Waiting for P.E.T.

Options
ham6789
ham6789 Member Posts: 29
I am a 78 yr old man in good shape. Was dignosised 3/31/11 with esophagael adrenocarcioma. I live inLas Vegas. I went to U.C.S.D. where Dr. Savides did aEndoscopic Diagnosis, as followed: "29mm by 19mm thick circumferential esophagael mass from 30cm to 35cm located mostly along anterior, right esop. wall. EUS revealed the mass involved into muscularis propria and in some areas may have barely invaded into the peri-esophagael fat. There were two 5mm peri-esophagael lymph nodes on the gastric cardia side of the mass. Overall, this is consistent with at least a T2NO, and possibly a superficial early T3N1Mx distal esophagea;l adrenocarcioma."

I had consultations with Dr.s. Michael Bouvet(onocoly surgerian)and Shimabakuro. I have scheduled a P.E.T. for Monday 4/25/11. They have recommended a "triple Modality" of Radiation Plus Chemo Then to surgery.Radiation and Chemo to start a.s.a.p.
Since I live in Las Vegas I am investigating doing the Rad+Chemo here(at the Comp. Cancer center,of Las Vegas). I feel I have to move quickly on my treatments....

Please comment on these options?

Comments

• Curts gal
    Curts gal Member Posts: 10
    Options
    The only thing I can add is
    The only thing I can add is to be agressive. Some have waited and have gone from stage 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. My husband and myself chose three rounds chemo first to kill and cells lingering then going into the radiation and chemo. When under going radiation and chemo the chemo drugs are lessened. Then after surgery (we hope) then under go one more round of chemo to get rid of any bad cells left. I hope this helps.
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have been given excellent medical advice
    Welcome to our group. It sounds like you had many of the right tests to evaluate your tumor. You did not mention a PET or CT scan to investigate potential metastasis but I assume they have been completed in advance of the EUS?

Tri-modal therapy is certainly the "gold standard" in treatment of Stage III EC. You did not mention who you were considering as your surgeon. Many survivors here would stress that you have your surgery done at a major cancer center that treats many cases of EC surgically and offers Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy as a surgical option.

My comment would be you have been given an excellent treatment plan. I am happy you find yourself as a candidate for surgery. Do extensive research before you select the hospital and surgeon for your surgery. People here can offer recommendations based on their personal experience.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/22/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB
    12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    2/8 through 6/14/2010 Adjuvant Chemo Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    6/21/2010 CT Scan NED
    3/14/2011 CT Scan NED

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!
  • BMGky
    BMGky Member Posts: 621
    Options
    paul61 said:

Welcome to our group. It sounds like you had many of the right tests to evaluate your tumor. You did not mention a PET or CT scan to investigate potential metastasis but I assume they have been completed in advance of the EUS?

Tri-modal therapy is certainly the "gold standard" in treatment of Stage III EC. You did not mention who you were considering as your surgeon. Many survivors here would stress that you have your surgery done at a major cancer center that treats many cases of EC surgically and offers Minimally Invasive Esophagectomy as a surgical option.

My comment would be you have been given an excellent treatment plan. I am happy you find yourself as a candidate for surgery. Do extensive research before you select the hospital and surgeon for your surgery. People here can offer recommendations based on their personal experience.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams

12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    6/21/2010 CT Scan NED
    3/14/2011 CT Scan NED

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!

Paul gives excellent advice
    My husband was age 70 at diagnosis. Underwent combo radiation/chemo, time off to build up strength, and then surgery. He had the Ivor Lewis form. He had some hydration, fatigue, eating issues throughout treatment. His surgery was a year ago as of this April. At this time, following scans and PET scans and scope, they have found no evidence of disease. He is fully active and working. It takes quite a while to get strength back following surgery. I do encourage surgery. Even after his pre-treatment with chemo/radiation and a subsequent clear PET scan, upon biopsy of the removed esophagus, live cancer cells were found under scar tissue. So, get rid of that old esophagus if you can. Please keep us posted. Friends here can really help. Oh, yes. He had to have a jtube. If eating i difficult, the jtube can become a best friend. Wishing you the best.
  • ham6789
    ham6789 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    paul61 said:

Best Regards,

Paul Adams

12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    6/21/2010 CT Scan NED
    3/14/2011 CT Scan NED

P.E.T. is still scheduled
    I' ve had the upper G.I, ct scan, endoscope, Biopsy(twice),& Ultra sound. P.E.T.will be done this Monday 4/25.
    cat scan showed no evidence of abdominal metastatic other then esophagus. Iam also researching surgeons ie., Dr. Demesster @USC< Pasadena, DR. Luketich @Pittsburg, Pa, Dr. Bouvet At U.C.S.D. I am Hoping the the non-invasive technique may be in play. I still have time for this tresearch......
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator