SECOND HAND SMOKE EXPOSURE

Options
luv4lacrosse
luv4lacrosse Member Posts: 1,410 Member
I have employees who smoke, and can only smoke in a large area, (10,000 sq ft warehouse)

My office is 50-75 ft away from where they smoke. If I can smell it,should I be concerned?

If I have to go out where they are smoking, I stand 15-20 ft away.

Any thoughts??

Best!!

Mike

Comments

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Smokers
    I'm sorry to offend any remaining smokers here...but it does irritate me as well. The majority of entrances to the building I work in also have designated smoke areas in the same place. Since we all enter the building directly from the parking garage, I guess the areas and distance to entrances are exempt....

I wouldn't think in your case they should be allowed to smoke within the entire building.... Anyways, I would say if you can smell it, you are being exposed.

Anyway of possibly having some kind of air cleaning system installed, or ozone generator to help neutralize your exposure, even if you bought a portable, it might help you?

Best,
    John
  • Irishgypsie
    Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Smokers
    I'm sorry to offend any remaining smokers here...but it does irritate me as well. The majority of entrances to the building I work in also have designated smoke areas in the same place. Since we all enter the building directly from the parking garage, I guess the areas and distance to entrances are exempt....

I wouldn't think in your case they should be allowed to smoke within the entire building.... Anyways, I would say if you can smell it, you are being exposed.

Anyway of possibly having some kind of air cleaning system installed, or ozone generator to help neutralize your exposure, even if you bought a portable, it might help you?

Best,
    John

Just sayin!
    Your cancer wasn't caused by 2nd hand smoke, I wouldn't worry about it! Just sayin!!

Charles
  • fisrpotpe
    fisrpotpe Member Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Mike Mike Mike
    No way should anyone be allow to smoke inside any building. Plus I do not think they ought to be allowed to smoke at entrances, exits, overhead doors, operating windows. Would you ride a bike on a four lane busy highway with no emergency lanes.

I worked construction and once the building starts to get inclosed there is no smoking as mentioned above. I was General Superindent for the company and once I started it after my return many other company's followed. So did the owners of the company I worked for, it made it easy for them to do it.

It's your choice and this is my opinion.

John
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options

Just sayin!
    Your cancer wasn't caused by 2nd hand smoke, I wouldn't worry about it! Just sayin!!

Charles

Personally
    I've never boughten into the second hand smoke thing. The science behind it is reputed to be shoddy/unscientific. And, who gets the most second hand smoke? Smokers, because they're always around their smoke, of course.

I used to smoke, and when Iowa outlawed smoking in the workplace there was a lotta debate about it. I work in a factory with large machines and large rooms, and it's almost comic that smoking was banned. The bigger threat was coolant mist being spread around the factory- a coolant no longer used, due to findings that it caused nerve damage. The new coolant eats paint off the machines, so that's a heckuva improvement. Lotta chemicals in my workplace. As for smoking, just part of the government program to make tobacco smoking obsolete, I reckon. To me, the only threat that second hand poses for me is the smelling of it trying to entice me to smoke again. If one was in a small room or car with a smoker(s), or worked closely beside a smoker, maybe then, but just smelling it from afar likely is no cause for real concern, in my opinion.

kcass
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    fisrpotpe said:

Mike Mike Mike
    No way should anyone be allow to smoke inside any building. Plus I do not think they ought to be allowed to smoke at entrances, exits, overhead doors, operating windows. Would you ride a bike on a four lane busy highway with no emergency lanes.

I worked construction and once the building starts to get inclosed there is no smoking as mentioned above. I was General Superindent for the company and once I started it after my return many other company's followed. So did the owners of the company I worked for, it made it easy for them to do it.

It's your choice and this is my opinion.

John

I'm an ex smoker, but I
    I'm an ex smoker, but I never smoked indoors. I don't want anyone smoking around me any more, I cough and hack enough as it is. Whether you believe the second hand smoke argument or not it stinks! I don't think the employee should be allowed to smoke indoors. Most everywhere here in PA you cannot. I cannot stand that smell anymore. It's so weird because if I would smoke too, it wouldn't bother me. I was a very few and far between smoker. Then when I left my ex husband I was so stressed I started smoking again. About a pack a week. I stopped when I was diagnosed and I have no plans on ever smoking again.

