that may give the bowel time to settle down. Any other ideas to relieve that irritation would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Barb56 said:

More info
    Oh yes, I suppose more info would be making it easier to respond to, sorry about that! OK, here's my story....went in for the colonoscopy at age 50, when they found the tumor. They tried to go in with a scope and get it rectally, but they couldn't get it all and I tore, so I was kept over-night, and then had the abdominal surgery the next day (December 2006). They removed two-thirds of my rectum but I had a wonderful surgeon and she was able to reconnect everything...no bag, which was one of my major "I can't handle this" moments. (My oncologist said there might be days I WISHED I had a bag, and I have to agree there, too....some days it's very annoying, all these trips to the bathroom!). Anyway - then had chemo and radiation, 7 weeks concurrently. I know for many it's treatment first, then surgery, but mine was the reverse.
    SO - for the most part I do fine - had to give up red meat except ground, can't eat some fruits and veggies, and am lactose intolerant. But you know what they say, attitude is everything, and mine has been great from day one, except for the occasional bouts of stomach issues I have. Faith is a wonderful thing, and it's helped me get through this "stuff." I don't know of anything to try except a pharmacist told me that it isn't on the box, but you can use several Imodium a day with no ill effects, and that has helped me out a lot. I was on one a day, and recently went to two a day. As of today, the doc said to try even more for a bit, and that may give the bowel time to settle down. Any other ideas to relieve that irritation would be appreciated. Thanks!

Barb56 -

I hate to ask sh?tty questions, but are you alternating between
    constipation and diarrhea? If so, you should ask your physician
    about the possibility that you're experiencing a partial obstruction.

Very, very smelly waste is another sign of an obstruction.

Oh... and taking Imodium as a steady diet, isn't advised by
    most physicians; the real problem should be addressed, not
    hidden away or disguised by drugs. If your system is pushing
    the food product through at a fast pace, there's a reason it's
    doing so. If you're feeling "crampy" after eating, there's a reason
    for that. Your doc should be making an attempt to figure out
    what those reasons are. Sometimes you have to lean a little
    harder on these physicians to get the right answers.

I'm not saying the following to scare you, but just to illustrate
    the excuse game...

Back in 2005, my physicians said I probably had IBS, so I took
    over-the-counter meds for it. After awhile, those drugs stopped
    working. I started to have major pains in the abdomen, and was
    cycling between constipation and diarrhea, until finally a total
    stoppage of bowel movements, and incredible pain. My doc
    said that IBS can be like that....

I went to our TCM doc, and he gave me herbs for one day,
    and to report back to him the following day.

I moved my bowels~! Great! But the next day I was in pain
    again. My TCM doc said I had an obstruction in my large
    intestine and to go to the hospital for scans.

I went to an outpatient clinic instead. They took X-rays and
    spent almost two hours poking around. They told me to get to
    the hospital, that I had some sort of an intestinal obstruction,
    not IBS.

I was in the hospital for over a month after they removed a
    fist-sized tumor from my colon.

I'm certain that isn't your case, but my point is.. do not assume
    it's simple IBS. And taking meds to help a condition of IBS can
    cause you to lose time and good health if you have something
    more serious than IBS.

Get another opinion from a qualified physician; Do it.

Good health wishes,

John
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    2 thougts
    Have you been tested for C.Diff.? It is a common bacteria in hospitals that will give one diarrhea and stomach cramps. Also C.Diff. test only 1/3 of the time for positive. So, one can have C.Diff. for a while before being treated for it. Also C.Diff. side effects are similar to Chemo side effects.

Have you tried Liquid Provbiotics? Many are made from soy, lactose, or a combination of the two. Probiotics will recolonize the good bacteria in one's intestinal tract.

Best Always, mike
  • Barb56
    Options
    thxmiker said:

2 thougts
    Have you been tested for C.Diff.? It is a common bacteria in hospitals that will give one diarrhea and stomach cramps. Also C.Diff. test only 1/3 of the time for positive. So, one can have C.Diff. for a while before being treated for it. Also C.Diff. side effects are similar to Chemo side effects.

Have you tried Liquid Provbiotics? Many are made from soy, lactose, or a combination of the two. Probiotics will recolonize the good bacteria in one's intestinal tract.

Best Always, mike

Thanks for the input.
    I don't know anything at all about provbiotics, what do they do? Guess I need to do some research.
    Dang it, I get tired of scary possibilities...everything will go along great but you are always reminded of the big C.
  • Barb56
    Options
    John23 said:

Barb56 -

I hate to ask sh?tty questions, but are you alternating between
    constipation and diarrhea? If so, you should ask your physician
    about the possibility that you're experiencing a partial obstruction.

Very, very smelly waste is another sign of an obstruction.

Oh... and taking Imodium as a steady diet, isn't advised by
    most physicians; the real problem should be addressed, not
    hidden away or disguised by drugs. If your system is pushing
    the food product through at a fast pace, there's a reason it's
    doing so. If you're feeling "crampy" after eating, there's a reason
    for that. Your doc should be making an attempt to figure out
    what those reasons are. Sometimes you have to lean a little
    harder on these physicians to get the right answers.

I'm not saying the following to scare you, but just to illustrate
    the excuse game...

Back in 2005, my physicians said I probably had IBS, so I took
    over-the-counter meds for it. After awhile, those drugs stopped
    working. I started to have major pains in the abdomen, and was
    cycling between constipation and diarrhea, until finally a total
    stoppage of bowel movements, and incredible pain. My doc
    said that IBS can be like that....

I went to our TCM doc, and he gave me herbs for one day,
    and to report back to him the following day.

I moved my bowels~! Great! But the next day I was in pain
    again. My TCM doc said I had an obstruction in my large
    intestine and to go to the hospital for scans.

I went to an outpatient clinic instead. They took X-rays and
    spent almost two hours poking around. They told me to get to
    the hospital, that I had some sort of an intestinal obstruction,
    not IBS.

I was in the hospital for over a month after they removed a
    fist-sized tumor from my colon.

I'm certain that isn't your case, but my point is.. do not assume
    it's simple IBS. And taking meds to help a condition of IBS can
    cause you to lose time and good health if you have something
    more serious than IBS.

Get another opinion from a qualified physician; Do it.

Good health wishes,

John

I was told the reason the
    I was told the reason the food is going thru quickly is because they removed 2/3rds of my rectum...the storage area, if you will. That is the area where the fluid is removed from bile, so without Imodium it's runnier. it's worked well for me and a Pharmacist told me that it's listed iin one of their books to be used this way.....
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    GI Revive
    I was advised to take a supplement: GI Revive, daily for 30 days to restore the mucosal lining of the colon/bowel. Either 1 tsp powder a day on food or 7 capsules/day (= 1 tsp) I took the capsules - hated the powder. It set me up, and I've been good since I did that 2 years ago.
  • Barb56
    Options
    abrub said:

GI Revive
    I was advised to take a supplement: GI Revive, daily for 30 days to restore the mucosal lining of the colon/bowel. Either 1 tsp powder a day on food or 7 capsules/day (= 1 tsp) I took the capsules - hated the powder. It set me up, and I've been good since I did that 2 years ago.

Thank you for the info, I'll
    Thank you for the info, I'll ask about that. In the meantime, I'm eating bland and today is a better day.
    Sometimes I just need to remind myself of the "new" normal.