Michael Douglas!

Options
rozaroo
rozaroo Member Posts: 665
Apparently he is on Oprah today! Just saying!

Comments

• Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    Pausing to fight back tears, the actor said, "Wow! I know that I'm much closer to my friends and family. I have a much deeper appreciation of family and friends. I was moved by the outpouring of support and I was truly overwhelmed by the fan support."

And he revealed he has discovered a new appreciation for religion following his cancer fight.

The Wall Street star added, "For somebody who has no formal education... the amount of prayers and support that I received worldwide, I think truly did have an influence... in what happened."

But Douglas insists his dogged determination to get on with things really helped him win his first battle with cancer: "You got cancer, you gotta take care of business and they tell you, 'You've got seven weeks of radiation and chemo...' you kind of dive in and do it. I'm the type of person when they're sick... I don't like a lot of fuss or attention... So I got on with it."

(I have a sneaking suspicion, if they were genuine tears he was fighting back, that he really did step into our shoes for a little while. Which is cool.)

kcass
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Shoes
    Amen, walk a mile in our shoes brother and sister....

Cancer doesn't care how famous you are, and I'm sure it can humble the best. Unfortunately it's a disease that no matter how much you read about it or see the effects, you just can't fully appreciate it until you've battled it.

I know appreciate sounds kind of stupid, but I appreciate the things that it has enlightened within me. To try and be more sensitive to others, appreciate the little things you seem to ignore or forget, birds singing in the eraly morning, beautiful sunrises and sunsets....people that you love, but don't tell them enough.....

Unfortunately I have a very good friend that's father lost that battle last night. But he lives on in his son in love, spirit and faith.

Thoughts,
    JG
  • rozaroo
    rozaroo Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Shoes
    Amen, walk a mile in our shoes brother and sister....

Cancer doesn't care how famous you are, and I'm sure it can humble the best. Unfortunately it's a disease that no matter how much you read about it or see the effects, you just can't fully appreciate it until you've battled it.

I know appreciate sounds kind of stupid, but I appreciate the things that it has enlightened within me. To try and be more sensitive to others, appreciate the little things you seem to ignore or forget, birds singing in the eraly morning, beautiful sunrises and sunsets....people that you love, but don't tell them enough.....

Unfortunately I have a very good friend that's father lost that battle last night. But he lives on in his son in love, spirit and faith.

Thoughts,
    JG

Michael!
    I also like the fact that he corrected Oprah on how he is still not out of the wood's & has many check up's & scan's to follow before he is out of the wood's!
    John I am sorry about your friend's father passing away.I am sorry for your loss!
    God Bless Roz
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    rozaroo said:

Michael!
    I also like the fact that he corrected Oprah on how he is still not out of the wood's & has many check up's & scan's to follow before he is out of the wood's!
    John I am sorry about your friend's father passing away.I am sorry for your loss!
    God Bless Roz

Oropharyngeal cancer is supposedly the C he has, though "throat C-" is usually just what is stated.

Oropharyngeal cancer is a disease which malignant cells form in the tissue of oropharynx. Oropharynx is a middle part of the throat which includes the base of the tongue, the tonsils, the soft palate, and the walls of the pharynx.

After my earlier post on this thread, I watched his interview with Oprah on the net, and have a new respect for Mr. Douglas. Not possible to know if he really did look at it from the start as he said in the interview; however, taking him at his word, I think he showed us a perspective of strength that is good to have at the start of the journey he has in common with us. And for that, perhaps he will help someone just getting started. Ain't exactly "come what may," but it ain't so far away. And to be shaken, as he truly was, in the interview- that's the kinda real it was good of him to show on tv.
    Worthy of a thank you.

kcass
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

Oropharyngeal cancer is supposedly the C he has, though "throat C-" is usually just what is stated.

Oropharyngeal cancer is a disease which malignant cells form in the tissue of oropharynx. Oropharynx is a middle part of the throat which includes the base of the tongue, the tonsils, the soft palate, and the walls of the pharynx.