My last appointment at the hospital, I got into it with some guy smoking at the shuttle station. It's a no smoking property, and it's posted everywhere. We were standing in the little shuttle cubicle and the smoke was killing me. I asked nicely if he could put it out, and pointed to the no smoking sign. He told me to f-off. Nice. So, I got my phone and called security, and told the shuttle driver, there was a security officer waiting at our first stop. Jerk.
  • buzz99
    buzz99 Member Posts: 404
    Options
    Smoking
    Before there were smoking bans in public places, I was really bothered by people smoking around me. It certainly is not appealing in a restaurant to have people smoking around you. Unbelieveably, many years ago, smoking was actually allowed in the nurses station in a hospital where I worked. I tried, without success, to get it banned. I think it is rude for a smoker to light up in front of a non-smoker without asking for permission even though second hand smoke may not be a health hazard.
  • Skiffin16
    Options

I'm an ex smoker, but I
    I'm an ex smoker, but I never smoked indoors. I don't want anyone smoking around me any more, I cough and hack enough as it is. Whether you believe the second hand smoke argument or not it stinks! I don't think the employee should be allowed to smoke indoors. Most everywhere here in PA you cannot. I cannot stand that smell anymore. It's so weird because if I would smoke too, it wouldn't bother me. I was a very few and far between smoker. Then when I left my ex husband I was so stressed I started smoking again. About a pack a week. I stopped when I was diagnosed and I have no plans on ever smoking again.

My last appointment at the hospital, I got into it with some guy smoking at the shuttle station. It's a no smoking property, and it's posted everywhere. We were standing in the little shuttle cubicle and the smoke was killing me. I asked nicely if he could put it out, and pointed to the no smoking sign. He told me to f-off. Nice. So, I got my phone and called security, and told the shuttle driver, there was a security officer waiting at our first stop. Jerk.

Good For You
    LOL, you are such a fiesty little fire caracker..... He's just lucky you didn't punch him in the throat.

It bothers me also (smelling it)..., not usually as vocal as you were though. Unless it's someone that wants to partake within my house or automobile.

What always amazes me is smokers within the medical community. I see medical employees outside of my cancer center smoking....it just makes me wonder where their heads are.

I know it's a terribly addictive habit, just one that I've never understood considering the knowledge and facts on the ill effects.

JG
  • jeepman
    jeepman Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Good For You
    LOL, you are such a fiesty little fire caracker..... He's just lucky you didn't punch him in the throat.

It bothers me also (smelling it)..., not usually as vocal as you were though. Unless it's someone that wants to partake within my house or automobile.

What always amazes me is smokers within the medical community. I see medical employees outside of my cancer center smoking....it just makes me wonder where their heads are.

I know it's a terribly addictive habit, just one that I've never understood considering the knowledge and facts on the ill effects.

JG

I quit many years ago
    JG,

I quit many years ago, I smoked about a pack a day for around 10 years. Quitting for me was tough, but once I had laid it down for several years, I grew to HATE the smell and being around smokers. Not to say that I hate people that smoke, just the horrible smell associated with it.
    Many of my friends still use tobacco products, never really understood the dipping thing, just think it is nasty. And they say that it is more addictive that smoking....that's powerful stuff. Nothing good can come from using any type of tobacco products. Sorry to sound like a hater, because I am not one, I just dont like that stuff.

Mike
  • Fire34
    Fire34 Member Posts: 365
    Options
    buzz99 said:

Smoking
    Before there were smoking bans in public places, I was really bothered by people smoking around me. It certainly is not appealing in a restaurant to have people smoking around you. Unbelieveably, many years ago, smoking was actually allowed in the nurses station in a hospital where I worked. I tried, without success, to get it banned. I think it is rude for a smoker to light up in front of a non-smoker without asking for permission even though second hand smoke may not be a health hazard.

Avid Non-smoker here
    My wife and I are most vocal about not smoking. Just like buzz I was glad on the ban in public places. I also dont like that they can smoke in front of entrances either.
    the second hand smoke thing, I believe my dad gave my mom her cancer from second hand smoke. They were married over 50 years and my dad smoked so much you had to cut it with a knife to see him at the other end of the room. Needless to say I got out asap. I dont know about any research but my money is on that second hand smoke does cause cancer
    Dave
  • Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    Fire34 said:

Avid Non-smoker here
    My wife and I are most vocal about not smoking. Just like buzz I was glad on the ban in public places. I also dont like that they can smoke in front of entrances either.
    the second hand smoke thing, I believe my dad gave my mom her cancer from second hand smoke. They were married over 50 years and my dad smoked so much you had to cut it with a knife to see him at the other end of the room. Needless to say I got out asap. I dont know about any research but my money is on that second hand smoke does cause cancer
    Dave

You're right-
    that it is wrong for smokers to expose non-smokers to their smoke, especially when they really are- which is in enclosed areas where one really does take-in more than a passing whiff of it. The only problem I've ever had with it is the government's agenda against it with questionable science. The obvious is that smokers not only get the mega-direct smoke with smoking, but they also get the second-hand by always being around their own smoke. And still it seems smokers can do that for 30-plus years without the C complication, as the majority don't get C until in their 50s (of course there are exceptions on both sides of the 50s).

