Four rounds of chemo, will I need a VAP?

Options
2»

Comments

• scott72
    scott72 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    ender said:

Thanks for the advice,
    Thanks for the advice, Scott. I just had so many surgeries lately, and I guess Im just hoping not to have another one. I will definitely try to get an honest pros and cons list from my MO given my circumstances. I hope you and your wife are both staying well. I plan to kick some cancer butt myself ;)

Eva

My wifes masectomy was her
    My wifes masectomy was her deciding factor too. If its not neccesary let your body heal. You will be fine without one. You will kick its butt! I can tell. Technology in these cancer centers are amazing. You will be in good hands.
  • scott72
    scott72 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    ender said:

Thanks for the advice,
    Thanks for the advice, Scott. I just had so many surgeries lately, and I guess Im just hoping not to have another one. I will definitely try to get an honest pros and cons list from my MO given my circumstances. I hope you and your wife are both staying well. I plan to kick some cancer butt myself ;)

Eva

My wifes masectomy was her deciding factor too. If its not neccesary let your body heal. You will be fine without one. You will kick its butt! I can tell. Technology in these cancer centers are amazing. You will be in good hands.
  • ender
    ender Member Posts: 167
    Options
    scott72 said:

Thank you for your kind
    Thank you for your kind words of comfort. The support of members on this forum is helping me think about all relevant issues such that I can make informed decisions for myself. All doctors on my team are UCSF grads and some even faculty. I feel very lucky to have some of the countries best doctors on my team. My best to your wife.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    ender said:

Thank you for your kind
    Thank you for your kind words of comfort. The support of members on this forum is helping me think about all relevant issues such that I can make informed decisions for myself. All doctors on my team are UCSF grads and some even faculty. I feel very lucky to have some of the countries best doctors on my team. My best to your wife.

Same chemo ..
    As you...4 infusions... They would only use the one arm...my MO said with 4 infusions, I could mange without one and that was fine by me...I didn't want another surgery if not necessary....I did fine...the last infusion they did have to stick me 3 times, but for mr that was preferable to surgery for a port....I only had 3 lymph nodes removed....but they still would only use the one arm...

I wish you the best!
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    ender said:

Thank you for your kind

Ask your surgeon about blood draws
    I had chemo back in 1987, so much has changed! I had as many nodes removed as possible from the left side (what they did back then). My surgeon said I could have blood draws from that side but NEVER any infusions or IV's of any kind. Back then I had a 6 month course of chemo with one good vein and, miraculously, my chemo nurse got it every time--never had a port.

I have followed his advice and now, back in treatment again (after 24 years), I have infusions in my right arm, but I have all blood draws from my left (trying to save my few veins). I have been on IV treatment (zometa not chemo) once a month for 2 years and, so far, my pitiful right arm veins are holding out. I never, ever do lab draws from that right arm--only from the left.

But please ask your surgeon if this is right for you. You are in my prayers.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    carkris said:

I had 4 rounds of AC and 12
    I had 4 rounds of AC and 12 of taxol. I did not have a port. I also used both arems as i am bilateral. It is controversial but I felt ok with it. I did have issues with veins but you should be ok.
    My hair grew back darker and curly I just dyed it!!!

Eva, I want to say good luck
    Eva, I want to say good luck to you with your chemo treatment.

Hugs, Leeza
  • ender
    Options
    MAJW said:

Same chemo ..
    As you...4 infusions... They would only use the one arm...my MO said with 4 infusions, I could mange without one and that was fine by me...I didn't want another surgery if not necessary....I did fine...the last infusion they did have to stick me 3 times, but for mr that was preferable to surgery for a port....I only had 3 lymph nodes removed....but they still would only use the one arm...

I wish you the best!

Thank you Majw. Your
    Thank you Majw. Your experience sounds like mine. I just had three centinal nodes removed, but they still don't want to use that arm. Im always told I have "great veins" so hopefully I will make do well without a port. Im glad you did well without one! Wish you the best.
  • ender
    Options

Ask your surgeon about blood draws
    I had chemo back in 1987, so much has changed! I had as many nodes removed as possible from the left side (what they did back then). My surgeon said I could have blood draws from that side but NEVER any infusions or IV's of any kind. Back then I had a 6 month course of chemo with one good vein and, miraculously, my chemo nurse got it every time--never had a port.

I have followed his advice and now, back in treatment again (after 24 years), I have infusions in my right arm, but I have all blood draws from my left (trying to save my few veins). I have been on IV treatment (zometa not chemo) once a month for 2 years and, so far, my pitiful right arm veins are holding out. I never, ever do lab draws from that right arm--only from the left.

But please ask your surgeon if this is right for you. You are in my prayers.

First off, Im sorry to hear
    First off, Im sorry to hear you are back in treatment. But Im also glad to hear you have done well for so long. Sounds like you had a great nurse, can I get me one of those? ;)
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    ender said:

Thanks for the advice,

Eva

Wishing you good luck Eva!

Hugs, Debby
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Options
    DebbyM said:

Hugs, Debby

Port
    I had the same cocktail as you but I opted for a port...and very glad I did! First of all, the surgery was very simple and this was after having my lumpectomy, re-excision, sentinel lymph node biopsy and axillary dissection. I didn't hesitate a minute about having it put in. It was taken out in the hospital but not in a surgical area. In fact, my husband was in there with me.