After my earlier post on this thread, I watched his interview with Oprah on the net, and have a new respect for Mr. Douglas. Not possible to know if he really did look at it from the start as he said in the interview; however, taking him at his word, I think he showed us a perspective of strength that is good to have at the start of the journey he has in common with us. And for that, perhaps he will help someone just getting started. Ain't exactly "come what may," but it ain't so far away. And to be shaken, as he truly was, in the interview- that's the kinda real it was good of him to show on tv.
    Worthy of a thank you.

kcass

M Douglas

I am glad he got rid of his cancer as I don’t wish this stuff on anyone.

Hondo
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    rozaroo said:

Michael!
    God Bless Roz

Thanks Sister
    Thanks Roz....
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Thanks Sister
    Thanks Roz....

He was very dignified
    I saw the interview and Oprah kept bringing the conversation back to cancer as he was on to talk about the cancer, his wifes' depression and treatment and his upcomming role as Liberaci with Matt Damion as his 'Lover'. I give him credit and found him to be honest and genuine. He is sponsoring free head and neck cancer screenings around the country. I thought his comment about his wife's depression was very insightful. He said, "My ex wife is sueing me, my son is in federal prison, and I was just diagnosed with cancer, you want to talk about depression". The point being who was she going to tell that she was depressed? Every bit of awareness helps our cause and I'm glad he and his family are getting better. Can't wait for the movie!
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Options
    ratface said:

He was very dignified
    I saw the interview and Oprah kept bringing the conversation back to cancer as he was on to talk about the cancer, his wifes' depression and treatment and his upcomming role as Liberaci with Matt Damion as his 'Lover'. I give him credit and found him to be honest and genuine. He is sponsoring free head and neck cancer screenings around the country. I thought his comment about his wife's depression was very insightful. He said, "My ex wife is sueing me, my son is in federal prison, and I was just diagnosed with cancer, you want to talk about depression". The point being who was she going to tell that she was depressed? Every bit of awareness helps our cause and I'm glad he and his family are getting better. Can't wait for the movie!

ah!
    Well said, my friend, with respect to the wife's depression, and a most acute observation. We do lose track of our caregivers.

Take care,

Joe
  • soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

Pausing to fight back tears, the actor said, "Wow! I know that I'm much closer to my friends and family. I have a much deeper appreciation of family and friends. I was moved by the outpouring of support and I was truly overwhelmed by the fan support."

And he revealed he has discovered a new appreciation for religion following his cancer fight.

The Wall Street star added, "For somebody who has no formal education... the amount of prayers and support that I received worldwide, I think truly did have an influence... in what happened."

But Douglas insists his dogged determination to get on with things really helped him win his first battle with cancer: "You got cancer, you gotta take care of business and they tell you, 'You've got seven weeks of radiation and chemo...' you kind of dive in and do it. I'm the type of person when they're sick... I don't like a lot of fuss or attention... So I got on with it."

(I have a sneaking suspicion, if they were genuine tears he was fighting back, that he really did step into our shoes for a little while. Which is cool.)

kcass

I get it
    Not to rain on this parade (and I won't), but I started out as a 'hater', as they say, when it came to all of the attention provided to celebrities for their cancer. Why, I wondered, was their cancer any more worthy of national news than mine?

I know, I know, extremely naive on my part, you might think, and you would be right.

Still, I admit, it kind of ticked me off. They, to my way of thinking, are no better than me, and deserve no more attention for their maladies than I do.

That, I still believe, by the way.

But I have come to realize, and I admit I am a slow learner, that when celebrities contract cancer, even if we do not wish it upon them, certainly do not wish it upon them, it is good for the cause, for the revelation of what the rest of us are going through.

I submit that on occasion (at least) my ego can be as large as Donald Trump's hair. Perhaps it is that that gets in the way sometimes of accepting how celebrities get whatever cancer glitter there is. They are tough, they are resilient, they are brave, they are stoic, they are persevering despite enormous odds, all of that.

So am I. So are you.

But I get it.

Take care,

Joe