The main reason I'm making this second post on this thread is a little tidbit about the Chew. Babe Ruth, who may be the most famous person to have NPC, supposedly started with the Chew when he was in Grade School in Baltimore. Heard this about a year ago. A number of co-workers did/have done Chew for many years, so I tried it, and took a liking to it for about a year- until those two NPC tumors showed on the left side of my neck back in 11/08. Seems to me that Chew is just asking for oral C- bigtime, and am glad I quit with no more damage than has been done.

kcass
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

Good For You

JG

Punch him in the throat???!! Lol
    Fiesty little firecracker?? Gee, I have no idea where you're getting that from? You cannot possibly be talking about this little Sicilian. I just can't imagine...... ;-)
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

You're right-
    that it is wrong for smokers to expose non-smokers to their smoke, especially when they really are- which is in enclosed areas where one really does take-in more than a passing whiff of it. The only problem I've ever had with it is the government's agenda against it with questionable science. The obvious is that smokers not only get the mega-direct smoke with smoking, but they also get the second-hand by always being around their own smoke. And still it seems smokers can do that for 30-plus years without the C complication, as the majority don't get C until in their 50s (of course there are exceptions on both sides of the 50s).

The main reason I'm making this second post on this thread is a little tidbit about the Chew. Babe Ruth, who may be the most famous person to have NPC, supposedly started with the Chew when he was in Grade School in Baltimore. Heard this about a year ago. A number of co-workers did/have done Chew for many years, so I tried it, and took a liking to it for about a year- until those two NPC tumors showed on the left side of my neck back in 11/08. Seems to me that Chew is just asking for oral C- bigtime, and am glad I quit with no more damage than has been done.

kcass

Smoking

I am not too sure if the second hand smoke is really bad for you or not. I do know I don’t like the smell of it or if I am close to someone who is smoking I can smell it all day long it gets in my clothes I guess.

I believe people who want to smoke have the right to smoke, and people who don’t want to smoke also have the right not to smoke. The problem comes when people who are smoking let there smoke get in the way of people who don’t smoke.

In Louisiana you can not smoke in any building or public place. At my office there are areas outside the building for anyone who wants to smoke, these area are well ventilated, you can be 20 feet away from it and never know someone was smoking.

Just my take
    Hondo
  • mswijiknyc
    mswijiknyc Member Posts: 421
    Options
    my cent and a half
    I'm working on being a non-smoker (work in progress and I have one person who is steadily on my a$$ about it) but I follow rules. Here in NY, no smoking inside buildings. Even at home, I go outside; and no smoking in the car. When I'm out, I find the most out of the way place that is no where near the entrance to a building. Also in NYC they have banned smoking in almost all public places - parks, beaches, and courtyard type areas too.

The way I look at it, yes this is bad for me. If I'm outside, 10 - 20 feet away from an entryway/doorway, and the breeze is blowing AWAY from the door I should be non offensive. I'm weird anyway - can't stand the smell on my clothes or the smoke near my face.

Yes I'm a ball of contradictions. Work in progress.
  • Skiffin16
    Options

my cent and a half
    I'm working on being a non-smoker (work in progress and I have one person who is steadily on my a$$ about it) but I follow rules. Here in NY, no smoking inside buildings. Even at home, I go outside; and no smoking in the car. When I'm out, I find the most out of the way place that is no where near the entrance to a building. Also in NYC they have banned smoking in almost all public places - parks, beaches, and courtyard type areas too.

The way I look at it, yes this is bad for me. If I'm outside, 10 - 20 feet away from an entryway/doorway, and the breeze is blowing AWAY from the door I should be non offensive. I'm weird anyway - can't stand the smell on my clothes or the smoke near my face.

Yes I'm a ball of contradictions. Work in progress.

Good for You - Work in Progress
    As HONDO says, you too are a work in progress....at least you are aware, sensitive to others and are trying to kick the habit...

Best,
    John