Everyone is different (how many times have you heard that on this forum???) but my veins are horrible and they used it for chemo and all my blood draws.

I had it taken out May of 2010 so it was in about 1 year!

Good luck with whatever decision you make!!
  • DebbyM
    Options

I am sorry about your
    I am sorry about your diagnosis and to have to meet you here, but am glad you found us! And, I am glad you are going to be able to harvest some eggs to help preserve your fertility. I am starting the same cocktail this coming Friday, 4x also and my MO just told me on Thursday that he thinks I'll do fine without a port. It looks like we'll be traveling this road together huh?

Nancy

Adding my good luck to you
    Adding my good luck to you for chemo!
  • DebbyM
    Options

I am sorry about your
    I am sorry about your diagnosis and to have to meet you here, but am glad you found us! And, I am glad you are going to be able to harvest some eggs to help preserve your fertility. I am starting the same cocktail this coming Friday, 4x also and my MO just told me on Thursday that he thinks I'll do fine without a port. It looks like we'll be traveling this road together huh?

Nancy

Adding my good luck for
    Adding my good luck for chemo.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    pattimc said:

Port
    I had the same cocktail as you but I opted for a port...and very glad I did! First of all, the surgery was very simple and this was after having my lumpectomy, re-excision, sentinel lymph node biopsy and axillary dissection. I didn't hesitate a minute about having it put in. It was taken out in the hospital but not in a surgical area. In fact, my husband was in there with me.

Everyone is different (how many times have you heard that on this forum???) but my veins are horrible and they used it for chemo and all my blood draws.

I had it taken out May of 2010 so it was in about 1 year!

Good luck with whatever decision you make!!

I LOVE MY PORT !!!
    I'm not sure I could have done it without a port ... emotionally. I'm terrified of needles and the thought of being poked and prodded ... looking for a vein ... scared me to the point that I think I would have said "NO!" to chemo.

The port made it soooooo easy. One tiny little prick ... and I was plugged in and ready for the treatment. A breeze!

hugs.
    teena
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    carkris said:

I had 4 rounds of AC and 12
    I had 4 rounds of AC and 12 of taxol. I did not have a port. I also used both arems as i am bilateral. It is controversial but I felt ok with it. I did have issues with veins but you should be ok.
    My hair grew back darker and curly I just dyed it!!!

Wanted to wish you good luck
    Wanted to wish you good luck Eva!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    tgf said:

I LOVE MY PORT !!!
    I'm not sure I could have done it without a port ... emotionally. I'm terrified of needles and the thought of being poked and prodded ... looking for a vein ... scared me to the point that I think I would have said "NO!" to chemo.

The port made it soooooo easy. One tiny little prick ... and I was plugged in and ready for the treatment. A breeze!

hugs.
    teena

Good luck this Friday Eva!
    Good luck this Friday Eva! Will be thinking of you!

HUGS!
  • ender
    Options
    susie09 said:

Good luck this Friday Eva!
    Good luck this Friday Eva! Will be thinking of you!

HUGS!

Thanks you guys! Meeting
    Thanks you guys! Meeting with my MO this afternoon to talk about it :)

Eva
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    ender said:

Thanks you guys! Meeting
    Thanks you guys! Meeting with my MO this afternoon to talk about it :)

Eva

Love your attitude, Eva
    about "kicking some cancer butt"! Attitude is so important with this disease. I had 6 rounds of TAC and had a port. At first I was a bit squeamish about it, but both my surgeon and onc. said it was the way to go, so I went with my experts and never regretted it. I had no problems with it and was glad they didn't have to use veins. When treatment was over, my surgeon removed it in his office under local and it was painless and quick.

Good luck with your journey, and check in with us often. I found this forum to be my best resource for information as well as a place I could come to rant, rave, cry, or rejoice. The support here is tremendous and everyone is wonderful.

Hugs, Renee
  • ender
    Options
    missrenee said:

Love your attitude, Eva
    about "kicking some cancer butt"! Attitude is so important with this disease. I had 6 rounds of TAC and had a port. At first I was a bit squeamish about it, but both my surgeon and onc. said it was the way to go, so I went with my experts and never regretted it. I had no problems with it and was glad they didn't have to use veins. When treatment was over, my surgeon removed it in his office under local and it was painless and quick.

Good luck with your journey, and check in with us often. I found this forum to be my best resource for information as well as a place I could come to rant, rave, cry, or rejoice. The support here is tremendous and everyone is wonderful.

Hugs, Renee

Thanks Renee!
    Just spoke to

Thanks Renee!

Just spoke to my MO yesterday. She liked my veins but we went to double check with the chemo nurses at the practice. They also said I have stellar veins, so Im going without a port. Actually, my main reason for going without the port is that I just want to start the chemo ASAP. I will get to start next week.

Im also hoping to start my radiation half way through chemo. I just want all the treatment ASAP, not because treatment is an inconvenience in my life, but just because it is my non-scientifically based hunch that "the sooner the more effective". My radiologist told me that this fall they will start giving one "boost" of radiation as you surgically remove the lump! That tells me some smart medical researches have found out that "the sooner the better" is the way to go. However, the radiologist told me to call her half way through my chemo so that I could confirm that I was really as tough as I claimed to be ;)

Eva