I don't get it

Options
smokeyjoe
smokeyjoe Member Posts: 1,425 Member
Ever since my resection have had runny stomach, so was instructed to take Immodium, and have done so ever since Dec. While at drug store I decided to pick up pro-biotics for my tummy just to see what result I would get. Guess what no Immodium and solid stools!!! Why the heck wouldn't doctors recommend taking probiotics insead of just going straight to immodium, it's been months of visits and you'd think they would say try this??
I eat yogurt, but obviously wasn't getting enough to resolve my problem. Got thinking after I saw the post Idlehunters had about her missing enzymes. Once again I have learned more from this board that I do from the doc's.

Comments

• idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    YAY smokeyjoe!!!!
    Glad my experience could help you!!! YAY..... I too have found so much good advice from this forum. Doctors just don't live what we live... that makes all the difference...real people...real experiences! Take care

Jennie
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    yes you do!
    hi smokeyjoe,

its also obvious to me that we need the best health advice we can obtain.
    and its clear doctors don't have all the answers and its negligent for them to pretend they do.

our bodies,
    our health,
    our responsibility.

i had the same issues with diarrhea and posted about probiotics months ago.

thanks for sharing your success and our board is wonderful.

hugs,
    pete
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

YAY smokeyjoe!!!!
    Glad my experience could help you!!! YAY..... I too have found so much good advice from this forum. Doctors just don't live what we live... that makes all the difference...real people...real experiences! Take care

Jennie

Hi Jennie, I just wanted to

Hi Jennie, I just wanted to send you a quick 'Thanks!' for the pro-biotic suggestion. I've had a "runny stomach" too for the past four days (and while on vacation too - ugh), and was about to send Rick out for Imodium, when I saw this post. Rick asked the pharmacist about the pro-biotics, and he too recommended that I try them before using the Imodium since that can cause additional problems. The pro-biotics will now become part of my daily vitamin regime. And since I'm also lactose intolerant, they should help me feel better overall. :-) Thank you!!! Luv, Cynthia :-)
  • kuastoi
    kuastoi Member Posts: 63
    Options

yes you do!
    hi smokeyjoe,

and its clear doctors don't have all the answers and its negligent for them to pretend they do.

our bodies,
    our health,
    our responsibility.

hugs,
    pete

Home grown kefir..
    I have used this since Dx and surgery - has not failed me, never had any diarrhea and no mouth sores.

Got it mailed to me from Australia - culture it at home with milk - it's great to use although a little bit more sour than the store bought stuff. The store bought stuff is not as full a culture either as it is massed produced and sometimes even pasteurized, homegrown is cheaper too.

Tom
  • smokeyjoe
    Options
    kuastoi said:

Home grown kefir..
    I have used this since Dx and surgery - has not failed me, never had any diarrhea and no mouth sores.

Got it mailed to me from Australia - culture it at home with milk - it's great to use although a little bit more sour than the store bought stuff. The store bought stuff is not as full a culture either as it is massed produced and sometimes even pasteurized, homegrown is cheaper too.

Tom

Hey Pete, yes I find you
    Hey Pete, yes I find you posts very informative too!!! Have a question for ya'....have you done any research on Neem Tea??? I have used Neem powder on a cat for fleas, worked wonders....tried it because he had horrible allergic reaction to med. flea product. Horrible to pat him though as the stuff is very bitter, suppose that's why fleas retreat, and it has a hormal effect on the fleas too so they can't breed. Anyhow, just wondered if you have any knowledge on Neem tea as you seem to do a lot of research on alternatives.
  • smokeyjoe
    Options
    kuastoi said:

Home grown kefir..

Tom

• smokeyjoe
    Options
    kuastoi said:

Home grown kefir..

Tom

• Buckwirth
    Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

yes you do!
    hi smokeyjoe,

our bodies,
    our health,
    our responsibility.

hugs,
    pete

Pete,
    Your posts regarding probiotics referred to them as "blowing up the bag". As a fellow (though permanent) ostomite, would you mind explaining what you meant by that?